PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have read along all year and find I sometimes find myself saying "would Jackie O" put that over priced, over processed food in her shopping basket?"

Golly thank you, I never thought anyone would think of me when shopping :) But you're right I just won't buy something that I cannot make myself cheaper, and more tasty if possible. I certainly don't like processed food much at all:)

I have started on my house decluttering by doing one small thing at a time.I have so far de-cluttered an enormous amount of junk (stuff just shoved in the kitchen drawers) since Saturday.Its surprising what you find.its so satisfying as well;)

I am definitely going to carry on de-junking my house :) have more kitchen drawers to do and 8 cupboards as well.Its been a busy week so far and yesterday I was out and about for most of the day book club Christmas 'do' and dog and child sitting then the cinema last night with DGS.
    Today I am off to my friends in Dartford then, tonight to quiz night at the local pub so today won't be much in the way of de-cluttering I think Thursday I will manage to get maybe another two drawers done and probably several bags of stuff for the CS
    Certainly no food shopping needed at all as my huge food stash is going to be worked through over the next few months.

Considering I live alone I seem to have gathered quite a lot of un-needed stuff over the past few years and I am going to make 2016 my minimalist year as much as possible.
    Those groaning shelves of books are going to be read and passed on,the cupboards full of food and clothes are also going to be used or C'shopped, and as for the paper work it also has to go.:D
    this thread has been an inspiration for us all I think and we have all drawn from it I think
  • GrannyKate
    GrannyKate Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Returned from another little trip away. Pleased to have stayed well within my spending budget including a few items from my Christmas list. Hotel, travel and concert tickets paid for earlier in year but my budget covered nice food, wine and taxis so pleased with myself.

I found myself in a major city (Glasgow) on a December Saturday - not done this for years - it was manic. I was good and only purchased 5 pairs of black socks for myself which I did need. Everything else off Christmas list. I have a number of things left to buy and I intend to go out and buy them all in one trip this week. Then food items to take to DD early next week.
    2024 Decluttering Campaign 573/2024 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️
    2024 Weight loss target 0/28 lbs
    2024 1p challenge 131/366 days Total £121.92

• vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    chirpycheap,I know EXACTLY what you mean about thinking you are a canny shopper.I thought that until I got involved here.What shocked me was when I wrote every purchase down for a couple of months.Couple of quid in the chazza,50p at a carboot,all on stuff I like not need.

We moved house earlier in the year and I got rid of masses of stuff,but on unpacking it there are more things I realise I have no use for.I would love to continue to use this thread to help me focus in the new year. Vx
     :
  • chirpycheap
    Options
    So for the last Fifty +++ years the Christmas Radio Times has been a part of my families festive experience. There was nothing more exciting than opening the pages and discovering what delights were in store for us over Christmas. All of us in the family would circle the programmes that we liked and hard battles would be fought if your programme clashed with somebody else's as the video recorder hadn't been invented.
    Fast forward to the modern TV Christmas with multi channels, recording and digital downloads and our families experience is much different. I no longer buy a weekly TV paper as we look at the on screen TV guide but the Christmas Radio Times is a tradition so off I went into town to pick up a copy.
    Can you believe it the Christmas Radio Times is now £4! Well I hummed and harred for a while. Tradition v cost? In the end I compromised and bought the £1 TV Quick magazine which as far as I could see has all of the TV info I will need.
    It made me think about all the things that we do that are done because they are a family tradition. The stuff that doesn't cost a penny is wonderful but some things we do are perhaps no longer relevant in our lives.
    I no longer make a Christmas cake. I'm not a great baker and the cost of buying all of the ingredients for a once a year cake that nobody wants to eat is a waste. The Radio Times tradition seems to have gone the same way sadly.
    What traditions have other people dropped in favour of money (or even time) saving?
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bigjenny wrote: »
    tara747 whole thread dedicated to Marie Kondo here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

Oh, thank you very much :)
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • eandjsmum
    Options
    DDs home this weekend must get the stuff I put in her room to the chazzer. Have to do an ALDEE shop tomorrow also DS has meeting near a morries so will get petrol and all the bits I can't get in aldees. I am not joining in works xmas meal because I am busy but do feel like scrooge-bah humbug.
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Evening all

:eek: To who ever was allowing their daughter to take money out on their 'card' - unless you have a joint account, in which case I apologise in advance - you invalidate all insurances on your card and any expenditure from it if you reveal the PIN number to anyone and allow them to use it (even close family/husband/partner) NO MATTER WHAT the circumstances. Even if, years later, money is taken from your account via that card (and not by the person you confided in) the bank then has NO OBLIGATION to help you recover the monies. I know because I used to work for a bank.
    Also my son's mates at Uni would take 3 or 4 cards to the cash point and 'get money out for everyone' - my son was teased as a freak for not joining in this. Needless to say, eventually, temptation overcame one of their number who proceeded to take an extra £5 - £10 from each person each time. When discovered neither the police nor the bank would act as the foolish students had broken the terms and conditions of the contract with regard to the bank card.
    Also the students were NOT allowed new cards by any bank, and their credit history was marked as them not being credit worthy.:( Also credit purchases previously made were not covered.

Sorry if this comes over as me being heavy - I am just trying to avoid folks a lot of pain. :A So many people to this - it is very unwise - not because the person you trust is likely to let you down but just that if discovered - you have dire consequences. :(
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Hey All

Definitely - we should keep this thread next year - I have had a tough year 2015 and my virtual friends on here have been such sources of information; inspiration; help and support :A :T

However perhaps someone should PM 'Slowdown' - the orginal OP - to ask her if she would mind? - I am happy to do this if folk would like ? Unless someone has better contact details for her? :cool:

My NBI credentials are blown today spent £27 (£10 butchers + £17 Lidil) I decided to check if the butchers were really a bargain. They are the kind of butcher where there are 'packs' for £4.99 or two for £9. So I weighed the meat when I got home and memorised the Lid!l prices for the same meat - frying steak = 1p per gramme from butchers but only 0.83p from Lid!l - chicken breasts 1.8p per gramme from butchers but only 0.53p from Lid!l. So Lid!l wins!!! :D :j Lesson learned for the future!!! NBI from that butchers again!
    Hopefully this spend will be it - apart from a bit of milk - until January! :D
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • chirpycheap
    Options
    Hey All

Definitely - we should keep this thread next year - I have had a tough year 2015 and my virtual friends on here have been such sources of information; inspiration; help and support :A :T

However perhaps someone should PM 'Slowdown' - the orginal OP - to ask her if she would mind? - I am happy to do this if folk would like ? Unless someone has better contact details for her? :cool:

Nite all

I would be very appreciative of anyone reviving this thread for 2016. I'm sure lots of people will be looking to curb their spending in the new year.
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Me too as |January is always a very looong month for a lot of people especially if they have been paid before Christmas :):):)

I am retired, so my income arrives every four weeks irrespective, but I enjoy looking for ways to streetch the cash a bit further.

I am still working my way through my food mountain and de-cluttering my drawers and cupboards.I try to do a bit every day first thing that way it doesn't get too boring.

At the moment I am in my small study (aka tiny box room) and this morning de-cluttered one drawer in my desk of old papers :):):)and odds and ends that had been shoved in there out of the way :):):)
    Quite satisfying to see some clarity in the drawer, instead of bunged up with junk. I actually found an old address book from the 1970s in there !!! why on earth did I keep hold of that ,most of the folk have either moved or snuffed it :)

One of the advantages of not having to go near the shops for awhile is that I can get on with odd jobs like these.

Lynplatinum I agree liddlys are great for meat and I had some of their steak a few weeks ago and it was gorgeous and a darned sight cheaper that sainsbugs.I had a YS piece of Aberdeen Angus steak which had been reduced down to £3.40 from over £6.00 and was big enough for me to halve and freeze for two meals.I cooked one bit last week and it was so tender you could have cut it with your fingernail. I am a definite liddlys shopper now with the occasional foray now and again to W'rose when I have a money off coupon. Our local g'grocers has closed so I now go to the farm shop if I need fruit and veg and can't get to Sittingbourne for liddlys.

So lets keep the good ship NBI sailing for another year
    :):):)
    JackieO xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills