Is the licence fee worth it? Poll discussion

Options

Comments

• Gallovidian
    Options
    Here's another poll for offenders like you
    91% of people think that anyone who commits an offence should “not be allowed to get away with it”.
    When people were asked what they thought were the most ‘morally wrong’ actions, TV licence evasion came out third with 38%

So it wasn't morally wrong for the BBC to give an award to someone
    they knew was awaiting trial for being a child sex pervert?
  • impy78
    impy78 Posts: 3,157 Forumite
    Options
    So it wasn't morally wrong for the BBC to give an award to someone
    they knew was awaiting trial for being a child sex pervert?

He is accused of the above...you can't say he is on trial for being one until he is found guilty.

Which he won't be, regardless of whether he is or not. He is famous and wealthy and these apparently ensure one's innocence these days.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Defiant_3
    Defiant_3 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Notice the troll that said their was a poll that said the TV Licence was favoured by the majority never gave a source even when pushed. Typical BBC tactics
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    Defiant wrote: »
    Notice the troll that said their was a poll that said the TV Licence was favoured by the majority never gave a source even when pushed. Typical BBC tactics

Here you go

Easily searched

So wrong again.
    No surprise there

And to compare the BBC to the Nazis is offensive to me. As an individual and not an employee of the BBC.

http://www.stevewebb.org.uk/

25th August 2004
    Local People "Back BBC Licence Fee"
    A significant majority of local people want to keep the licence fee as the way of funding the BBC, according to a survey of local residents by Northavon MP, Steve Webb. But even among those backing the licence fee there was considerable criticism of the BBC for the quality of its programmes and the amount of time spent advertising other BBC programmes.
    The MP launched his consultation earlier in the year in order to contribute to the review of the BBC's charter which is currently being undertaken by the Government. Over 800 people responded to the survey, with 593 (around 68%) backing the licence fee, and 275 (around 32%) favouring an alternative such as advertising.

Residents who backed the licence fee generally felt that it was good value for money and that other methods of paying for the BBC might compromise its political independence. People were keen that the BBC had the freedom to produce "quality programmes" which might not necessarily attract a mass audience, although many felt that the BBC was doing too much "chasing ratings" and not producing top quality programming.

Opposition to the licence fee was strongest amongst those who have access to a wide range of TV channels, including via satellite, and who objected to being obliged to pay for a service that they hardly used.

Commenting on the survey, Steve Webb MP said:

"As ever, this process of consultation has given me some real insights into what local people are thinking. There is a lot of good will towards the BBC, especially among those who are familiar with broadcasting overseas. But there is also a lot of anger, both among those who cannot access the new digital services and those who think the BBC should be more distinctive. I will certainly make sure that both the Government and the BBC are made aware of how local people feel about these issues".
    The results of the survey will be sent to the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, to influence the Government's thinking and also to the Chairman of the BBC to ensure that he knows the concerns of local people.
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • squirreltufty
    squirreltufty Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Options
    Defiant wrote: »
    Sorry ... who's the troll? :think:
    :rotfl:
    still a SF nerd no.1:o
    Quit date: 03/09/2006 ----> £1,000s not spent on tobacco(21/03/2010).:D
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    ckerrd wrote: »
    Here you go

Easily searched

So wrong again.
    No surprise there

http://www.stevewebb.org.uk/

Very nice but that link doesn't show that supposed story (oops surprise surprise) & yes shock horror everyone is going to be surprised that you are a ruddy Liberal Democrat

Ps, Is Dan29 your boss ?
    And to compare the BBC to the Nazis is offensive to me. As an individual and not an employee of the BBC.

And the BBC is offensive to me and millions of others however if we threatened them like they threaten us we'd be arrested :mad:
    Sorry ... who's the troll? :think:
    :rotfl:

Some forums ban people who persist in posting uncontructive & childish rubbish like this. It's not the school playground here squirreltufty
  • ckerrd
    Options
    Defiant - you assume much and know little.

Not sure why the link didn't work but if you do a search you will find the story. Silly me "If you do a search" - I forgot you don't deal in reality just paranoia in your fantasy world of made up "facts".

Off now, had enough playing, going to talk to some grown ups.
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    FACT this years revenue from has clearly not been all collected, so to include it in your figure of £4.5 billion is utter nonsense.

No it isn't which is why the your next statement gets blown away
    FACT BBC's expenditure for 2006-07 is forecast to be £3.3 billion
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/annualreport/pdfs/bbctrust_eng.pdf
    page 30.

We're talking about income not expenditure and to prove my point 2007 isn't even finished you teletubbie
    There's something very perverse in someone arguing for the abolition of something whose own actions costs every other honest payer nearly £7.

There's perverse in someone wanting everyone in this country being forced to subsidise their own selfish needs for the BBC. Why can't you get a job and pay your own way in life and perhaps then pay for the BBC via subscription while everyone else laughs at you ;)

There's also something very perverse in sending people to prison because they refuse to pay the BBC or put food above them :rolleyes:
    Here's another poll for offenders like you
    91% of people think that anyone who commits an offence should “not be allowed to get away with it”.

I agree which is why I'm against the BBC
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    Defiant - you assume much and know little.

And yet I keep on blowing away a BBC employee who seems almost glued to this thread and when forced provides links to no where. Just like the BBC your on the left though so no surprise
    Off now, had enough playing, going to talk to some grown ups.

Yes it would help if you did but before you do why not provide us with this link & perhaps later you can get back on topic if you insist on trolling this thread ;)
  • ckerrd
    Options
    Who is the BBC employee on this board then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport