edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
1.2K replies 92K views

Replies

• scubaangelscubaangel Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh careless planning then....

I was thinking more Settle, N.Yorks than bad film set in US city but whatever works. :D

But wood saws and drills are hard work, and I'm naturally lazy - at the moment am thinking I'll just buy the chest of drawers and a couple of bookcases for the low parts of the room so I have storage and think about other things later when I actually do have my furniture in there. Am sure I can find a hall cabinet/shoe rack type storage elsewhere if I go looking when I have the measurements handy.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    scubaangel wrote: »
    Ahh careless planning then....

A calculated risk, which didn't pay off - which risks are sometimes wont to do.
    I was thinking more Settle, N.Yorks than bad film set in US city but whatever works. :D

That would be Sleepless in Seattle... :p
    But wood saws and drills are hard work, and I'm naturally lazy - at the moment am thinking I'll just buy the chest of drawers and a couple of bookcases for the low parts of the room

"The low parts of the room"?
    so I have storage and think about other things later when I actually do have my furniture in there. Am sure I can find a hall cabinet/shoe rack type storage elsewhere if I go looking when I have the measurements handy.

Yes, even try an antique shop for the small stuff. Yes, sometimes antiques are cheaper than the reproductions of those said antiques. IKEA stuff is cheap, but maybe you want to buy longer-lasting stuff for when you settle down... *snigger*
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky." OMD 'Julia's Song'
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh I omitted 'badly spelled' from the comment. My mistake :p

The front of the bedroom has a sloped ceiling either side of the window. So I need to get things which fit, its not stupidly low where the slope meets the vertical wall thankfully but its low enough that I have to think about it.

Currently trying to remember where the scrap of paper I wrote the room measurements down on has gone so I can work out exactly what I want to buy. Am thinking the chest of drawers and a shelf unit next to it where the room is back to full height, then one or two low shelf units for the other side where there's a space not wide enough to put a chest of drawers and open the drawers but would be a waste of space not using it for some sort of storage.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    Ahh I omitted 'badly spelled' from the comment. My mistake :p

Tut... :p:p
    The front of the bedroom has a sloped ceiling either side of the window.

Like a dormer bungalow?
    So I need to get things which fit, its not stupidly low where the slope meets the vertical wall thankfully but its low enough that I have to think about it.

Currently trying to remember where the scrap of paper I wrote the room measurements down on has gone so I can work out exactly what I want to buy. Am thinking the chest of drawers and a shelf unit next to it where the room is back to full height, then one or two low shelf units for the other side where there's a space not wide enough to put a chest of drawers and open the drawers but would be a waste of space not using it for some sort of storage.

I'm sure they do a sort of cupboard affair with a roller shutter kind of door on it. That should fit right into a corner.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky." OMD 'Julia's Song'
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    This evening I have made progress.

Sort of.

I've packed my Terry Pratchett books, which means when I unpack them all at the house I can sort them properly and make sure that I've not got any duplicates at last as well as having all the happy cartoony covers in one place at once for the first time in years.

Also hit a redepmtion threshold on one of the slower survey sites, but the vouchers are out of stock so need to check in a few days as I assume there's noone there to restock them at the moment - so thats £20 amazon vouchers to add to my account at some point.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    This evening I have made progress.

Sort of.

I've packed my Terry Pratchett books, which means when I unpack them all at the house I can sort them properly and make sure that I've not got any duplicates at last as well as having all the happy cartoony covers in one place at once for the first time in years.

Well that is progress and not a "sort of".
    Also hit a redepmtion threshold on one of the slower survey sites, but the vouchers are out of stock so need to check in a few days as I assume there's noone there to restock them at the moment - so thats £20 amazon vouchers to add to my account at some point.

The vouchers are "out of stock"?!

Strange...
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're one of the sites who don't seem to buy lots of vouchers at once but when they have them they're instant redeem, rather than the type who make you wait once you've hit redeem for them to actually send the voucher code. In the past when they've run out they're back in the next working day so I would guess they just don't have anyone in the office today/this week.

It's not particularly useful progress given I'm meant to be decluttering stuff out of the house and sorting the stuff in the garage. Although these are books I would never be pursuaded to get rid of so it makes it a little easier at some undefined future time to sort out the other books on the bookcase here.

I've also decided on the units I need in one side of the bedroom - so a Malm chest of drawers and a Kallax shelf unit (plus some pretty coloured boxes to fit it and hide stuff). Just the storage on the other side to sort out but my piece of paper with the room dimensions is missing that bit.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    It's not particularly useful progress given I'm meant to be decluttering stuff out of the house and sorting the stuff in the garage. Although these are books I would never be pursuaded to get rid of so it makes it a little easier at some undefined future time to sort out the other books on the bookcase here.

It's something that needed doing, and you've done it so it doesn't need doing in future. That's progress to me.
    I've also decided on the units I need in one side of the bedroom - so a Malm chest of drawers and a Kallax shelf unit (plus some pretty coloured boxes to fit it and hide stuff). Just the storage on the other side to sort out but my piece of paper with the room dimensions is missing that bit.

Oops...
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    True on the other hand am moving to a small house and there is lots of stuff boxed up already. But at some point I need to make more effort to clear out some of the stuff here so yup the 30 odd books is a start from that point of view. :D

Trouble is it's led to me rearranging books on other shelves and finding the Julian Stockwin and Patrick O'Brian's and realising that I don't have complete sets of either so have worked out which I have missing and adding them to my amazon wishlist.

Yup clearly a blonde moment, I've measured the height to the slope of the wall and the length of the bannister around the top of the stairs, but I know the wall is longer than the bannister but not by how much, nor how far across it is to where the radiator is. So I'll put that on my list of things like look in to once the rest of the stuff is there.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Home from Ikea. Spent a mere £106.50, a feat which I feel requires celebrating, especially as not only did I avoid the temptation of the kids section (love the rugs and toys), but I also came out with my furniture in white not turquoise - which I loved but given my bedside tables are white thought might look a little odd (and I couldnt justify spending another £50 on two new bedside tables in turquoise too).

Brought two of the lighter boxes in from the garage to sort, both were a little over half full so I think some careful rearranging I'll be able to get most of the contents in to one box. Then I might venture out in to the cold for another box.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here