GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Three weeks after cancelled with GB within cooling period, GB is still showing on National database as my prospective supplier, which stops me from switching to any other supplier and my current supplier will put me on variable tariff!
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Three weeks after cancelled with GB within cooling period, GB is still showing on National database as my prospective supplier, which stops me from switching to any other supplier and my current supplier will put me on variable tariff!

Apologies but I don't have any easy answers.

Presumably, this arose because they didn't receive/action your cancellation. How did you advise them of the cancellation and what were the relevant dates regarding application and cancellation?

What do GB Energy say about the situation? Do they now recognise your cancellation as valid or is that disputed?

What do they say is the normal timescale for correcting the situation?

If they have processed your application and are treating you as their customer would a further switch away from them be the easiest route. They don't charge exit fees and certainly I switched to them on electricity because they were the cheapest so in the meantime you are losing out too much other than frustration.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No real problems so far - switched from EDF last October. Only glitch was EDF cancelling my DD then sending me a 'red nasty' as my DD had been cancelled and I owed them a few quid...

Wouldn't accept my latest electricity reading (gas was ok), so sent secure message and sorted within a couple of days. So far so good.
  • Stay Away From GB As Far As You Can!

GB is still showing on the national database as my prospective supplier, 12 days by now after I have cancelled contract with them within the cooling period (because their mess up with my meter details and terrible customer service). This is stopping me from switching to a new supplier now. Called GB several times but they kept saying the contract has been cancelled but don't know why it's still showing on national database, telling me to wait for a few more days, and today hung up on me after I was on the phone with them for more than half an hour. seems GB not willing to do anything to solve the problem but just holding you back once you unfortunately got into their trap!
    backfoot wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how did you know within the cooling off period that they messed up your meter details? What do you mean by messed up? Are you sure it was them that messed it up?

The gas supply details were missing in the Welcome Pack. After speaking to GB, they promised would send a new Welcome Pack, which never arrived. Same as their confirmation for cancellation. Couldn't cancel online, had to call to cancel, then didn't receive confirmation as promised, again. had to call again to chase the confirmation. Terrible service.
    backfoot wrote: »
    Apologies but I don't have any easy answers.

Presumably, this arose because they didn't receive/action your cancellation. How did you advise them of the cancellation and what were the relevant dates regarding application and cancellation?

What do GB Energy say about the situation? Do they now recognise your cancellation as valid or is that disputed?

What do they say is the normal timescale for correcting the situation?

If they have processed your application and are treating you as their customer would a further switch away from them be the easiest route. They don't charge exit fees and certainly I switched to them on electricity because they were the cheapest so in the meantime you are losing out too much other than frustration.

Yes GB recognized my cancellation. I cancelled on 3rd March by phone, called on 4th to chase the confirmation email and received later. But when I signed up with another supplier, was informed because GB still on National database, they cannot switch me. Called GB again, according to them they had submitted the cancellation but does take sometime for database to update. waited another 2 weeks by when the 14 days cooling period has far passed, GB still on database, and they didn't take me over either.

From 3rd week GB started to claim they are contacting national data base through their head office, but couldn't give a time scale."It's just a waiting game" according to them, and wouldn't promise any compensation if this delay causes me any loss.

It's the gas meter that got hold of by GB,, not electricity. Plus although GB have been showing as my "prospect supplier" for more than 3 weeks now, the switch to them didn't happen so I cannot switch away from them either. All they blame is National database which I have no access to know the truth.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

It's the gas meter that got hold of by GB,, not electricity. Plus although GB have been showing as my "prospect supplier" for more than 3 weeks now, the switch to them didn't happen so I cannot switch away from them either. All they blame is National database which I have no access to know the truth.

Is your gas supplied via an IGT? If so, this involves a sub-set of additional procedures to update various systems etc. FWiW, every welcome pack that I have received over the past couple of years asks me to confirm that the meter numbers are correct to prevent any erroneous transfer,
  • stay_away_from_GB_energy
    stay_away_from_GB_energy Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2016 at 7:07PM
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »

Is your gas supplied via an IGT? If so, this involves a sub-set of additional procedures to update various systems etc. FWiW, every welcome pack that I have received over the past couple of years asks me to confirm that the meter numbers are correct to prevent any erroneous transfer,

How do I know, as an ordinary customer, about IGT? There was no details about gas meter AT ALL in the welcome pack. As I mentioned before, I called GB they promised a new welcome pack which never arrived. No mention of any problem with my gas meter by GB.

Now I suspect very much GB didn't get the correct details of my gas meter in the first place (otherwise it should have been either switched to GB by now or cancelled). I had to fill the gas MPRN manually when applied online because my address didn't come up in GB's system (I've lived at this address for more than 10 yrs, never encountered this problem with other suppliers in the past switches). I mentioned my suspicion to the person who is dealing with the matter, but not sure he really listened. Maybe it's GB's own system caused all these trouble!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »

How do I know, as an ordinary customer, about IGT? There was no details about gas meter AT ALL in the welcome pack. As I mentioned before, I called GB they promised a new welcome pack which never arrived. No mention of any problem with my gas meter by GB.

Gas meter numbers beginning with the number 74, 75, 76, or 77 are IGT UK numbers, any others belong to the National Grid. I only mention it as smaller suppliers cannot access IGT meter information and this is why the meter number doesn't appear on welcome letters. When I switched away from OVo last year I was informed that it could take up to 12 weeks to get a final bill because I was supplied by an IGT.
  • HiyaMaya
    HiyaMaya Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2016 at 5:41PM
    Options
    How are GB Energy for a totally offline customer? They were the cheapest based on comparison that still offer paper billing, but what about submitting readings? Anything else that might be a problem for a totally offline user?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Try phoning them - I signed up last week and they were superb. Instant answer, joining package by e-mail within 24 hours. dunno how they'd do by snail mail.

But I'm impressed so far. Lets just see how the actual switchover goes.

Fortunately I've only got leccy to worry about but a lot will also depend on how FU handle the transfer as well
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Mister_E
    Mister_E Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    I signed up with GB Energy for Electricity only but took them up on their cancel anytime offer contained within the welcome pack. (Why? My current provider had launched a new tariff that made moving providers of little or no benefit).

Interestingly, the welcome pack makes no mention of a cooling off period and they said I wasn't entitled to cancel by transfer as the cooling off period had elapsed.

If they hadn't have contridicted their welcome pack, I would have stuck with it but I was adament that they should honour their promise.

To cut a long story short, they cancelled my account but still had me on the national database, according to my existing provider. My existing provider does not have me with them and GB Energy do not have me on account.

I've asked Scottish Power to migrate me but I'm fully expecting this to be trauma.

It's stories like this that deter people from switching in the first place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure