Which Broadband is the most Reliable and Fastest out of these 3 ISP's?

Options
PlusNet

Sky

EE

In terms of regular broadband not superfast fibre optic service.

Comments

• Roland_Sausage
    Roland_Sausage Posts: 723 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 January 2015 at 10:28PM
    Options
    It's not really possible to say. They should all give a similar performance over the same line.

Of course people will come on and say X has been good for me, or X is slow for me, but that is usually down to nothing more than their individual circumstances.

I realise that occasionally things do go wrong at the ISP end, but generally speaking any speed or reliability problems are usually down to the length or quality of your phone line.
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's not really possible to say. They should all give a similar performance over the same line.

Of course people will come on and say X has been good for me, or X is slow for me, but that is usually down to nothing more than their individual circumstances.

I realise that occasionally things do go wrong at the ISP end, but generally speaking any speed or reliability problems are usually down to the length or quality of your phone line.

Talktalk is known to have reliability issues with their broadband with customers saying they get random drop outs. Talktalk uses BT line.

So you saying Sky, EE, and PlusNet will have the same drop out issue mentioned above because all of these 3 ISP's uses the same BT line?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They all use BT lines. So they will all be as good or as bad as your line quality.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Plusnet and Sky probably have less complaints on here than EE .
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The only way to be sure is for somebody to sign up for all three, so there are three telephone lines going into the same house.
    You then need three computers to start testing at the same time, to eliminate the rush hour factor.

As no one is insane enough to do this, we shall never know.

Are you that one? Whose thirst for trivial knowledge knows no bounds?
  • bery_451
    Options
    I remember i was on sky broadband first then i switched to talktalk broadband. The reliability has decreased since switching to talktalk. With talktalk i was getting reliability issue such as drop outs.

When you say they all use the same line then why am i gettin unreliability issues with talktalk compared to sky?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    Options
    bery_451 wrote: »
    I remember i was on sky broadband first then i switched to talktalk broadband. The reliability has decreased since switching to talktalk. With talktalk i was getting reliability issue such as drop outs.

When you say they all use the same line then why am i gettin unreliability issues with talktalk compared to sky?
    In your case the dropouts are most likely nothing to do with your phone line and to do with TalkTalk's equipment.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Is this unreliability over WiFi by any chance .
    I also found TT equipment to be unreliable in my exchange .
  • bery_451
    Options
    Ok so its the talktalk equipment in my exchange that's dodgy not my phone line?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They all use the same local loop. Plusnet, as a BT company, runs on the BT network, as does EE. Sky runs on it's own LLU network.
    So the reliability of the first two should not vary.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport