Tips for my cat?

in Pets & Pet Care
80 replies 8K views

Replies

• mistymisty Forumite
    1K Posts
    You can buy the spray that you spray the house with from the environmental health department for about £2 instead of the £15 version from the vets. It's says on the tin suitable for treating household fleas and can be used on carpets etc. I had to sign to say that is what I was going to use it for. Doubt I will need it this year as my cat has been missing for over 3 months. I'd had him since he was 3 months and would be 13 this July.
  • catzninecatznine Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    misty wrote:
    You can buy the spray that you spray the house with from the environmental health department for about £2 instead of the £15 version from the vets. It's says on the tin suitable for treating household fleas and can be used on carpets etc. I had to sign to say that is what I was going to use it for. Doubt I will need it this year as my cat has been missing for over 3 months. I'd had him since he was 3 months and would be 13 this July.

Thanks for this! I am so sorry about your cat (((((HUG))))) you must miss him so much they really do become part of the family don't they!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • mink35mink35 Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sheel wrote:
    another point is that flea collars often can cause an allergic reaction

ditto that advice. My mum had five cats, all indoor/outdoor but she combed them every day (she was bored cos she had to retire early!). One big fat cat got fleas so she bought a collar - boy did he go nuts!

Was ok for about half an hour then initially started scratching at collar, then jumping and scratching, then running round and round the house - you get the picture! Mum had to take the collar off (he was very nasty while she did this which was very unusual) and then she let him outside where he proceeded to run/jump round and round the garden like a mental cat. :eek:

This was actually quite funny to watch but obviously had a more serious side to it :D He was not a happy cat for about a week afterwards and made his neck sore where he had scratched at it. :(
    Mink
  • QueenieQueenie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    misty wrote:
    .... Doubt I will need it this year as my cat has been missing for over 3 months. I'd had him since he was 3 months and would be 13 this July.

Oh, misty! :(:(:(

Don't give up hope (yet!) did you go to the Police Station and report him missing? (Yes, they keep a missing pet register as well as human!).

I was told when Malachi went 'missing' (it was only two nights tho and a passing mention in the P.O.) that cats always come home "to die" ... hence why I know so much about the fate of my outdoor cats :( ... in your furbaby's case, it's possible, that he really has gone "missing", for whatever reason. The Police keep a register of animals that have a) been reported missing and b) reported "found". If your cat got into any kind of difficulties, it's still possible that your furbaby could have been picked up and taken to a rescue centre.

((hugs)) Keeping my fingers X'd for you that a few investigations bring your baby home.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • SnowyOwl_2SnowyOwl_2 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    misty wrote:
    Doubt I will need it this year as my cat has been missing for over 3 months. I'd had him since he was 3 months and would be 13 this July.

Misty, don't give up hope...cats do go missing like this sometimes and then one day waltz in for their food and wonder why everybody is staring at them. That is excellent advice from Queenie, and definitely worth doing if you haven't done it already. I really hope he comes back to you, it's so heartbreaking to lose one of your little friends...

(((((Big Hug to You)))))
  • culpepperculpepper Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Our cat used to have fleas but hasnt had any for about 4 years.Since our old woofer died. She used to get bitten terribly and we used to use frontline drops on them both (dog version and cat version as they are different strengths). Apparently fleas like long grass and carpets and heating ,so keeping the lawn mown and not having carpets downstairs must be helping. Fleas also prefer dogs as they cant reach to scratch quite like a cat can.
    Does anybody elses cat,only drink rain water? We have put water down but he wont touch it. He prefers the water from puddles or the lid of next doors rain barrell. He only eats dry food so it cant be he is not thirsty.
  • Jay-Jay_4Jay-Jay_4 Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Maybe your puss doesn't like the taste of chlorine? My cats used to prefer puddles to their water bowl.....in fact I don't think I ever saw them use their water bowl :confused:
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• MurtleMurtle Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Queenie - love the term furbaby.....thought it was the name of your cat!!!!

water from a bowl.....purlease mine like it from the bath/shower or the sink/basin.....have to keep the toilet seat down so the don't accidently jump in (hope they wouldn't drink from it).......I just put water down to make myself feel better and to accidently kick it, when I'm half asleep!!!
  • QueenieQueenie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL @ Murtle - no, my "furbaby" is called: Schatzi ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Curry_QueenCurry_Queen Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    One of my cats will only drink water from a pint glass, preferably the one I'm drinking! :rolleyes:

It's very amusing to see her get her face stuck in it trying to reach the water when it's only half full though :rotfl:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides