PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Options

Comments

• Southern-Girl
    Options
    Good Morning all!

I have a question that maybe someone could answer for me:)
    Can I freeze cooked gammon and if so how? Do I slice it first and, if so, how do I stop the Slices from sticking together.

I love this thread and read everyday. 2016 is going to be a new me. I live on my own and I seem to waste so much food. Recently, I have brought a small Gammon from L!dl. It only costs £3.33. I had it for dinner on Sunday with veg and roast spuds, Monday with Bubble and Squeak and then Tuesday with mash and pickles. I also have it in my sandwiches for work on three days. However, there is still some left over and I end up throwing it out as I'm fed up with it after three days. :(

Any advice would be gratefully received :)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 December 2015 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Yes you t can freeze cooked gammon. Try not to slice it too thinly or it will become very crumbly if frozen for too long. Just put layers of greaseproof paper (or waxed paper from inner csreal cartons, or even a layer of cling ffilm between each slice) and freeze flat.

If you have a lot of it to freeze try and break it down into individual meal portion sizes otherwise the gammon slices will tend to break apart when they are thawed through. Of course if you are saving this for use in home made soups this doesn't really matter..

Actually you can even use empty crisp paxkets with their inner silver foil lining for wrapping small pieces of meat in for the freezer. Just be sure to label the packages well !
  • Southern-Girl
    Options
    Thank you Primrose.

x
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would have taken a slice off prior to cooking and freeze, this could be grilled to have gammon and chips. With the left overs after you've cooked it instead of throwing away chop some up for either a quiche or use in an omelette, add to homemade soup, I also like with cauliflower cheese. I never throw anything away if I'm not going to use it straight away in the freezer it goes.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Evening all

had a good start to the day but then got asked to go and pick up a pressy from someone for whom I had not got a pressy! Awkward! Also sat for an hour and listened to them (found a pressy for them!! Box of bisc!)
    Ended up feeling starving and down and so I ended up getting savaloy and chips - bad for my purse and my waistline :( V annoyed with myself :mad: had ingredients in for a quick meal (15 mins) and just didnt do it!!!

Say summat to stop me going 'Oh ~***~' and spending more on rubbish foods!!!

nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did anyone Not but the Soap and Glory gift set that was Boots' offer of the week?

Reduced from £60 to £30.

I've still got plenty of toiletries, I don't know anyone who wants one, the mascara's too gloopy for a start and the special case is just some more toot to find space for.

The No7 special offer is also NOT being bought.

:beer:
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    I read her book, but didn't feel right thanking my old handbags n knickers, for letting me utilise them :rotfl:

Formally kneeling and bowing to her clients' houses to show respect before starting work also sounds just a weeny bit bonkers...
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did anyone Not but the Soap and Glory gift set that was Boots' offer of the week?

Reduced from £60 to £30.

I've still got plenty of toiletries, I don't know anyone who wants one, the mascara's too gloopy for a start and the special case is just some more toot to find space for.

Maybe someone should start a spin-off thread 'the gifts that didn't get bought' :rotfl:
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 December 2015 at 11:27AM
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Me too as |January is always a very looong month for a lot of people especially if they have been paid before Christmas :):):)

So lets keep the good ship NBI sailing for another year
    :):):)
    JackieO xxx

I'm one of these people..I got paid yesterday and that's it until 25 January!

That said, I'm more or less done spending, I have £14 in my purse, I'm going to see Star Wars this afternoon but tickets already paid for, I don't buy food while I'm there so saves me a fortune.

Will be calling into aldi on way home as I bought some savoury biscuits last week 500g for £1.99 and they are lovely with cheese. you only need to open half a box at a time due to way they've packed them so will last a while, have a BBD of June 2016 so going to keep a couple of boxes in.

Other than the above I don't need anything so purse will be closed tonight until after Xmas!
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Reduced from £60 to £30.

Same here I usually buy 2 of each which lasts the whole year. This year I didn't and I feel really good about it too. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure