Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2015

Options

Comments

• bobbyhibs
    bobbyhibs Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lesley74 wrote: »
    I see Vegas is very hot just now, hopefully it cools down a bit for our trip next week - 10 days now till we go :j

Fingers crossed we don't get the rain this year...we seem to have been plagued with it on recent visits. Hard to believe we've seen so much rain in the desert!!

Im so well jealous, 10days huh(9 today it seems)
    When we went last year in july we thought hello, vegas, in july, in the derset its gonna be mega hot. Granted it was super warm, but we had 2 cloudy days and one of them it rained for about 5mins!
    enjoy your trip and hopefully hear about your adventour when you come back enjoy!!!:beer:
  • justcat
    justcat Posts: 271 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I'm back again! So, it looks like we're going to take most of your advice and stay another night in Vegas! We're still going to stay at the Bellagio but has anyone tried the $20 trick recently? I only see stuff for a few years back and I wonder if it is still a thing...
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    justcat wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm back again! So, it looks like we're going to take most of your advice and stay another night in Vegas! We're still going to stay at the Bellagio but has anyone tried the $20 trick recently? I only see stuff for a few years back and I wonder if it is still a thing...

does'nt work although i havent tried it , according to the experts on tripadvisor its just an urban myth
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Kernow666 wrote: »
    does'nt work although i havent tried it , according to the experts on tripadvisor its just an urban myth

It's not an urban myth. I have tried it dozens of times, sometimes works sometimes not, some hiotels it's worth trying , some not.
    I haven't tried at bell ago

You also need to know what you want and what is a real upgrade, ie even a high floor strip view maybe $20 a night extra normally, but the $20 bribe may get you it for the $20, of course you may also get it just by asking.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Definitely NOT an Urban Myth -I've used it to good effect at CP (better tower) and the Flamingo (Go room upgraded to Superior Go room with fountain view).

I've also had a dirt cheap priceline hotel room upgraded to a suite without asking (and no previous history with the hotel) however.

It's Vegas - think of it like your first Vegas bet-worth a punt :)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    agree the $20 trick is not an urban myth, though it seems some places have gotten more strict...but it is certainly worth trying. I think it's worked for us probably 75% of the time, but I haven't tried it at Bellagio.

We normally just ask nicely if there are any complimentary upgrades available, I will have a $20 in my hand, but I don't like the 'sandwich' trick...if we get an upgrade, I will give the clerk the $20, if not, I won't.

I also agree that knowing what you are after is a good idea - occasionally they will say 'what did you have in mind?' And you will know what is not of interest to you.

Our one (starting off very poor) experience at PH we were offered a 'strip view' complimentary, normally $20 extra a night...so OK, fine, it's something. We had to move furniture out of the way to get to the window in the first place to then bend down and look out (since the blinds wouldn't go up) and could really only see dead ahead. Anyone who paid $20/night for that would have been having words with someone, I suspect.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for your TR, ajdj. And hopefully you can convince your wife that even longer than her current maximum is perfectly reasonable. :)
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    The Red Rock pool looks rather nice-anyone tried it?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Hovis91
    Hovis91 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Collect 1,000 FREE myVEGAS Loyalty Points!
    https://apps.facebook.com/playmyvegas/Coupon/mgm/39WXX5MF

1000 gold lps
  • ajdj
    ajdj Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bobbyhibs wrote: »
    thanks for the detailed trip report ajdj, alwyas love reaidng them so thanks very much!

How was your new york experince? where did you stay?
    my brother and I had done new york(3 nights) and vegas (10nights) in june and we have booked up for next year though vegas first before new york!

This time we stayed at Hotel Sixty LES (lower east side) after a deal came up on hotels.com (7 nights was £900, which was a ridiculous bargain for a 4* with an outdoor pool in August). We're NYC veterans, been 6 times in 8 years and love the place. We actually prefer to stay in Brooklyn now (Brooklyn Heights or Park Slope) as we no longer feel the need to do all the typical tourist things in midtown. Love the local shops, bars and restaurants. We are always walking and hopping on and off the subway to explore! Averaged 9 miles a day of walking last week!

You will definitely find the flight home much better by doing NYC last, breaks up the jet lag :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure