IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Liverpool Airport PCN received from Vehicle Control Services

Options
Toiletduck
Toiletduck Posts: 181 Forumite
edited 26 February 2015 at 4:53PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi I appreciate the newbie faq posts are very detailed but Id appreciate a little advice as Im not 100% clear on the lease car impact.

Anyway here it is:

PCN issued this month with a conravention date 2 calendar months previously at Liverpool Airport, reason given is "Stopping on a roadway where stopping is prohibited". Photographs of stopped car provided.

I was planning on using the template letter for the first stage appeal but Im not 100% clear on the lease car notes at the end of the page. Complications are its a lease car in my wifes name. Is my wife the keeper?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    yes she is the keeper, but the point here is you dont want an NTK going to the lease company (the RK at the dvla), them paying it and then the keeper or driver trying to sort it out after being charged by the hirer

so the keeper sends the template letter to deflect the PPC away from the RK
  • Toiletduck
    Options
    Redx wrote: »
    yes she is the keeper, but the point here is you dont want an NTK going to the lease company (the RK at the dvla), them paying it and then the keeper or driver trying to sort it out after being charged by the hirer

so the keeper sends the template letter to deflect the PPC away from the RK

OK thanks, I presume the lease company is not involved at this stage though anyway as we received the PCN directly. Just reading the faq, worryingly the PCN mentions IAS as the 2nd stage appeal service whereas all the success stories on here appear to relate to POPLA?
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    I think most are porting to the IAS as fast as they can be facilitated.
    Which will take as right back to square one of completely ignoring them until they put up in court.
    As far as i know keeper liability does not extend to airport land, so the registered keeper should be exempt from POFA.
    Anyone clarify this ?
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    Toiletduck wrote: »
    OK thanks, I presume the lease company is not involved at this stage though anyway as we received the PCN directly. Just reading the faq, worryingly the PCN mentions IAS as the 2nd stage appeal service whereas all the success stories on here appear to relate to POPLA?

seems to me that the hire company have followed the BVRLA directive from earlier this year (or earlier) and have notified the PPC of the keeper of the hire car, hence the keeper will have received the NTK in their name, so the keeper can alter the template letter to say KEEPER and not REGISTERED KEEPER (if it needs alering) and appeal it

this will be turned down

then its 6 years of ignore UNLESS an LBC or MCOL arrives from the PPC as there is no faith in the IAS and no popla if its after the IPC join date
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    Options
    VCS moved to IPC on 29/9/14. Is your 'parking' event date before or after that date?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Toiletduck
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    VCS moved to IPC on 29/9/14. Is your 'parking' event date before or after that date?

It's in October unfortunately.

If each appeal is guaranteed to be rejected, what is the point in following the procedure in the newbee FAQ?

Is any sort of response just going to make them more likely to come after you? Perhaps it's better not to enter into any process with them and ignore all correspondence? What do they do when the appeals fail?
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    If this ultimately goes to a small claims court, showing you've been reasonable in following the appeals' process could be more beneficial than not doing so. But VCS aren't likely to go anywhere near a court with their very spurious pursuit of 'parking' charges on land covered by byelaws - even though they seem not now to be pursuing the keeper under POFA 2012 with their weasel words about assuming the keeper was the driver on the day - 'balance of probabilities' tosh!

You need to get a photo of their signage, as they may well still be using BPA-style signs (breach/contravention) that the IPC don't like and the IAS can uphold appeals on.

But don't stop to take shots - Catch 22!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Hang on, on what basis can the I.A.S. turn down an appeal based on byelaws/relevant land. Surely refusal would expose them to ridicule should it ever get to court.

Would it not be better to lodge the appeal and if they turn it down write to your MP, motoring association local paper etc,. pointing out the dichotomy between their decisions and Popla, which routinely upholds appeals at airports.?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Hang on, on what basis can the I.A.S. turn down an appeal based on byelaws/relevant land. Surely refusal would expose them to ridicule should it ever get to court.

Would it not be better to lodge the appeal and if they turn it down write to your MP, motoring association local paper etc,. pointing out the dichotomy between their decisions and Popla, which routinely upholds appeals at airports.?

They can pursue the driver under Byelaws but not the keeper as PoFA 2012 does not provide for this. Depends who they are pursuing, and hence my comment about their quite recent change of tack and their 'balance of probabilities' weasel words.

I wouldn't disagree with your final paragraph.

This wouldn't go anywhere near a court, and if it did, the legal heavyweights from here and PePiPoo would be fighting with each other to get their day in court alongside the OP.

• The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2014 at 10:56PM
    Options
    I suppose that on this "balance of probabilities" thing, if you were not the driver you can always swear an oath to that effect and, when you win in court, charge it to the claimant. The last time I swore such an oath it cost £60.

However, the downside is that if they chicken out you may have to claim/counterclaim against them.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure