Cheapest Home Phones Discussion

in Phones & TV
276 replies 49.2K views

Replies

• Bobrobin_2Bobrobin_2 Forumite
    40 Posts
    TRACYA wrote: »
    Can anyone give me advise on the best option for calls to landlines please-

Deal I had a year ago is running out - Virgin media tv, line rental, broadband for reduced rate of £20month and this price will continue after the 12months but they also gave me 24hr calls to UK landlines free for 1yr. In future it will cost me £7.99mth to add this on (this is what i am looking to replace cheaper) or can get eve and w/e calls for £3.99mth

Any ideas most welcome. My time is running out as Call Deal runs out shortly

Virgin media are full of those kind of tricks.
    Turns out that just because I had a conversation with one of their rep's, my monthly charge has doubled, they say I agreed the new increase! AS IF, when the reason I called was to say it's getting TOO Expensive I may be leaving them.

Good Luck finding your call plan TRACYA.
  • HenwenHenwen Forumite
    66 Posts
    For those who call abroad often, Martin's free international call checker is ace - see the phones page on the main site. it's updated daily.

Henwen

Feeling the pinch but trying to bring down that mortgage - thank heavens for MSE.com!
    :hello:
  • pendopendo Forumite
    19 Posts
    I am having such problems with BT. Tried to get connected last Nov a month before we moved told me phone was disconnected so usual line set up charge blah blah, when we moved in no phone BT said you don't exist there is no house there, how have I then got a disconnected phone line. 20 hours on phone to them we are connected a month later. Phone breaks down BT say lines ok it must be your equipment rush to buy new phone still no joy bt say if we come out and your at fault you pay, eventually sorted BT find it was 'tree rub' now nearly 5month later they disconnect phone and say I haven't paid the bill they have been taking the direct debit from my account monthly 1 hour on the phone after being told I have to pay again or else I am told I will put a lost payment note on your account and reinstate you, thanks have they done it NO even though I have sent them hard copies of the statements. Help please I am at my wits end they have never sent me a bill, it has probably gone to the old house where they told me they had connected me but what about my payments. What is the cheapest way I can get a phone without using a bt land line and will anyone take me on after all this.
  • Mum_of_5_2Mum_of_5_2 Forumite
    43 Posts
    sorry i'm totally confused, i've now spent an hour or more reading the tiscali site, martin's info and these boards, the main talk is of 'talk talk' which we can't get anyway.

Currently i'm paying about £30 a month to BT then another £10ish to 18185 which i use for all calls. This includes broadband.

If i switch to option 2 tiscali i can have all these included, including all calls anytime (i'm sure there would be odd ones that wouldn't apply) for £24.99 so i'd save £15 a month.

Can't find anymore than 2 posts discussing Tiscali though, what's the advice?? Pros for me are the wireless router as my daughter now has a laptop and we have two home computers. The sky channels, and more accessible freeview channels as our set top box doesn't pick up a lot of them because of our aerial. Also would like the TV variety pack and possibly usage of the DVD selection thing. So looks like a good package to me.

any suggestions

thanks
  • dexterlevidexterlevi Forumite
    62 Posts
    I signed up with Orange in December and saw by bills drop massivly against previous BT bills. I pay £24 per month which gives me up to 8mb broadband, although Orange said from the onset best I could expect would be up to 6 mb.I aslo get fee evening and weekend calls on my main line to 01 and 02 numbers.Included with the bundle is a second line provided through my live box.I get 24/7 calls to 01/02 for free, free inrenational calls to 30 countries, which I use regularly and I get free calls to Orange mobiles.

Although I never get the 6 mb of broadband, I regular carry out bandwith test and return about 3 mb which is better than I have had previously.

I ecently lost my second line which is waiting repair. Orange however have offered me all the benifits of my second line on my main line until second line is fixed. Can,t ask for more than that.

I have been with talktalk, BT and now Orange.Customer service varies but at the end of the day I have found Orange to provide best all round service.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dexterlevi wrote: »
    Customer service varies but at the end of the day I have found Orange to provide best all round service.
    Despite their billing 'problems'!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • neil9313neil9313 Forumite
    696 Posts
    Just a thought Im with Post office home fone for line rental and calls, £9.50 per month DD with free evening and weekend calls. I have also found a 0800 number to speak to the very nice irish call centre staff. minus is you cant look online with yr bills as you can with BT.

Im with orange broad band never had a problem with them I pay £12.99 per month but Im always getting six months free so £6.50 plus £9.50 = £16 per month

I dont like to have all my services together
  • TRACYA_4TRACYA_4 Forumite
    18 Posts
    neil9313 wrote: »
    Just a thought Im with Post office home fone for line rental and calls, £9.50 per month DD with free evening and weekend calls. I have also found a 0800 number to speak to the very nice irish call centre staff. minus is you cant look online with yr bills as you can with BT.

Im with orange broad band never had a problem with them I pay £12.99 per month but Im always getting six months free so £6.50 plus £9.50 = £16 per month

I dont like to have all my services together

is the phone line rental and call offer only available for BT customersicon5.gif
  • upallnightupallnight Forumite
    100 Posts
    Does anyone know why the weekend bt entries for 0870 and 0845 are missing from the uk call checker? They (bt) were the cheapest for the w/e the last time I looked.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    upallnight wrote: »
    Does anyone know why the weekend bt entries for 0870 and 0845 are missing from the uk call checker?
    Yes, the problem is that, since 1-8-2007 and unlike a number of other calls providers, BT no longer has separate weekend rates for 0845 or 0870 calls - it charges the same day/night rates 7 days a week.

Hence, BT rates are simply not available for 'weekends' - so do not show on the MSE UK Callchecker.

A comparison I did a while ago - see HERE - showed that BT is currently cheapest for 0845 calls only during the day on weekdays and for 0870 calls only on weekday evenings.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides