🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Living richly; simply and debt-freely

Options

Comments

• liltdiddylilt
    liltdiddylilt Posts: 4,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well when I first got the heartburn, (for the first time in my life) I had no idea what it was! I used to take 3 bags of salt and vinegar crisps and a yoghurt to work and eat one crisp every 5 minutes and the occasional spoon of yoghurt. If I didn't eat for 5 minutes I was in agony. So that wasn't so virtuous :rotfl:

I'll remember the hula hoops and cream buns next time!!! :D xx
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,723 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I used to drink gavistan by the gallon.
    Never used the spoon :eek: :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had heartburn when I was pregnant with DS. Never had it before :eek: I found salt and vinegar crisps helped me too! :o
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,490 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Um, thanks for sharing your reflux stories... I think, but if y'all start on BFeeding sagas :eek:, I'm picking up my skipping rope and running home...... :rotfl:
    starnac wrote: »
    DH says it has made me morbid though as I have started sorting out my affairs "just in case" I've told him that once they are sorted and everything is done then I can relax and enjoy life and not have to worry about what will happen when my time is up.

Nope, I totally agree with you starnac. We are further along the road in life than your hubby and your good self, and we are starting to sort this all out now. I concur, that when it is sorted, it will enable me to enjoy whatever time I have, secure in the knowledge that I did my best to tie up the *life admin* in a way that benefits those that I want it to. Doesn't stop me from planning to try to shuffle off this mortal coil with no debts, but not a plethora of assets to divvy up, either. I'm expecting I'll be sat on the *uncollected* shelf in the crem as it is, a juicy inheritance is unlikely to persuade my lot to dump me on the sand at the seaside :cool:

So, we had soup for dinner - the bean and veg one out of the student veggie cookbook. Very yummy :D

I'm going to have to really tighten our belts for June. We've some shore leave planned, and I fully intend to keep a cast iron grip on the grocery budget. I'm going to repeat the 'soup&' Tuesday, Buddha Bowl Thursday and I'm thinking of re-introducing Saturday is Strictly Curry, Murray as a) it introduced me to some new curries last time, b) curry can be quite a frugal choice and c) it can be made ahead. Maybe I should introduce 'Fresh Air Friday' too, in an effort to really keep the costs down :rotfl:

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

purpose

progress

partnership

Thanks for popping in, reading and commenting about such a wide range of matters......... ;)

See y'all later.

Greying x
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping January - May £90/£90

Grocery spend May £235.12/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 2/24 (inc. Blankets 2/6)
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ...Maybe I should introduce 'Fresh Air Friday' too, in an effort to really keep the costs down...

GP - even my OH knows that Friday is Pizza & Wedges night!!!!

Airy dinners should be kept for woeful Wednesday's! (Tonight we eat freezer surprise! - Whatever leftovers I've forgotten to label defrosted & nuked!)

Oh BTW GP we now have an enormous bag of frozen Broc in the freezer that OH spotted in one of our rare trips to Mr T's - 90p for the equivalent of four fresh heads - and best part is no stalks to use up! OH actually pointed out that one of my lovely ladies was a fan of frozen bags of veg so we were going to give it a try! I usually buy yellow stickered veg, chop it up myself and freeze it - but this was much easier!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 3 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if y'all start on BFeeding sagas :eek:, I'm picking up my skipping rope and running home...... :rotfl:

Very cold white cabbage leaves a must for engorged hot........OK no more:eek::D;):rotfl:
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    ...OK no more:eek::D;):rotfl:

Aye - I second that!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 3 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Popping in to say hello. Paid stuff has taken over my life recently and I actually pulled an all-nighter on Monday to get it completed for a deadline - so that effectively wiped out yesterday and me whilst I recovered. I like this little job that comes up periodically but this month's version was a new brief and had more holes than a sieve so it has been very time-consuming. A little bonus has been promised but after all the work that I've put into the task - I'm thinking it better not be too little. Hmm, that makes me sound mercenary doesn't it?

The cake, Greying, will be covered in fondant and the flowers made out of either sugarpaste or fondant treated with CPC. It is a little part-time job that I do on an as and when basis. I believe its called having a portfolio career but I'm always minded of 'Jack of all trades, master of none' when I think about all the little part-time things I do :rotfl:
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£465.00 (93%)    Fn £400                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£404.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£085.00 (18%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£070.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£086.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Igamogam - *norty* :naughty: :rotfl:

joeyjimbles - *phew* - you're a whirlwind!

Well, today has been pretty fab :D And I can legitimately claim a NSD, although that is significantly easier if your purse is empty! :think:

I've got no where with my meal planner for June :(rtandon - pizza and wedges may be consigned to history - at least for the summer months - as tatties are so poor during the warmer months. We might make it to pizza and salads, but then again, have you not seen the price of cheese???? ......... :rotfl:

Dinner was influenced by the fantastic Tilly :D I had chickpea and mushroom banger Buddha bowl on my list as it was, but this morning Tills mentioned marinated peppers....... mmmmmmm lush! :p So I did a 'quick' version - I suppose they edged more towards sweet and sour quick pickled peppers, but they were nice anyhoo :D So there was steamed millet, sweetcorn, grated carrot, marinated peppers, the bangers and I topped it off with 'catnip' dressing ;) Pic;

016_zps8ssb1e1p.jpg

And no, my drizzling hasn't got any better :o

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

competent people :T

people accepting compliments when their organisation has 'got it right'

people who are kind - especially when it's extended to me :D

I did however, have to marvel yet again at folk who think that they've hit the *big time* because they wander round with a telecom/earpiece stuck to the side of their head...... ho hum........ :( Perhaps I should get me into *status symbols* :rotfl:

Thanks everso for popping by and keeping me company. Much obliged :D

See y'all later.

Greying x

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• Greying_Pilgrim
    edited 30 May 2015 at 9:20AM
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

I hope you have wall-to-wall sunshine wherever you are..... anyone would think it is coming to the end of the holidays the way the weather has improved......... :):(

Last night's tea ended up being pizza and wedges, simply because it was actually easier to make than the alternative, and I didn't have some ingredients. I did invest in some cheese - bought mrL's 1kg block of mature cheddar for £4.39. This is cheaper than it used to be - £4.99, but it's still quite a chunk o'dosh :( I must admit, it tastes nice, but the block I got was quite crumbly - making it difficult to grate and it didn't melt on top of the pizza that well. Cheese officionados will possibly throw their hands up in disgust and say that's the sign of brill cheese. Possibly so, but I just needed melty cheese to top me pizza....... :rotfl:

Actually the *money saving* bit of last night's tea was actually the wedges. I used up the last of the potatoes that I had bought in a 7.5kg bag for £2 from mrM. I had kept them far too long and they were doing a good impression of seed potatoes :( As you can imagine, I had to divest them of quite a lot of roots, and the roots had started to take the energy from the tubers, so they were quite wrinkly :( Never the less, out of about 12 potatoes, I only threw away 3 small ones, 2 because they were beyond edible in wrinkliness and one was green. They cooked OK, but because they were quite soft to begin with, they cooked up much more like potato skins that you get in chain restaurants. Perfectly edible, but not much in the way of flavour. Still, minimal waste and it made a meal so :T The pizza was black olive - and I didn't burn the top, I sprinkled paprika on the top, which usually melts into the cheese and makes a lovely oil which soaks into the pizza. With uncooperative cheese, this did not happen :rotfl:

026_zps2hlinkx8.jpg

Amongst other things today, I really must tackle next month's meal planner. For the next 4 months I see nothing but drip, drip, drip of monies to pay for various bits and bobs. None of the amounts very large, but as we know, they all add up and you've eaten up your budget in no time :( It's all very well me feeling smug about using wrinkly tatties once. I need to keep a firm grip on the budget, whilst simultaneously making food that will nourish, sustain and at least look vaguely appealing to the eye. *sigh*. Still, I'm not put off by the challenge. It's within my abilities to try to make it work, and everything that needs to be paid for has come about because we have made certain decisions about life and the way forward. It represents progress.

Better finish up my cup of coffee and go shift a tail feather. I have actually got a load of stuff that I want to achieve today. And as I'm prone to procrastination, I'd better haul myself up and get moving :D

Thanks for popping in and reading. Always, always appreciated.

See y'all later.

Greying x

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport