Is the licence fee worth it? Poll discussion

Options

Comments

• guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Defiant wrote: »
    If you own a house too you can remove their implied right to access so by law if they step foot on your property you can have them arrested

The first bit is true, you can remove anyone's implied right of access to your land or garden path simply by posting a sign saying "keep out - no exceptions". I'm not sure how you would "have them arrested" though - trespass isn't a criminal offence. Theoretically you could "eject" them yourself, but if you could be in trouble if you use force.

If they really wanted, though I doubt the power is ever used in practice, they'd just get a warrant from the magistrate and let themselves in, whether you're there or not.

I still find it hard to believe you sad dodgers get so worked up about this though. In the grand scheme of British taxation, the telly licence seems rather insignificant.
  • guppy
    Options
    Tell me gup why are you people so against paying for it by yourselfs ?

Because personally I think its a better cause than most of the other things I pay taxes for. I'm sorry you don't. You're definitely missing out on at least a couple of good progs by the way.

Anyway, if I did get my money back for the other things I pay taxes on but don't personally benefit from, I'd have plenty of change for a £700 licence fee :)
  • Defiant_3
    Defiant_3 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    guppy wrote: »
    Because personally I think its a better cause than most of the other things I pay taxes for. I'm sorry you don't. You're definitely missing out on at least a couple of good progs by the way

YOU think ? Hmm and what are these couple of good programmes you think the taxpayer should pay for and why are they worth £4.5 billion ?

Anyway, if I did get my money back for the other things I pay taxes on but don't personally benefit from, I'd have plenty of change for a £700 licence fee :)

The other things you talk about are essential public services I don't think a TV broadcaster is or will they help if you have an heart attack ?
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    The first bit is true, you can remove anyone's implied right of access to your land or garden path simply by posting a sign saying "keep out - no exceptions". I'm not sure how you would "have them arrested" though - trespass isn't a criminal offence. Theoretically you could "eject" them yourself, but if you could be in trouble if you use force.

Nice divertion tactic but if their breaking the law you can have them arrested. The facts are the law is law and if you remove their right of access they shouldn't try to break the law.
    I still find it hard to believe you sad dodgers get so worked up about this though. In the grand scheme of British taxation, the telly licence seems rather insignificant.

I find it hard to believe that you really think its fair that millions of people should be forced to pay your wages oops sorry you don't work for them do you

Ps if your not upset yet check the poll results and you'll see just how hated the BBC TV Licence is
  • guppy
    Options
    I didn't say the good progs were worth all that money. Just that you shouldn't cut off your nose to spite your face by missing out on something you might (shock horror) actually like. Especially since the BBC copies the commercial channels so much now anyway.

This is getting off topic, but are nuclear weapons an essential public service? Is the EU? Is social security? They don't have much of that in America. ANd of course some people have private healthcare of course.

I'm not saying I disagree with all/any of the above, but your argument seems to be that we should only pay tax for what we personally approve of or benefit from. Depends on your politics and what kind of a society you want...
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    I didn't say the good progs were worth all that money. Just that you shouldn't cut off your nose to spite your face by missing out on something you might (shock horror) actually like. Especially since the BBC copies the commercial channels so much now anyway.

Oh another one who thinks we should all be forced fed BBC because they think we'll all bend over and agree with the TV Licence then. Grow up guppy this is the 21st century and times have moved on which is why the TV Licence should be abolished and you lot should be paying for it via subsciption
    This is getting off topic, but are nuclear weapons an essential public service?

More so today with Islamic nutters having their hands on the button yes & yes its getting off topic but thats what the BBC do on these topics

Is the EU? Is social security? They don't have much of that in America. ANd of course some people have private healthcare of course.
    They do have that though what they don't have is a ruddy TV Licence though :rolleyes:
    I'm not saying I disagree with all/any of the above, but your argument seems to be that we should only pay tax for what we personally approve of or benefit from. Depends on your politics and what kind of a society you want...

And your argument seems to be I like Eastenders so you lot are going to be forced to fund it

Ps do you think those who want the TV Licence should help to subsidise those who have Sky/cable ?
  • guppy
    Options
    Rats, found out again. Of course I work at the BBC. We have a whole department dedicated to posting in online forums like this. That's when we're not snorting drugs.

We also use our transmitters to keep the populace subdued in to paying our heinous licence fee. Clearly your tin foil hat has made you immune, a lone freedom fighter bravely continuing to struggle against paying the licence fee.

Maybe I could a scriptwriting job with my overactive imagination?

Regarding the law, believe what you want yourself, but please don't go around encouraging other poor dupes they're entitled to "arrest" the tv licence man. Why would the law let you detain someone you want off your land? Don't answer...its a rhetorical question.

You might also want to familiarise yourself with the difference between civil and criminal law. No one wants to see you in court when you try and arrest a manager in Currys for breaking the Sale of Goods Act for example.

Oh, and the poll? Is it going to change anything? No. There are far more unpopular taxes than the BBC tax, and none of them show any signs of going away.

Happy trolling, or if you are genuine, watch that blood pressure when you get worked up about the telly tax...or you really will need the NHS.

G'night.
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    Rats, found out again. Of course I work at the BBC. We have a whole department dedicated to posting in online forums like this. That's when we're not snorting drugs.

I believe they do employ people to misform the public in order to protect the TV Licence yes. I've seen things posted on this thread that are identical to other anti TV Licence threads on the internet in fact almost word for word like its a script they follow
    We also use our transmitters to keep the populace subdued in to paying our heinous licence fee.

No thats just left to selfish people who expect what they like on TV to be paid for by an unwilling majority
    Maybe I could a scriptwriting job with my overactive imagination?

Perhaps thats another department but I'm sure others have noticed how you keep trying to drag this off topic perhaps the mods will intervene
    but please don't go around encouraging other poor dupes they're entitled to "arrest" the tv licence man.

The public are entitled to make a citizens arrest if someone breaks the law and the TV Licence man as you put it is just a joe bloggs off the street who happens to work for Capita.

Again I find it interesting that you are trying to defend the BBC's SS enforcement division
    Why would the law let you detain someone you want off your land? Don't answer...its a rhetorical question.

Because if you have taken their right of access away they'd be breaking the law or does that go over your head when it concerns the mighty BBC :rolleyes:
    Oh, and the poll? Is it going to change anything? No. There are far more unpopular taxes than the BBC tax, and none of them show any signs of going away.

One MP has already said if your employer keeps carrying on the way they are the BBC TV Licence wont last the few years it was promised by the Labour Party
    Happy trolling, or if you are genuine, watch that blood pressure when you get worked up about the telly tax...or you really will need the NHS.

G'night.

trolling hmm again how many times have you tried taking this off topic ?
  • GamePlayer
    GamePlayer Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options

It's not insignificant if you are a student, pensioner or single parent.

I'm none of these by the way but I do have kids at University and the TV license nazi's seem to go after them particularly aggressively.
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    No I usually just give them two words and shut the door when they visit and they can't do a thing about it because you aren't obliged by the law to speak to them or to let them into your house. The empathise is on them to prove you are watching live TV transmissions and this is something they can't really do unless your daft enough to let in the house and speak to them. Unfortunately alot of people don't realise this and think they have powers to do whatever they like which is false this is why it’s mostly single parents, low income families & pensioners (under 75) putting food first that get caught L

If you own a house too you can remove their implied right to access so by law if they step foot on your property you can have them arrested

Does this mean you have had a TV for all this time without a licence?
    You answer still doesn't make this clear
    We all evolve - get on with it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family