New Post Advanced Search

Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
1.2K replies 92K views

Replies

• ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    scubaangel wrote: »
    Home from Ikea. Spent a mere £106.50, a feat which I feel requires celebrating,

And I thought it was supposed to be cheap... ;)
    especially as not only did I avoid the temptation of the kids section (love the rugs and toys), but I also came out with my furniture in white not turquoise - which I loved but given my bedside tables are white thought might look a little odd (and I couldnt justify spending another £50 on two new bedside tables in turquoise too).

And white will match more decors (decorii?) that you may encounter in your travels since you're not settling down... ;)
    Brought two of the lighter boxes in from the garage to sort, both were a little over half full so I think some careful rearranging I'll be able to get most of the contents in to one box. Then I might venture out in to the cold for another box.

Shoving two boxes into one is not sorting. Chucking stuff out you don't need would be sorting.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky." OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • scubaangelscubaangel Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hehe I could have spent more - they've some lovely solid pine things in the new ranges which are unusual shapes that I loved but £260 for a chest of drawers was a touch over my budget. So instead £39 for the chest of drawers, £10 on collapsable boxes for the shelf unit, £3 on a lamp shade, £10 on an led reading light I can clip to my bedframe, and the rest on the shelf unit itself. No toys, rugs, throws, or picture frames, or random kitchen objects made their way home with me.

The sorting part of it is when I unwrap things to start washing and repacking them, I think the boxes I brought in have the old plain crockery in which I'd planned to get rid of before I moved last time but never quite got around to.

Brought a third box in which seems to mostly have kilner jars of pasta, rice and corn kernels and random small kitchen things so that again can be repacked more sensibly and will fit some of the stuff in Dad's house in to it, like my crock pot and if I can pack it tidily enough the boxes with my jewellery and if not toiletries to free up the boxes they're currently in.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    Hehe I could have spent more - they've some lovely solid pine things in the new ranges which are unusual shapes that I loved but £260 for a chest of drawers was a touch over my budget. So instead £39 for the chest of drawers, £10 on collapsable boxes for the shelf unit, £3 on a lamp shade, £10 on an led reading light I can clip to my bedframe, and the rest on the shelf unit itself. No toys, rugs, throws, or picture frames, or random kitchen objects made their way home with me.

You surely must have all the random kitchen objects your heart must desire by now?
    The sorting part of it is when I unwrap things to start washing and repacking them, I think the boxes I brought in have the old plain crockery in which I'd planned to get rid of before I moved last time but never quite got around to.

So you've moved them twice to throw them away? ;)
    Brought a third box in which seems to mostly have kilner jars of pasta, rice and corn kernels

:T

Nice to see I'm not the only person with that kind of stuff. Good job that sort of thing lasts forever - because it'll need to.
    and random small kitchen things so that again can be repacked more sensibly and will fit some of the stuff in Dad's house in to it, like my crock pot and if I can pack it tidily enough the boxes with my jewellery and if not toiletries to free up the boxes they're currently in.

How many boxes are we talking here?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky." OMD 'Julia's Song'
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    But Ikea's random kitchen stuff can be so pretty even if I've no idea what it's actually for.

Basically, yup, from memory they were the plates I was using after packing my good ones and I'd not intended to pack them but as my family descended wanting to get the flat packed up they were among the stuff which was just put in a spare box and taken, so now I'm finally sorting the boxes they've been unpacked and are currently listed on a facebook selling site, if they go then great if not I'll drop them off at a charity shop on Friday before I head south again.

I knew the food was in one of the boxes just had no idea which and given Dad already had his store cupboard stuff there wasn't much point me unpacking it. So those jars added to the packets I inherited from the Canadian mean I have a pretty well stocked basics store cupboard, just need to get the jars/tins of 'wet' stuff like sauces.

It's smaller shoe box type boxes so they're better off packed in a bigger box to minimise faffing around with them, although again they can probably be better organised in to fewer boxes as I had 5 boxes and just split things among them. Otherwise I'll tip in the toiletries which currently live in the wicker baskets and nest the baskets to transport them.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    But Ikea's random kitchen stuff can be so pretty even if I've no idea what it's actually for.

Making moose meatballs - what else?
    It's smaller shoe box type boxes so they're better off packed in a bigger box to minimise faffing around with them, although again they can probably be better organised in to fewer boxes as I had 5 boxes and just split things among them. Otherwise I'll tip in the toiletries which currently live in the wicker baskets and nest the baskets to transport them.

I use big boxes almost exclusively (the exception being books, as a big box of books weighs enough to have its own gravity). If I need subdivision, then I use bags within the boxes.

I'm currently trying out the IKEA bags for soft stuff that doesn't need the protection of boxes - like bedding etc.
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're 'nice' boxes for keeping where they can be seen otherwise it'd all be shoved in to a big cardboard box out of sight, but these ones fit on the cubes shelf I have in my room here. The other alternative is just to tip the jewellery (most of which is boxed itself) in to my duffle bag with the towels but I fear doing that would look a bit suspect if for any reason I was pulled over while driving south.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    They're 'nice' boxes for keeping where they can be seen

Is that a consideration for transporting them/keeping them in the garage?
    otherwise it'd all be shoved in to a big cardboard box out of sight, but these ones fit on the cubes shelf I have in my room here.

Would it be worth leaving those boxes then, or do they fit in your new furniture too?
    The other alternative is just to tip the jewellery (most of which is boxed itself) in to my duffle bag with the towels but I fear doing that would look a bit suspect if for any reason I was pulled over while driving south.

"So Madam, why have you put your jewellery among your soft towels and not buried at the bottom of your pile of heavy and hard compressed air tanks?"

I put flutes amongst my socks when shifting stuff, and not because I thought it would improve the taste of wine... ;)
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not really they're storage boxes I've had for ages which are nice enough to not need hiding away, they'll fit in the new shelf but not an exact fit, but then they're not an exact fit for the unit they're on now (in my room this is stuff which made its way in to the house rather than living in the garage since my last move).

But cheese and wine are such a good pairing. :rotfl:
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    But cheese and wine are such a good pairing. :rotfl:

:p:p:p:p:p:p
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mum has put herself back on facebook which means I am now getting a steady stream of links she thinks I might be interested in - including this one
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-49620287.html

Its within a few miles of my new house and costs the same monthly rent! I can't believe how small it looks.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here