Is the licence fee worth it? Poll discussion

Options

Comments

• greytroot
    greytroot Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    You know what i hate is the fact we have no choice but to pay.

Today just saw some american dancing show, why oh why is that on bbc tv. I hardly know any of the so called celebs and really dont care for this programme at all.

Is the bbc not meant to funded the way it is to keep it truley british, what is that anyways, but american dancing tv shows come on!

Why is the bbc not answerable directly to the people it taxes?
    You cant take the trousers off an elephant!
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    greytroot wrote: »
    You know what i hate is the fact we have no choice but to pay.

Today just saw some american dancing show, why oh why is that on bbc tv. I hardly know any of the so called celebs and really dont care for this programme at all.

Is the bbc not meant to funded the way it is to keep it truley british, what is that anyways, but american dancing tv shows come on!

Why is the bbc not answerable directly to the people it taxes?

Why not complain to them directly and see what response you get?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • Defiant_3
    Defiant_3 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    ckerrd wrote: »
    Oh dear me, still not getting any better at your facts.

Ok lets look at some facts as all you seem to like doing is saying everything that criticises the BBC/TVL is wrong.
    Government research which shows 14 million households would not subscribe to the BBC if they had the choice.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/14361

BBC fined £50,00 over the fake Blue Peter phone in

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article2748307.ece

While spending £68,000 entertaining MPs and guests

http://www.lep.co.uk/showbiz?articleid=3031464

They've spent £250,000 of TV TAX money trying to stop a report which shows their baised

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/15/nbeeb15.xml

They waste money like theirs no tomorrow because they know anyone with a TV is supposed to give them money

THE BBC is spending £55,000 a DAY on taxis and car hire, The Sun can reveal.

The annual bill is now £20MILLION — as free-spending staff take licence-payers for a ride.
    The mind-boggling sum, which includes the cost of ferrying employees to and from their jobs, works out at nearly £1,000 for EVERY Beeb worker.
    Meanwhile grasping staff slapped in £24million in expenses claims over the past year — equivalent to £1,100 each.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006380162,00.html
    Over 800 people responded to the survey, with 593 (around 68%) backing the licence fee, and 275 (around 32%) favouring an alternative such as advertising.

Lets take a look shall we,

The yes people 1991
    The no people 7071
    That from a poll held in Northavon. I could provide you with the link to it but frankly I cant be bothered. But you can check. It is what is called a fact.;)

You can't provide it because you know it either doesn't exist or its not neutral.

Why your at it though why don't you check out the mori and Yougov polls which also show the TV TAX brigade are nothing
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    Why not complain to them directly and see what response you get?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

Still at it I see even though you said you have no connection with the BBC. Just who the hell do you think you are trying to kid. Lets have a think about this, someone isn't happy at being forced to pay for the BBC and this nut tells him to email the BBC :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should have asked the nazi not to keep taking over countries oh wait we did didn't we
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    I am sure the articles you have highlighted are indeed there.

So is the poll I mentioned - do a search.

So once again you are wrong to imply that every poll agrees with you. Most may do but not all.

And why shouldn't people email the BBC to complain?
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    I am sure the articles you have highlighted are indeed there.

So is the poll I mentioned - do a search.

I posted proof with links you haven't which isn't surprising is it ;)

Ps how much do you get paid by them to do this ? you know just keep saying its not true and that you have proof of this and that but just can't be bothered to post a link lol
    So once again you are wrong to imply that every poll agrees with you. Most may do but not all.

Well show everyone I'm wrong then !
    And why shouldn't people email the BBC to complain?

Your either very naive or you do work for them like I suspect
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    The BBC isn't even answerable to out MPs its just a nazi organisation now

Reported for being offensive

You see they hate people calling them but the facts are The Nazi's had the SS to enforce them and the BBC have the Enforcement Officers both of which were/are enforced with an iron fist ;) anyway ckerrd the truth can hurt perhaps you should also report it to your BBC line manager
  • Tetsuko
    Tetsuko Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    The BBC licence fee is definitely worth it. Just try living in any other country and see how many commercials there are - usually every 10 minutes or more. It makes tv virtually unwatchable. We lived in Canada for 4 years and the TV was so bad we wanted to come home!! That was before the internet admittedly, but to have commercial free tv and radio channels with quality programmes, is completely unique to the UK - people here just don't realise how lucky they are.
    Unfortunately, people don't know what they've got 'til its gone! And once the licence fee goes, it will never come back. Instead, other channels will be free to charge per view or whatever they want. It will be a disaster. Whatever happens, we'll be paying. I'd prefer to pay for quality, whatever it costs.

The BBC with a million and one Eastender adverts and the rest of the tripe they show.....£130 a year...sh**e :mad:

TiVo for the win...still expensive and the BBC tax still inclusive :(

Advertising channels...A DVD recorder to filter out adverts £60 = one off payment..not too shabby :D

Downloading it all...advert free from the internet...priceless :rotfl:
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Voltaire :cool:
  • nothingisforfree
    Options
    Defiant wrote: »
    I was extracting the urine as I don't think anyone who wants their viewing habbits paid for by everyone else is a friend of anyone but themselves :rolleyes:

Ps if you don't like criminals then you shouldn't be supporting your beloved BBC

Thats last year or do you beeb people have a problem with basic math. 25 million households forced to pay an extra £5 this year and then add the sales revenue ;)

But if it's a public service and the public own it why should they be asked to pay for it again ?

I'm sure everyone else has noticed that even though the pro tv licence people get hammered on every single poll they always have the most to say because they feel threatened at the thought of paying for the BBC by themselves

I have not mentioned a word about the BBC pro or anti.
    So your childish comments are presumptious nonsense.

Noted you haven't answered the substantive point made.
    But that's not unusual as many others have pointed out the numerous errors and incorrect facts/ lies in your posts.

FACT this years revenue from has clearly not been all collected, so to include it in your figure of £4.5 billion is utter nonsense.

FACT BBC's expenditure for 2006-07 is forecast to be £3.3 billion
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/annualreport/pdfs/bbctrust_eng.pdf
    page 30.

FACT it is not £4.5 billion as you deceitfully continue to claim.
    Fact in 2005-06 £3.1 million was raised TV licence fees., this is the true cost to everyone who pays.

There's something very perverse in someone arguing for the abolition of something whose own actions costs every other honest payer nearly £7.

Here's another poll for offenders like you
    91% of people think that anyone who commits an offence should “not be allowed to get away with it”.
    When people were asked what they thought were the most ‘morally wrong’ actions, TV licence evasion came out third with 38%
    2. The Survey:
    · ICM Research interviewed a selection of 2000 adults aged 18+ by telephone between 5-9 May 2004, questioning them on their attitudes towards certain offences and whether they had committed any of them.
    · Interviews were conducted across the country and the results have been weighted to the profile of all adults.
  • GamePlayer
    GamePlayer Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    guppy wrote: »
    As I recall from uni, virtually all students spend considerably more than £11 a month on beer and going out etc. If they still can't afford it, they should consider getting rid of the TV. There are plenty of other things to do in life besides watching telly.

Pensioners and single parents on low incomes are all entitled to benefits of one sort or another. Again, if they still can't afford £11 a month, maybe they should stick to the radio or reading books. As has been said, the licence is still cheaper than a newspaper every day.

I don't like paying for a tv licence any more than I like paying council tax, income tax, national insurance or VAT. The argument about subsidising other people just doesn't work though. The rich subsidise the poor, the working poor subsidise the unemployed. The healthy subsidise the sick. Everyone subsidises those on the fiddle.

So, I'm not going to lose any sleep about people who only watch Sky subsidising me. Though I do pity them somewhat for having missed all the unique comedy, music programmes and quality documentaries the BBC shows.

Channel 4 is good, but that is publicly owned as well, and it shows in the quality factual programmes and news they put out.

If people avoid paying tax, they should be pursued aggressively. Unfortunately paying tax isn't optional.

You seem a very mean spirited person, because the cost of the license is trivial to you, it is not the case for other people.

Why do you think you have the right to tell people to read a book?.
    Another alternative to 'getting rid of the tele' is getting rid of BBC. that seems a pretty good option for those that can't afford or don't want to pay for the license.

My complaint is anyway not the cost but the choice.

Why can't I choose to not watch BBC and also not pay for it.?
    Why can't I choose to only watch commercial TV if that is what I want.?
    Why do I have to pay for the BBC even if I don't want it.?

Whether or not it is good value for money is irrelevant. I want a choice about whether I buy it or not.

So all you people saying what good value for money it is, instead please explain your reason why I should pay for something I don't want.

And if it's a tax, then the government should call it a tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure