276 replies 49.2K views

Replies

• upallnightupallnight Forumite
    100 Posts
    Thanks for the information.
  • esthomizzyesthomizzy Forumite
    492 Posts
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure this is the right place but I have a lodger and they keep using my phone I also have a boyfriend who uses the damn phone. I never use it and only have it for the broadband. The bills is in my name and goes out of my bank account. I've asked that the phone isn't used for outgoing calls (everyone has mobiles these days) but it's like talking to a brick wall. My question is (now I've gone round the houses) if I got BT call barring will that still allow access to prefix phone suppliers or not? I'd like to say here sign up with this prefix supplier and then dial away to your hearts content and pay the bill yourself. I've suggested that they use a prefix supplier already but it might take the phone being unavailable for the problem to actually be resolved.

Any ideas?
    MFi3 member 105 - MFW date Oct 2023 - 12 years 9 months more
  • When they heard I was switching I got a letter implying a final charge of £50.00 would be made. I queried it with them and was told it was just a standard letter and wouldn't apply in my case. But it was initially alarming and puts pressure on you to stay with them.
  • robbo87robbo87 Forumite
    40 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I'm trying to find an override provider that offers an 0800 number.

Some info:

I haven't got a landline now and would like to avoid committing to one.

I've got full access to a reasonable (noncable) bband. Also have a Voip package that gives the normal free IP calls, but charges for every other call EXCEPT 0800.

I used to happily predial 18185 with my old landline but the cps/prefix idea doesn't work with voip, and 18185.com only seem to offer 0808 as an alternative.

So, anyone in the know?

Thanks!
  • SCROOGESCROOGE Forumite
    48 Posts
    Can any1 help pse? What is the cheapest way of calling mobiles from a Talk Talk landline? Discount Dial e.g. charges 6p per min. but does Talk Talk also charge on top of this? I can't find any reference to a 0871... no. on their tariff. (Have also opted for 25% off mobile calls for an extra .45p per month, plus designated some mobile nos as members of my Calling Circle.)

Many thanks.

SCROOGE
  • ilaila Forumite
    117 Posts
    Is it still possible to get Primus Saver 2 without moving your line rental to them (their site seems to suggest it isn't)?
    Thanks
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ila wrote: »
    Is it still possible to get Primus Saver 2 without moving your line rental to them
    AFAIK, yes. Just be specific when you call them - that you want Carrier PreSelect because you will be leaving your line rental with BT.

BTW, I'd suggest you go for Penny Mobile 2 too - that allows calls of up to 20 minutes to any UK mobile for a flat rate 20p - and still for no monthly fee!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • SCROOGE wrote: »
    Can any1 help pse? What is the cheapest way of calling mobiles from a Talk Talk landline? Discount Dial e.g. charges 6p per min. but does Talk Talk also charge on top of this? I can't find any reference to a 0871... no. on their tariff. (Have also opted for 25% off mobile calls for an extra .45p per month, plus designated some mobile nos as members of my Calling Circle.)

Many thanks.

SCROOGE

Talk Talk will charge you the same as BT to call it 6p a min plus 6p connection.

At offpeak its cheaper to use TT 7p - 25%= 5.25p a minute.

At weekends via their 020 or 0808 access numbers 1899 charge 3p a minute with 5p connection.

http://www.1899.com/mobilerates.php
  • amradamrad Forumite
    127 Posts
    BT are offering free UK evening and weekend calls as long as you sign a 12 month contract - is this the equivalent of Primus saver?
  • HenwenHenwen Forumite
    66 Posts
    esthomizzy wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is the right place but I have a lodger and they keep using my phone I also have a boyfriend who uses the damn phone. I never use it and only have it for the broadband. The bills is in my name and goes out of my bank account. I've asked that the phone isn't used for outgoing calls (everyone has mobiles these days) but it's like talking to a brick wall. My question is (now I've gone round the houses) if I got BT call barring will that still allow access to prefix phone suppliers or not? I'd like to say here sign up with this prefix supplier and then dial away to your hearts content and pay the bill yourself. I've suggested that they use a prefix supplier already but it might take the phone being unavailable for the problem to actually be resolved.

Any ideas?

Remove the phone from the socket and hide it......

Feeling the pinch but trying to bring down that mortgage - thank heavens for MSE.com!
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides