Tips for my cat?

Comments

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nothing further to add that's helpful, as the ONLY stuff that works is Frontline, although I'd never heard of the spray and I don't think my two would ever thank me for that!! I use the little packs and put it on the backs of their neck against their skin, and then stop them from cleaning each other!

For people with dogs that live near the sea....so off post un true - sorry! My friends vet always recommended a run in the water to get rid of the fleas! She found this much easier as her dog was also allergic to the fleas and their nasty little bites!!!

As for where they came from, has he been having parties with Mr.Hedgehog or Miss. Fox when your back's been turned???!!!!!

Indoor/outdoor : my friend has 5 cats....and only 2 of them even want to go outside!!!! She has no idea why, the other 3 are quite content to watch the world go by from the windowsill. I think the main point is, that little puss has the love and attention he needs....his favourite place will be on your lap, whilst your on MSE.... (if he has any sense ;) )
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    catznine wrote:
    I've had cats all my married life and found that the frontline spray from the vet is the most effective at dealing with the problem. It is a bit pricy though!
    Just spray on cat (to do this first corner cat in room with no exits :D) Cat will not be best pleased! Do not expect to be forgiven for quite some time! When cat finally comes back (after long huff behind settee) try combing you should be able to remove some of the corpses.

Good luck Queenie!

Or get some help, hold moggy on kitchen worktop, or in bathroom sink/bath, any slippery surface where puss can't get a grip to skedaddle, then spray away.

And yes, don't expect to be forgiven too soon:rolleyes:
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Interesting point about indoor cats (sorry I know that you said it isn't up for debate :rolleyes: )

If you have a cat that doesn't want to go out or can't for whatever reason then what's the problem with that? I mean.... what cat doesn't want to spend it life asleep on top of the ironing pile or on your lovely clean duvet or lying on the kitchen worktops after you've just cleaned it? :D

Inside in front of the fire or outside in the rain... I know what I'd choose ;)
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Eliza252
    Eliza252 Posts: 449 Forumite
    yep our cat is happy as pie with indoor status - she HATES it outside, the wind ruffles her fur you see, she doesnt like that - she ventures out onto the porch sometimes but anything but a slight breeze and she's back in by the radiator again. She is also a big wuss and cant stand the damp patch on the back of her neck from the front line - dont ask me how I managed to raise such a softy!
    I forgot to mention - she actually has a choice - she lives with my parents in the country!
    I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
    Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jay-Jay wrote:
    Interesting point about indoor cats (sorry I know that you said it isn't up for debate :rolleyes: )

If you have a cat that doesn't want to go out or can't for whatever reason then what's the problem with that? I mean.... what cat doesn't want to spend it life asleep on top of the ironing pile or on your lovely clean duvet or lying on the kitchen worktops after you've just cleaned it? :D

Inside in front of the fire or outside in the rain... I know what I'd choose ;)

I think the problem is that many cat owners, especially in the UK, get rather snotty and sometimes offensive when people admit to keeping indoor cats and think it's unnatural not to allow them to go outdoors, and I guess that's why Queenie didn't want that particular issue debated. I've seen it plenty on various cat forums and it can often get rather ugly :(

I personally don't have a problem with it, and have already said my own two are indoor cats although that's more from necessity than choice because of where I currently live. Yeah i could let them out and would probably never see them again, or find them squashed on the road, so I'm quite happy to keep them "in prison" :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    We used the frontline spray rather than the drops as at the time we had 3 cats and 1 springer spaniel so it was financially better to just buy one spray to use between them! Now sadly I just have the 2 cats (who I love to pieces, really :D) so perhaps it's time to go buy the drops and stop the "torture" ;)
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Yes, C_Q ... some people have strong views on the subject (which, while I respect their views, I didn't want to stir up LOL )

My previous cats were outdoor cats ....
    ... one came home with snare marks on his rear legs = amputation!

... one managed to stagger home to take his last breath on our patio (assume run over? Nope, cats who are run over do *not* reek of PETROL!! :mad: )

... one struggled to stagger home, but only made it to the boundary fence and signs of torture were equally evident on his corpse.

It was truly heartbreaking. I swore I would never have another cat!

I didn't bank on my d9yo who has always put down "Kitten" on his birthday/Christmas list since he was old enough to do one ;) I relented last year and surprised the boys when they came home from school with our adorable new family member! (Spot the 'softie' ;) )
    Funnily enough, it also cured his blankie/thumb sucking habit ... the moment we got our furbaby, he immediately ran upstairs, grabbed his blankie and put it in the basket because: "He'll be missing his Mummy and needs it more than I do; I've still got my lovely Mummy who just made all my dreams come true"

Thank you all for such great advice! :A !!!!!! the expense on this issue - it's worth it :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Js_Other_Half
    Js_Other_Half Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    What about something like this during the summer to stop him getting out through the window?:-

http://www.betterware.co.uk/
    Insect Window Screen 18103
    Easy-trim window screen to prevent insects from flying in through an open window. Allows fresh air to circulate. Attach around window frame using the self-adhesive touch-fastening strip. 130 x 150cm. See also Door Insect Screen Offer (Code 19362).

nr: 12003443

ps12003443.jpg[font=Verdana, Arial]£4.99
    [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]p12003443.jpg

[/font]
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    As a responsible cat owner you have to do whatever is going to be best for your cat. If that involves keeping them in so that they're safe then that's what you have to do.

If I had a cat that cried at the door morning, noon and night for months then I'm sure that I would relent and let it go outside but if I had a cat that needed to stay indoors, I would keep it in. !!!!!! what anyone else thinks.

BTW.... maybe in a couple of years I can borrow your method for prising my youngest from her 'dirty blanket' :D
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• There are clearly a number of caring cat owners amongst the gang, it's slightly off-topic but I'm going for it anyway.
    My 7 year old male is a porker, last summer he had bladder crystals which caused an emergency dash to the vet (bank holiday, of course!), the vet said that he couldn't wee and nearly had to amuptate his.....well, you can guess. This was caused by him being a 'fat lazy cat' (vet's words) who won't go for a wee until he's desperate. He now has prescribed crunchies that alter the chemical balance of his bladder. We have 3 others who all can eat this prescribed food, vet says OK to this and that they can have some tinned meat as well. I'm afraid that the cat is even fatter at 16 pounds than he was last year.
    The vet has said to carry on with the prescribed urinary diet and offered low calorie tinned food to replace the usual, ever seen a cat laugh? he did and told me where I can put the low calorie stuff.
    He is allowed out but doesn't take much excercise, he just saunters around.
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport