Scuba's Saving the Ha'Pennies

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
1.2K replies 92K views

Replies

• scubaangelscubaangel Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    No its a Spanish car or rather a Canarian car since it has the old style TF plates. I choose not to try to understand my family, it would only cause even more headaches than just smiling and nodding does!

Not a massive amount but all my crockery is in there - and it would be nice to have more than one plate, bowl, glass and a mug which doesnt leak (currently using a travel mug which has a crack next to the handle), and things like tupperware containers for all the random foods my friend gave me out of her kitchen, and it wouldnt surprise me if there is still tins of food in there somewhere, I know I went looking for things like that after I moved but chances are there'll be things I missed still in the boxes.
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5135113
  • ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    scubaangel wrote: »
    No its a Spanish car or rather a Canarian car since it has the old style TF plates. I choose not to try to understand my family, it would only cause even more headaches than just smiling and nodding does!

No, I can't understand that either. But, braving British roads with a left-hand drive car is...adventurous...
    Not a massive amount but all my crockery is in there - and it would be nice to have more than one plate, bowl, glass and a mug which doesnt leak (currently using a travel mug which has a crack next to the handle),

Get rid of it. Life's too short to be using cheap broken stuff.

Personally, I need to continue my purge of vacuum flasks. For some the insulation has broken down and they're crap now.
    and things like tupperware containers for all the random foods my friend gave me out of her kitchen, and it wouldnt surprise me if there is still tins of food in there somewhere, I know I went looking for things like that after I moved but chances are there'll be things I missed still in the boxes.

Well, one day you'll be able to settle down, and you won't have anything in a box in a garage somewhere.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky." OMD 'Julia's Song'
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was my friends, she used it for her morning coffee on the way to work and it got cracked while she was packing so I've borrowed it while I was waiting to get up here and sort my own stuff out, along with a pan (mainly used as a kettle) - both are to be thrown out when I head back.

I think when Mum and Step Dad moved back from tenerife they drove as it was cheaper than shipping back what they wanted so it's lived in the garage ever since - although I think this time they really might take it back as they spent a couple of days in the apartment this week (I did my dutiful daughter taxi act to drop off and pick up at assorted airports) and seem to have arranged to buy a covered parking spot in the complex carpark.

I think I have a flask somewhere in the boxes, should check if it still has any insulation in it if I find it while I'm sorting.

Settle down? What a very odd concept. ;)
    It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    It was my friends, she used it for her morning coffee on the way to work and it got cracked while she was packing

Was it the rugby kick into the box that did it in? :eek:

The worst I've ever done to them is have the little foam pad drop off the bottom.
    I think I have a flask somewhere in the boxes, should check if it still has any insulation in it if I find it while I'm sorting.

It's an easy enough check. Otherwise, you risk your tea going cold, and that could be a disaster...
    Settle down? What a very odd concept. ;)

You have too many beds now to be footloose and fancy-free... :p
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky." OMD 'Julia's Song'
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beds can be dismantled, stored or sold. I'm still good to remain unsettled.

Not quite made it out of the front door yet today, was hoping the fog would lift this morning but it's not so it'll be very very cold in the garage which is why I'm watching tv and trying to remember where all the books I want to pack are on my bookcases while browsing the Ikea website and wishing I'd measured the house porch area as I'd like to put some sort of storage in there but think the one I like might be too long for the space.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    Beds can be dismantled, stored or sold. I'm still good to remain unsettled.

I thought you were really enjoying your job - why would you ever want to leave the area?
    Not quite made it out of the front door yet today, was hoping the fog would lift this morning but it's not so it'll be very very cold in the garage

Softy... :p
    which is why I'm watching tv and trying to remember where all the books I want to pack are on my bookcases while browsing the Ikea website and wishing I'd measured the house porch area as I'd like to put some sort of storage in there but think the one I like might be too long for the space.

Yes, I shall be going to IKEA also. More boxes, more bags, and hopefully the hardened Sales shoppers will have burgered off. But first a wander through a few back streets to see what the neighbourhood is like...
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do like my job, but that doesnt mean I'll want to live in my new house forever.....

I live in the South, I choose to act like a southern softy occasionally. :p

I think Mum and I might go over to Warrington tomorrow, shes said that I should just buy the unit I like the look of and if it doesn't fit they'll bring it back and return it for me.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    ZTD wrote: »
    Yes, I shall be going to IKEA also.

Well, that was a dumb idea. Western Bypass completely chocka heading westward. I may try again later tonight...
    I do like my job, but that doesnt mean I'll want to live in my new house forever.....

I wasn't suggesting you live *there* forever, I was just thinking that once you're settled, you might want to settle.

Hmm...too many settles in that sentence...
    I live in the South, I choose to act like a southern softy occasionally. :p

You got snow where you are? I'm not quite sure if the white stuff outside is a very heavy frost, or a very light snow.
    I think Mum and I might go over to Warrington tomorrow, shes said that I should just buy the unit I like the look of and if it doesn't fit they'll bring it back and return it for me.

Go to the display and pace it out. Your feet will probably remember the size even if your eyes don't.
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not fun, we're likely to get to our Ikea the cross country route to avoid the motorway.

Far too many settles, on the upside we're not talking about settling in Settle which would be even more confusing.

No snow over here, just the fog, although the snow from Boxing Day hasn't entirely melted just frozen up I think.

I can probably guesstimate the length of the space along one wall but its the shorter wall I'm ideally wanting to put it against to use the space behind the front door under the boiler.
    Sir Terry Pratchett
    Find my diary here

• ZTDZTD Forumite
    24.3K posts
    Not fun, we're likely to get to our Ikea the cross country route to avoid the motorway.

Yes, I normally go "the back way" there - but with wandering around prior, I was in the wrong place for that.
    Far too many settles, on the upside we're not talking about settling in Settle which would be even more confusing.

Sleepless in Settle, starring Thom Anks and Peg Myan... ;)
    I can probably guesstimate the length of the space along one wall but its the shorter wall I'm ideally wanting to put it against to use the space behind the front door under the boiler.

Well since it's IKEA, for most of their stuff you can "modify" with a wood saw and a drill...