Is the licence fee worth it? Poll discussion

Options

Comments

• Defiant_3
    Defiant_3 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    The only error here is you and your friend who have been trolling the thread because you feel threatened about the BBC TV Licence going. You can also see yet another poll which shows your lonely people.
    And my only annoyance is that self confessed criminals get away with their crimes.

I agree but the BBC hasn't got long left so don't worry about it

I suggest people report ckerrd otherwise he'll just keep on trolling threads when he doesn't agree with the subject!
  • jeansouthlondon
    Options
    The BBC licence fee is definitely worth it. Just try living in any other country and see how many commercials there are - usually every 10 minutes or more. It makes tv virtually unwatchable. We lived in Canada for 4 years and the TV was so bad we wanted to come home!! That was before the internet admittedly, but to have commercial free tv and radio channels with quality programmes, is completely unique to the UK - people here just don't realise how lucky they are.
    Unfortunately, people don't know what they've got 'til its gone! And once the licence fee goes, it will never come back. Instead, other channels will be free to charge per view or whatever they want. It will be a disaster. Whatever happens, we'll be paying. I'd prefer to pay for quality, whatever it costs.
  • cm233lh
    cm233lh Posts: 191 Forumite
    Options
    Whether or not the output is worth it at the price is irrelevant. The fact is that if we refuse to subscribe to these channels then we end up with a stiff fine and a criminal record. Just like the old USSR! We will never be free until this kind of rip-off is stopped. Yes, they do produce some top notch stuff, but so they should with the kind of money they've got to throw at it.
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    The BBC licence fee is definitely worth it.

translated she means its worth it for her if millions of people are forced to share the costs because it will keep her viewing habbits down in cost

Ask her if she'd be willing to subsidise the people who prefer cable & Sky though ;)
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    Defiant wrote: »
    The only error here is you and your friend who have been trolling the thread because you feel threatened about the BBC TV Licence going. You can also see yet another poll which shows your lonely people.

I agree but the BBC hasn't got long left so don't worry about it

I suggest people report ckerrd otherwise he'll just keep on trolling threads when he doesn't agree with the subject!

So yet again you cannot refute my facts.

If trolling is asking for clarification and corrections then guilty as charged.

I cannot understand why you think I am threatened by the possible loss of the BBC licence.

Perhaps you should have a disclaimer on the end of all your posts, along the lines of:-

Please note that any argument advanced here is supported by personal opinion and any facts quoted may well be wrong as I tend to make them up and can't be bothered checking any of them. I also refuse to admit that anything I say may be wrong.
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    Options
    if people where so happy with the stuff that the bbc churn out - why are more and more people getting sky and cable ?

becuase they are bored with the same stuff that the bbc puts on and there is very little variety in the programmes that they show.

i can never see justification for someones salary being millions of pounds every year like the head person of the bbc gets for working a 3 hour days that he probably does -
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GamePlayer wrote: »
    It's not insignificant if you are a student, pensioner or single parent.

I'm none of these by the way but I do have kids at University and the TV license nazi's seem to go after them particularly aggressively.

As I recall from uni, virtually all students spend considerably more than £11 a month on beer and going out etc. If they still can't afford it, they should consider getting rid of the TV. There are plenty of other things to do in life besides watching telly.

Pensioners and single parents on low incomes are all entitled to benefits of one sort or another. Again, if they still can't afford £11 a month, maybe they should stick to the radio or reading books. As has been said, the licence is still cheaper than a newspaper every day.

I don't like paying for a tv licence any more than I like paying council tax, income tax, national insurance or VAT. The argument about subsidising other people just doesn't work though. The rich subsidise the poor, the working poor subsidise the unemployed. The healthy subsidise the sick. Everyone subsidises those on the fiddle.

So, I'm not going to lose any sleep about people who only watch Sky subsidising me. Though I do pity them somewhat for having missed all the unique comedy, music programmes and quality documentaries the BBC shows.

Channel 4 is good, but that is publicly owned as well, and it shows in the quality factual programmes and news they put out.

If people avoid paying tax, they should be pursued aggressively. Unfortunately paying tax isn't optional.
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    ckerrd wrote: »
    So yet again you cannot refute my facts.

You haven't provided any all you've done it given some biased opinions like a good BBC troll
    ckerrd wrote: »
    I cannot understand why you think I am threatened by the possible loss of the BBC licence.

Because all you've done on this thread is try and take it off topic and a decent mod would notice that straight away ;)
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    guppy wrote: »
    I don't like paying for a tv licence .

That's a lie for a start because if that was the case you wouldn't have spent so much time on this thread trying to attack people who don't want it :rolleyes:

This is the problem you see you and the others have given that many lies you forget what you've already posted.

Here's an idea why not talk about this poll :)
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    KILL_BILL wrote: »
    if people where so happy with the stuff that the bbc churn out - why are more and more people getting sky and cable ?

becuase they are bored with the same stuff that the bbc puts on and there is very little variety in the programmes that they show.

i can never see justification for someones salary being millions of pounds every year like the head person of the bbc gets for working a 3 hour days that he probably does -

In 2005/6 the Director General of the BBC earned £609,000.

So more speculation and lack of facts from those that can't be bothered checking anything

Defiant - unlike you I have provided facts, something you don't seem to recognise in any way.

I am happy for this all to stay on topic but your paranoid rantings which are unsubstantiated only devalue any argument you have.

Stick to the facts and then people will have a grown up debate with you I am sure.

Even I would be happy to debate this topic with you, but you seem incapable or unwilling to recognise your failings.

We all evolve - get on with it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport