Does anyone ever feel like they don't fit in to this world?

Options
That title probably sounds a bit dramatic but I don't know how better to explain it.

Just a feeling that you are very much alone (despite being married with children) and that you really don't fit anywhere? That you don't really 'get' people. I sometimes dream of just taking my little family and living in a hut in the woods and never seeing the outside world again. Unfortunately I don't think that is the life they dream so I will keep plodding on, but I am just interested to know if this is something other people feel and how they deal with it?
Current Debt - [strike]£38000[/strike] [strike]£32000[/strike] [strike]£28500[/strike] [strike]£22000[/strike] [strike]£16000[/strike] [strike]£10000[/strike] [STRIKE]£1500[/STRIKE] £14000:eek:

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All the time.
    Would love to go away and live on a desert island.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Dozey_crow
    Options
    Yep.. I understand this too. It comes and goes but it worse at Birthdays and New Year (which I loathe).
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Options
    Yep - I get it too out-of-place-smiley.gif?1292867648

Not sure what the answer is. I just try to live with it and not worry about it too much but that is very hard to do sometimes.
  • marisco_2
    marisco_2 Posts: 4,261 Forumite
    Options
    The best way to feel happy and fulfilled is to quit worrying about fitting in and 'getting' others. Embrace being unique and different and enjoy all the things that are important to you. Adopt a take me as I am or leave me approach and the right people will come into and stay in your life.
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
  • Rebel_Cause
    Options
    I usually feel like that after reading the comment section of The Daily Mail.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yep - I get it too out-of-place-smiley.gif?1292867648

Not sure what the answer is. I just try to live with it and not worry about it too much but that is very hard to do sometimes.

And it's worse at this time of year when you kid yourself next year will be different. But alas.......
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • WeAreGhosts
    Options
    Yep, and in the past 12 months I have decided to stop worrying about it & just do my own thing.
    a trip to the sales last week just confirmed for me that i am justified in doing that!
  • MissHope
    Options
    Yes. Ever since I can remember. I try not to focus on it and just get on with life but it is hard.

I often fantasise about moving to an island/ isolated dwelling!
  • KentishLady
    Options
    OP - you have described how I feel so accurately your post could have been written by me. I feel like this too.

I've always felt like I'm different from everyone else, even as a kid. It fluctuates but most days something will happen which triggers this feeling.

Social situations can be a struggle unless I'm with people who I know really well and trust (and those are few and far between other than family).

Over the last 10 years I have come to the conclusion that I am simply wired differently to most people.

I often daydream about a house or hut in the middle of nowhere / the woods too. However reality is that whilst I would be happy with a simple life living off the land, my OH wouldnt and therefore I need to keep working to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table etc. Instead I try to get my solitude a couple of times a year in a break away and daily when I walk the dog.

The dog keeps me sane.
  • PlymouthMaid
    Options
    Yes. Despite having a loving family and a job I do feel increasingly detached from the world and its ways. Not sure if it matters.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills