PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good afternoon chums, just been to the bank with DGS Henry and he has opened up a current account and paid some of his paper round tips in bless him.

He is so chuffed with himself and I am really proud of how sensible he is with cash.He treated himself to a game for his Xbox and left a little bit of 'float in his piggy bank and the rest he has stashed

So far this year since August he has paid half towards his bike and bougt himself some clothes and a couple of computer games.He always looks for the best deals online first. Definitely a canny shopper that boy he will go far .At 14 he is very money savvy and asked the customer advisor lots of pertinent questions about his account.I think the guy in Barclays was quite suprised at his acumen :):):)

He also said he wanted a hot sausage roll, and had worked out that if he bought four they would only cost him the price of three in Greggs :) one for him and one each for his brothers as a treat.

He is coming to my house tomorrow after his paper round for breakfast and to help me with my Christmas cooking :):):)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :DJackieO, with your sterling example in front of him, we would expect nothing other than young Henry being exceptionally savvy for his age. Sounds like he could already teach many an adult how to manage their money better! You must be so proud.

Today, I was working (as I will be tomorrow, alas) and ran around a bit after work. Saw some mates and got my secondhand wristwatch adjusted so it sits better, two links out, done for a favour. I was going to buy a new watch in the New Year, but have got a used one for a fiver and am very happy with it, even had a new battery in it.

Went to archery yestereve and had a great laugh (I killed Santa, two baubles and 5 balloons). On the way back, I picked up some YS bargains, including best mince for 30p/ 250g. Very pleased with that and straight into the freezer. I also got parnsips, carrots and other veg and all bar the two onions have been choppe, bagged and frozen, ready for some easy cooking in January.

I did the veg prep whilst sitting on MSE in the late evening, amazing where you can find some time fragments if you look.

It's an interesting comment about Bluewater. There's a section in the disaster novel Flood by Richard Doyle about what happens at the Lakeside Shopping Centre. I shan't give any spoilers in case you ever want to read it, but it's not a good place to be if the Thames ever has a bad storm surge.

Mind you, the mere concept of a shopping centre is enough to make me want to rend my clothing and scream like a banshee. I did dive in and out of one yesterday about 4.30 as a favour for a friend and am still recovering from the horror of it all............:rotfl:

In the post-New Year sales, I think I will buy one pkt of Christmas cards, and a reduced diary and a reduced calendar. In fact, I am certain of it. The scenic Britain calendar I got last Feb for 50p has given the best return of joyfulness per penny of 2015.:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Greyqueen!! You killed Santa?????? What are we going to tell the children?????'Christmas is ruined!!!!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GQ I have read that book and its pretty frightening. yes I am very pleased with my DGS bless him and will be popping the odd fiver into his account now and then as an incentive for him
    JackieO xx
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    Greyqueen!! You killed Santa?????? What are we going to tell the children?????'Christmas is ruined!!!!
    :D Tell them Evil GQ killed a foam effigy of a cultural avatar and that the Real Santa is arrow-proof and perfectly safe.

(Other archers killed a Snowman and a Reindeer btw, as well as some more baubles and balloons). We had some laffs and I am pretty accurate even when slightly tiddly on bootleg whiskey in an unmarked bottle from a fellow archer's scottish pal. Pretty fine whiskey, if I say so myself, just no one tell the revenue man, OK?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Kerry_Woman
    Options
    Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. :xmastree:

Hugs to those who find this time of the year difficult.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

It's an interesting comment about Bluewater. There's a section in the disaster novel Flood by Richard Doyle about what happens at the Lakeside Shopping Centre. I shan't give any spoilers in case you ever want to read it, but it's not a good place to be if the Thames ever has a bad storm surge.

I love that book, As a person who grew up in south Essex, and now lives in north Kent, I've always been interested in the Thames and it's flooding

Actually there was an earlier version on the book published in the late 1970's before the Thames Barrier was completed. The author re-wrote the book, for the modern era, to include the barrier and Lakeside and Bluewater etc.

As I'm now a Kent girl, I remember the action happening at Bluewater, rather than Lakeside

Merry Christmas to all readers of this thread!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Evening everyone! Just a quick post to say I hope you've all had a wonderful Christmas! I was working in the morning and saw family in the afternoon! I must confess that I did buy some things in the sales - two toiletry gift sets which I have wanted for a few months, and new trousers and walking boots for our upcoming holiday travelling around Iceland!

Hugs to all that need them - now off to catch up on past posts!
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I love that book, As a person who grew up in south Essex, and now lives in north Kent, I've always been interested in the Thames and it's flooding

Actually there was an earlier version on the book published in the late 1970's before the Thames Barrier was completed. The author re-wrote the book, for the modern era, to include the barrier and Lakeside and Bluewater etc.

As I'm now a Kent girl, I remember the action happening at Bluewater, rather than Lakeside

Merry Christmas to all readers of this thread!
    :) Nah, deffo Lakeside, I took the book off my shelf and checked before posting as I couldn't remember which one it was, either.

Trying to work out what to spend my Santa money on and have come up with a wishlist which is........ a gooseberry bush. Possibly two gooseberry bushes. Gawd, but I know how to live it up. Oh, and I shall see the Star Wartz movie next month when the crowds have died down a bit. Other than that, can't really think of anything I need or even particularly want.

GQ - notoriously Bad at Shopping.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Merry Xmas everyone

I got my replacement Slowcooker (mine went !!!!!! a few weeks ago) a new cardigan and a box of chocolates....quite pleased as no tat came into the house :D

Have been productive and made a turkey stew with the leftovers my mum sent me home with, ate one portion, another 5 went in the freezer this morning.

Have grated and frozen some very :eek: hot chilli pepper cheese that was starting to turn in the fridge, will be easier to use in very small quantities this way. Have also made some cheese & walnut scones to use up another small block of cheese...to be fair I bought them both at a fair 3 weeks ago and they're only just starting to turn.

Oh and I went for a walk this afternoon with a bag of empty glass bottles and jars looking for the nearest recycling bin..1st two I went to don't do bottles, 3rd one does and it's only 15 min walk there and 15 mins back :D

I need to go to aldi tomorrow for veg so I'm considering going on my bike so that I can't buy loads of extras and I get some exercise.

I notice there's a New Years resolution thread already, I don't do them normally but it's set me thinking about what I'd like to do next year on the NBI front...I'd like to say I won't be buying any junk food not sure it's doable though :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure