Tips for my cat?

in Pets & Pet Care
80 replies 8K views

Replies

• Js_Other_HalfJs_Other_Half Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    My 7 year old male is a porker, last summer he had bladder crystals which caused an emergency dash to the vet (bank holiday, of course!), the vet said that he couldn't wee and nearly had to amuptate his.....well, you can guess. This was caused by him being a 'fat lazy cat' (vet's words) who won't go for a wee until he's desperate. He now has prescribed crunchies that alter the chemical balance of his bladder. .

Our cat had this 2 years ago - he cost us £600 in vets fees in a month - every time he took ill it was on a weekend - 3 weeks out of the 4...

He has the Hills CD (?) but he doesn't get any moist food at all - maybe you'll have to do this for all of yours?

PS Glad to hear he didn't become a 'ladyboy' ;)
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • CullumpsterCullumpster Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Just to add to the discussion that we didn't want to have about the indoor/outdoor thing ;)

My 2 cats are outdoor cats, well i don't keep them outside all of the time, only when i'm at work and then i let them in.

But to be honest i can't get mine to *go* outside !! they're much too happy sleeping under my bed, so who am i to argue with them :confused:

The only time they want to go outside is obviously when they need to do there thing, it's usually the exact time you are at a really good part in a film or just when something really exciting is happening in Corrie or something then wo-be-tide you if you don't open the door asap, it sounds like the Frog Chorus coming from the door, MUUUUUUM MMMUUUUUUMMMM MMMMMUUUMMMMMMMM (That's what it sounds like anyway!;) )

Oh yes and the stuff on the back of the neck is the only thing to work, don't waste your money on anything else as it won't be as effective. :money:
  • jen_jen_2jen_jen_2 Forumite
    1K Posts
    re Frontline,

this thread is about getting it cheap http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=36011&page=2&pp=10&highlight=frontline

there was a thread sometime last year saying you could get it from France and the site was cheap but i cant find the thread or remember the website.
    Ready to Go Go!
  • tom_and_barbara_goodtom_and_barbara_good Forumite
    240 Posts
    ✭✭
    Our cat had this 2 years ago - he cost us £600 in vets fees in a month - every time he took ill it was on a weekend - 3 weeks out of the 4...

He has the Hills CD (?) but he doesn't get any moist food at all - maybe you'll have to do this for all of yours?

PS Glad to hear he didn't become a 'ladyboy' ;)

Unless he takes up tennis this summer I think that I might have to stop the tinned meat but there will be glum furry faces all round....not sure I can stand the angst.......we have tried feeding him different food to the other cats but you need eyes in the back of your head to make sure that he doesn't elbow them out of the way to get to 'their' food
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
  • Lillibet_2Lillibet_2 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are clearly a number of caring cat owners amongst the gang, it's slightly off-topic but I'm going for it anyway.
    My 7 year old male is a porker, last summer he had bladder crystals which caused an emergency dash to the vet (bank holiday, of course!), the vet said that he couldn't wee and nearly had to amuptate his.....well, you can guess. This was caused by him being a 'fat lazy cat' (vet's words) who won't go for a wee until he's desperate. He now has prescribed crunchies that alter the chemical balance of his bladder. We have 3 others who all can eat this prescribed food, vet says OK to this and that they can have some tinned meat as well. I'm afraid that the cat is even fatter at 16 pounds than he was last year.
    The vet has said to carry on with the prescribed urinary diet and offered low calorie tinned food to replace the usual, ever seen a cat laugh? he did and told me where I can put the low calorie stuff.
    He is allowed out but doesn't take much excercise, he just saunters around.

My Mum's cats can beat 16lbs easily. She says they are big boned but I have come to the conclusion that they must have been fathered by the beast of Bodmin or something! And they are all on low calorie prescription food & have been for years, still frighteningley HUGE:rotfl:
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Jay-Jay_4Jay-Jay_4 Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Unless he takes up tennis this summer I think that I might have to stop the tinned meat but there will be glum furry faces all round....not sure I can stand the angst.......we have tried feeding him different food to the other cats but you need eyes in the back of your head to make sure that he doesn't elbow them out of the way to get to 'their' food

Slightly off topic again (sorry queenie)

My Mum's very good with dogs and when my sister went on holiday for a fortnight my Mum looked after her rather overweight dog.

The vet had put her on a dry diet once a day and the poor dog was miserable so my Mum gave her 3 small meals a day. Two of dry food and one of wet. The doggie was much happier and the weight dropped off her. By the time my sister returned the dog had a smooth glossy coat, her dry itchy skin had cleared and the was looking much sleeker.

Maybe you could apply the same to your cat. A small amount of tinned food and a couple of snacks of dry food to get her through the day?
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• tom_and_barbara_goodtom_and_barbara_good Forumite
    240 Posts
    ✭✭
    Lillibet wrote:
    My Mum's cats can beat 16lbs easily. She says they are big boned but I have come to the conclusion that they must have been fathered by the beast of Bodmin or something! And they are all on low calorie prescription food & have been for years, still frighteningley HUGE:rotfl:

The cat in question is a non pedigree long haired chap, he looks very much like a Border Collie, in markings and in stature!

Going back to the flea thing, out of the 4 cats, we have one that is allergic to fleas and if he gets them he pulls lumps of fur and attached skin out because of the irritation, Frontline is the only product that sorts the beasties out.
    If I screw my eyes up tight I can just about see where you're coming from
  • ET03ET03 Forumite
    264 Posts
    Queenie wrote:
    the moment we got our furbaby, he immediately ran upstairs, grabbed his blankie and put it in the basket because: "He'll be missing his Mummy and needs it more than I do; I've still got my lovely Mummy who just made all my dreams come true"

that is so lovely I got a tear in my eye icon7.gif
  • SheelSheel Forumite
    45.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Queenie wrote:
    I bought an expensive flea collar.

I agree with everyone else that flea collars don't work and the back of the neck stuff is most effective , but another point is that flea collars often can cause an allergic reaction , as it did on one of our cats who had a permanent bald ring around his neck because of wearing one cat.ico

Has anyone used one of those flea zapper thingies and are they any good?
    Same old same old since 2008

• QueenieQueenie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sheel wrote:
    ..... but another point is that flea collars often can cause an allergic reaction , as it did on one of our cats who had a permanent bald ring around his neck because of wearing one cat.ico

:eek: *leans down and removes aforementioned flea collar from furbaby* :o
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides