Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2015

Options

Comments

• bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yinster wrote: »
    It is as safe as walking on the pavement. Sidewalk on the strip leads straight to it. However you do have to jaywalk to get to the middle. But as it is a long road you can see when it is clear to cross. Didn't take long to walk it from our hotel. If you want you can take the bus (both Deuce and SDX stops at Mandalay Bay) to the last stop and then walk the rest.

Buffet wise - I research so much on them and decided on three different ones - Aria, Mirage and Bellagio. All were lovely. The Aria And Bellagio lets any MLife member go in the special queue whilst the Mirage it is the next level up from Sapphire. However the Mirage is the cheapest and includes alcohol. My partner who is fussy found something in all three to eat. I did the BOGOF option as getting two free cost a lot of LPs and we could afford to pay a buffet each time. Plus it meant I could charge it to my room as it was a MGM hotel.

ok thanx for the detailed feedback, It was our first time in vegas last year(94 days to our next trip :D) and we were unsure how far the sign was but will consider walking next time.
    and thanks for the info on the buffets!!. my brother and I are not really *foodies*(If that is a real word) as long as it tastes ok, warm and wont make us sick then its fine by us, we dont need any of the 5 star stuff sorta thing.
    anyhow thanks again for the info !
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    lesley74 wrote: »
    Is that definite? I didn't know that. I've stood in the queue at Bellagio a few times, and it never occurred to me that any MLife member could just go in the special queue.

I wonder if it may change depending on how busy they are, etc...it shows pearl and up officially.

https://www.mlife.com/pages/tier_benefits_las_vegas.html

Certainly worth having a look at the signs / trying it, though.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Yinster
    Yinster Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    Holiday Haggler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    I wonder if it may change depending on how busy they are, etc...it shows pearl and up officially.

https://www.mlife.com/pages/tier_benefits_las_vegas.html

Certainly worth having a look at the signs / trying it, though.

I thought that as well but when I went to both The Aria and Bellagio the sign just said MLife and they accepted me whilst the The Mirage clearly stated which level.

But yeah if you go then do check the sign at the queue. I did :)
    Wins in 2015

Kettle Chips, Cambridge Satchel Bag, Tixs to Sound Of Music UK Tour, Name on a bench, Hotel Chocolat Eggs, Cuddly Dog, Stabilo pens, Samsung Galaxy Tab S, LG G Flex 2 phone, Gramofon, Lunch Meal For Two at La Tasca, Lunch For Two at Handmade Burger Company, £30 Gourmet Burger Kitchen Voucher, Canon Ixus Camera
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    Cheers for info all :)
    Best I checkup with R Petty driving, as the GT350 is auto, and I like my manual gears!!! :) Has to be the GT 500, as GT350 will be like driving the Challenger....
    That changes things, as the GT500 was far and away the car that put the biggest smile on my face, the launch control was great fun which I guess isn't on the 350 and of course no where near the same power, for me without the 500 I probably wouldn't have done it
    Of course if they add the viper!!!
  • StuieUK34
    StuieUK34 Posts: 2,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I emailed them last night to ask if they are fazing out the GT500 totally, and fazing out by June....
    GT500 has a lot of horses, and the torque to go with it, where as the GT350 is toned down :(
    Although 3rd gear only on the straight ??? I was planning on hitting at least 120mph on that straight you get!!! need at least 4th! :D
  • nvh
    nvh Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I got to 124mph (think others on here have reached higher)

"Tall" gearing means it's good in 3rd up to about 140mph ;)
  • Gilly_flower
    Gilly_flower Posts: 199 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Which would you choose - TI or Bally's?

We're in LV for just 2 nights in April.
    Bally's - £57 total (+ resort fees), includes 'continental breakfast'
    TI - £69 total (+resort fees), inc. 2 for 1 cocktail, show & buffet*
    I booked TI on half price last week and thought it may be a bit swisher... but I'm thinking now the position of Bally's is still better.

*we have Myvegas rewards for buffets & show already.

Which would you choose?
    In both they are standard rooms - not sure if I will be $20-ing - would it be worth asking for a specific room type? (or indeed avoiding anything in particular?)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    StuieUK34 wrote: »
    I emailed them last night to ask if they are fazing out the GT500 totally, and fazing out by June....
    GT500 has a lot of horses, and the torque to go with it, where as the GT350 is toned down :(
    Although 3rd gear only on the straight ??? I was planning on hitting at least 120mph on that straight you get!!! need at least 4th! :D

I got to 129 on the straight but it was the 0 to 60 which was awesome in 3.9 the other 2 don't come close and I guess the 350 won't :(
    Was in 3rd
  • moreofthegoodstuff
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    Which Cirque show? We would normally book in advance using whatever discount we can find online. I guess it depends which show, how flexible you are on dates and how important the show is to you.

Thanks for the reply, we have been recommended the Beatles Cirque show but we don't really mind, just want to see a really good one, date wise it has to be one of three nights (4/5/6 May)
  • moreofthegoodstuff
    Options
    from memory a taxi from McCarran to Vdara is around $25... I generally try to avoid the whole tunnel/no tunnel debate. I subtly let the cab driver know we're regular visitors (we're not really!) so there's a hope he doesn't take a loooong way round! I generally find if you're polite and confident, you get a bit of respect!

but you simply walk out the terminal, follow the signs for taxi stands and they have a good system for getting you a cab - there'll be an attendant who manages the queues and will look after you.

You might get approached by private taxi services (limo, etc.) - but I can't honestly remember if that happens at Las Vegas, or I'm thinking of somewhere else!! :D - if so just ignore them and head for the regular taxis as they'll be cheaper.

for taxi tips, I usually aim around 10%, or round it up to the nearest note (so for the $25 taxi ride, might give them $30, if they helped with the bags and were polite, etc.)

have a great time, i miss the Vdara!!
    Thanks! We can't wait, looked at loads of hotels and settled with the vdara as like the modern look/no smoking etc, on the 8 week count down at the moment, which room type did you stay in?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure