Is the licence fee worth it? Poll discussion

Options

Comments

• Defiant_3
    Defiant_3 Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    You just can't resist the trolling can you :rolleyes: I know you are only doing this to get the thread closed that's what the BBC employees always go for when these BBC TV Licence threads popup. You've done yourself no favours in the eyes of the majority on this forum thats for sure
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    Options
    Do you work for the BBC then?
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    TROLL :rolleyes:
  • ckerrd
    Options
    GamePlayer wrote: »
    My complaint is anyway not the cost but the choice.

Why can't I choose to not watch BBC and also not pay for it.?
    Why can't I choose to only watch commercial TV if that is what I want.?
    Why do I have to pay for the BBC even if I don't want it.?

Whether or not it is good value for money is irrelevant. I want a choice about whether I buy it or not.

So all you people saying what good value for money it is, instead please explain your reason why I should pay for something I don't want.

And if it's a tax, then the government should call it a tax.

Very true. I think it should be called a tax although like most other taxes it might be difficult to opt out of.
  • ckerrd
    Options
    Defiant wrote: »
    TROLL :rolleyes:

How so?

Because I expose some of your statements as false?
    Because you cannot admit you make mistakes?
    Because I reported an offensive post?
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    ckerrd wrote: »
    Very true. I think it should be called a tax although like most other taxes it might be difficult to opt out of.

We live in a digital age now so we do have the technology to opt out its just a small minority of people who want everyone else to subisidise their entertainment.

This is the same minority who keep kicking and screaming on forums whenever the subject comes up and then gives false information and links to no where lol

Ps the BBC TV Licence was reclassed as a tax by the audit office :rolleyes:
    ckerrd wrote: »
    How so?

Because I expose some of your statements as false?
    Because you cannot admit you make mistakes?
    Because I reported an offensive post?

The only thing you've exposed is yourself as a troll because you keep refusing to backup your statements or is the link that goes to your liberal site supposed to mean something ?

Oh and the reported post only upset you because its the truth lol
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    well, have just done a quick tally up and on friday from 11am to 12am there was 4hours of repeats and saturday (same time) there was 8hours of repeats - this is including films which were made 8 years ago or older - 2 of which were back in the late 40's shown back to back. there is probably more of repeats in this period but as I said it was a quick tally up.

surely UK gold is for the repeats of shows gone by??

you would think that as we (or rather some of us ;) ) are paying for the TV licence that the BBC would show programmes that are new. you would also think that they would show premiers of films rather than films that have been shown over and over both on the bbc and other channels. Channel 4 are able to show premier movies so why cant bbc???
  • aawraith
    Options
    Poll Started 31 July 2007: Is the licence fee worth it?

The TV licence fee costs £135.50 a year, for any home with a colour TV, and pays for the BBC - that's TV, radio, regional programmes and BBC online. Is it worth it? Which of these is nearest to your view?

Yes. The BBC consistently produces quality output
    Yes. Mainly due to BBC radio though
    Yes. Public service broadcasting as a concept is important
    Yes. It's a good buffer against government and tabloid power
    Yes. If nothing else just so I don’t have to watch ads
    Yes. All of the above
    Yes. Other reason
    No. It's too costly, halve the price and its budget
    No. The BBC does nothing for me, I'd stop using it to save £131.50
    No. I pay for Sky already, it's ridiculous
    No. Only BBC online is good, and I'd happily see it have ads
    No. It's another tax, why should the BBC be so special
    No. All of the above
    No. Other reason

Click here to vote, or click reply to discuss :)

threadbanner.gif
    Sorry to see Moneyexpert join in the campaign by SKY to denegrate the BBC.
    Can you restore the balance a little by examining the output from SKY and the costs
    I pay £11.25 to the BBC for channels 1, 2, 3 4 Radio 1, 2, 3 ,4 and local radio.
    I pay £15 per month to SKY for two blocks of channels in addition I have to watch multiple adverts within every program. In realality a watch about 5 of the choices. None has original material, but I like watching the repeats of BBC commedy programs, history and science programs. Maybe Moneyexpert you could identify the true cost of SKY and ITV. Business adverts have to be paid for in the cost of the product but of course it is hidden so no one complains.
  • Defiant_3
    Options
    aawraith wrote: »
    Can you restore the balance a little by examining the output from SKY and the costs

Do Sky force you to subcribe to them and send threatening letters to your house even if you haven't subscribed ?
    I pay £11.25 to the BBC for channels 1, 2, 3 4 Radio 1, 2, 3 ,4 and local radio.

I pay 0.35p a day for a phoneline which free weekend/evening calls & get FREE cable TV (virgin Media) which mops the floor with what the pro BBC poeple want.

I pay £15 per month to SKY

Which was your CHOICE ;)

Tell me if you think the BBC is so good why would you even need Sky and would you be against the BBC going to subscription so only people like you who like it pay for it ?
    Maybe Moneyexpert you could identify the true cost of SKY and ITV. Business adverts have to be paid for in the cost of the product but of course it is hidden so no one complains.

Maybe it would be of interest to them if people were forced to signup to them but its down to choice something even you a pro BBC person did which tells me the BBC failed you lol
  • choi2000
    Options
    I hate the BBC and the TV Licences as a concept! They should call it what it is “Compulsory BBC subscription that you probably don’t even want!” not TV Licence!! I never watch the BBC, in fact I couldn’t even tell you the last show I watched on it!

I say get rid of the licence fee and either put adverts on it or make it an OPTIONAL subscription service. It’s not my fault you can pick the junk up with a standard aerial!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure