🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GDB_Kent wrote: »
    Broadly speaking I think that a customer should pay for what they use over the course of 12 months. If I had continued at the same monthly payment through the summer as I started then after 12 payments (which started in September) I would have had a credit balance of around £450 on my account with GBE (at least two months use, possibly more). So the D/D needed to change, and has done.
    The moot point is whether we should be asked to permanently leave one month in hand with them. It clearly doesn't "worry" you; I'm not sure it "worries" me, but the element of risk in any new business is such that it makes me think, why? I had, incorrectly, assumed that the payments would be leveled after a period so that, broadly speaking, we begin and end the year at zero. It would have been helpful (to me, at least) if they had made clear that the idea is to begin and end the year at "plus one month's average usage", then at least there are no surprises. The intention of my post is to make others aware of their business model, so they don't have any surprises when they see a hefty credit balance forming.

GB's relevant Terms and Conditions are:9. Payment Method
    1. 9.1 You are responsible for paying for the supply until your Contract with us ends. If you have entered into this contract together with other people, each person will be jointly and severally liable for any money owed to us.
    2. 9.2 The method of payment that applies will be determined according to the applicable tariff.
    3. 9.3 When the payment method is by Direct Debit;
      1. 9.3.1 The amount of the Direct Debit will be determined initially according to your estimated annual consumption,
      2. 9.3.2 The Direct Debit will be taken the day after the cancellation period referred to in clause 7 ends and monthly thereafter.
      3. 9.3.3 Will be adjusted to the appropriate amount following our receipt of a meter reading, supplied by you or taken by us of the actual Energy consumed at the premises
      4. 9.3.4 Advised to you following our receipt of a meter reading, supplied by you or taken by us at least 7 days prior to being collected by us.
      5. 9.3.5 We will act in accordance with the Direct Debit Guarantee.
    You should be able to get the 12 month balance down to realistic levels. The original estimate and resulting DD appears far too high.
  • Uranawho
    Options
    I joined GB energy at the start of the year after seeing my bills from SSE
    ( Hydro Electric) getting out of control. No matter how much I tried to cut my electricity use my SSE bills seemed to increase. It was a bit of a risk to move to GB energy as I had never moved supplier before , however I am delighted I changed. I had an easy transition and I am saving a small fortune. With SSE I was paying over 0.17p per unit and from memory about 0.10P for off peak. I researched GB energy and choose a tariff that charged same price for standard and off peak and it's worked brilliantly for me. I'm now paying £83 per month for call my electric and I am always a little bit in credit. It's working out just over 0.9p per unit. In contrast SSE were estimating my bills at over £200 per month when I decided to leave them. When I did my calculations for moving to GB Energy I estimated I would save £900. I could hardly believe it but it's panning out to be accurate. I can't believe people buy their electric from Hydro electric - they are such a rip off. What is difficult to understand, for me, is that GB Energy buy their electric from SSE . Or at least this is what I was told. It's amazing to think that GB energy buy electric from SSE and still make a profit - how much profit SSE must scam off their customers is hArd to believe.

So far GB Energy have been a very efficient company for me. The only one hitch I had was putting in my electric reading one month - Website did not accept the numbers. However I phoned them and got through quickly to an efficent guy and it was sorted out immediately. That's been the only slight issue I have had . SSE on the other hand, I don't even want to go there. They should be at the top for ' Rip off Britain' trophy.

I'm saving a small fortune and I only have a small cottage in Aberdeenshire so I can imagine bigger properties will save much more. I'm trying to get my neighbour to shift to GB energy as he is paying over £200 per month. Ive told him how effecient and good priced there are , however he hasnt moved provider as yet.
  • Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Uranawho wrote: »
    I joined GB energy at the start of the year after seeing my bills from SSE
    ( Hydro Electric) getting out of control. No matter how much I tried to cut my electricity use my SSE bills seemed to increase. It was a bit of a risk to move to GB energy as I had never moved supplier before , however I am delighted I changed. I had an easy transition and I am saving a small fortune. With SSE I was paying over 0.17p per unit and from memory about 0.10P for off peak. I researched GB energy and choose a tariff that charged same price for standard and off peak and it's worked brilliantly for me. I'm now paying £83 per month for call my electric and I am always a little bit in credit. It's working out just over 0.9p per unit. In contrast SSE were estimating my bills at over £200 per month when I decided to leave them. When I did my calculations for moving to GB Energy I estimated I would save £900. I could hardly believe it but it's panning out to be accurate. I can't believe people buy their electric from Hydro electric - they are such a rip off. What is difficult to understand, for me, is that GB Energy buy their electric from SSE . Or at least this is what I was told. It's amazing to think that GB energy buy electric from SSE and still make a profit - how much profit SSE must scam off their customers is hArd to believe.

So far GB Energy have been a very efficient company for me. The only one hitch I had was putting in my electric reading one month - Website did not accept the numbers. However I phoned them and got through quickly to an efficent guy and it was sorted out immediately. That's been the only slight issue I have had . SSE on the other hand, I don't even want to go there. They should be at the top for ' Rip off Britain' trophy.

I'm saving a small fortune and I only have a small cottage in Aberdeenshire so I can imagine bigger properties will save much more. I'm trying to get my neighbour to shift to GB energy as he is paying over £200 per month. Ive told him how effecient and good priced there are , however he hasnt moved provider as yet.

£83 per month in electric for a "small cottage" ? :eek:

My place is all electric and I have 5 PCs running 24/7 as well as 2 server racks and my monthly bill is less than that!
  • drewstew
    drewstew Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    As a new customer, I noticed exactly the same - sent readings on the day I was asked for them - bill appeared with estimated readings for a week later. I've suggested to them that if they want readings a week later, they make that clear!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    drewstew wrote: »
    As a new customer, I noticed exactly the same - sent readings on the day I was asked for them - bill appeared with estimated readings for a week later. I've suggested to them that if they want readings a week later, they make that clear!

I suspect that the problem GB has is that not all its customers drop everything and provide a meter reading on the day that it is requested. That said, I agree that they could make it clearer in their FAQs how their billing system works in practice.
  • saharajack
    Options
    I switched across from British Gas a few months ago on the promise that my combined gas/electricity bills would drop over £400 pa. I'm paying c £100pm, instead of c £140 pm, and both my summer bills have been about £70-80 pm, so time will tell what they will rise to over the winter months. The energy bill has just risen by 7%, and I was offered to change tariff (from Variable Rate to Fixed 12 Crystal tariff) so as not to pay more, but I cannot see how an internal tariff change will override their energy increase? I was also advised after one month that they were changing to quarterly billing. Web site is easy to set up, and easy to submit monthly energy readings.
  • backfoot
    Options
    saharajack wrote: »
    I switched across from British Gas a few months ago on the promise that my combined gas/electricity bills would drop over £400 pa. I'm paying c £100pm, instead of c £140 pm, and both my summer bills have been about £70-80 pm, so time will tell what they will rise to over the winter months. The energy bill has just risen by 7%, and I was offered to change tariff (from Variable Rate to Fixed 12 Crystal tariff) so as not to pay more, but I cannot see how an internal tariff change will override their energy increase? I was also advised after one month that they were changing to quarterly billing. Web site is easy to set up, and easy to submit monthly energy readings.

It would be a good time to recheck the whole market for your best offer.

Use a comparison website to find the best deal based on the annual unit estimates shown on the latest GB Energy bill. Look at all suppliers not just the big six.

I recommend seeing if you can make further savings by splitting gas and electricity. For example GB's electricity rates are very good as a single supplier and you can then choose the best offer.

The Crystal tariff is cheaper than the variable rate you are on. (in my region). It will lead to marginally lower costs overall. Don't just judge this on your DD payments as your energy consumption is a key factor and monitoring that consumption can lead to excellent savings.:)
  • Jason1234
    Options
    GB energy supplies have just notified customers of price increase however they offer a fix on Crystal 12 plan BUT BEWARE they don't tell you they have increased the standing charges on both gas and electricity Scottish Power standing charge 50% lower. Swap time. Only been with GB 10 months friends and family still waiting for increase letter so seams they hit you after 10 months
  • backfoot
    Options
    Jason1234 wrote: »
    GB energy supplies have just notified customers of price increase however they offer a fix on Crystal 12 plan BUT BEWARE they don't tell you they have increased the standing charges on both gas and electricity Scottish Power standing charge 50% lower. Swap time. Only been with GB 10 months friends and family still waiting for increase letter so seams they hit you after 10 months

The Standing charge for both gas and electricity for my region is lower for GB Energy Crystal 12 than Scottish Power Online Fixed Price Energy July 2017.

More relevant would be a full comparison of all Suppliers of unit consumption and Standing Charges. you may also want to try splitting gas and electricity which has led to further savings for many customers.
  • Surfmaster
    Options
    Please watch your account balance with GB Energy.
    I discovered that I was over £300 in credit.
    When I asked for a refund, they insisted that I resubmit my meter readings, when I had just done so I forgot to do this, so they sat on my money.
    I asked again, just after submitting my meter readings.
    This is the reply I got:

If someone to tell me how to post a rating for GB Energy
    "Thank you for contacting GB Energy Supply about a credit refund.

After looking on your account we have discovered a billing issue which had caused you not to be billed for your energy usage to date. This has been resolved and we have been able to generate an up to date bill using the readings you provided on the 3rd of August. We can see that you currently have an account credit of £79.73.

We remind customers that bills during the warm months tend to be less than for the cold months when more heating is usually required. Because of this credit tends to build throughout the summer, ready to be used for higher bills during the winter months.

We do advise customers keep 2 Direct Debit payments (2 x £55 = £110) or £150 - whichever is greater - in their account in case of emergencies or unexpected usage.

We would not advise a credit refund at present but ultimately the decision is yours.

Please advise whether you would like to proceed with a credit refund and the quantity you desire.

We do need to make you aware that GB Energy Supply cannot be held responsible if a customers account credit does not cover their bills.
    Additionally, while GB Energy Supply has no leaving fees, a new supplier cannot take supply while an account is in debt.

If you do require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us by email or telephone on 0800 6444 451.

The GB Energy Supply support team are available from [FONT=&quot]8am until 8pm Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays.[/FONT]

Kind Regards,

Jonathan Grainger"

So when I asked for a refund, GB Energy suddenly decided that I had not paid enough, and took more of my credit.
    I've asked them to explain this unexpected 'billing issue', and I shall keep you informed of their reply.

If someone could tell me how to post an MSE /Cheap Energy Club rating for this supplier, I'd be grateful.
    I don't have time to hunt through MSE's site to find it, and I think GB Energy deserve some feedback... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport