PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Options

Comments

• 7_week_wonder
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Any ideas what I can use my mammmoth bag of lentils in ?? apart from spicy lentil soup, or to bulk out soups and stews with
    JackieO xxx

Lentil pates are nice and very easy to make. Just google lentil pate for lots of variants.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am another who Boots must be missing by the number of money off coupons they send me. I was usually the first in the door on their 70% off sale. Never did shop in Next - I think I am the wrong shape for their clothes. M&S is missing me as got a £10 off coupon for shoes in today's post. Another NSD for me as it is too breezy to go out.
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    dND Would it help your birth certificate last longer if you got it laminated?

Hadn't thought of that but it's a massive thing, nearly 2 x A4 pages and if it were laminated it wouldn't fit into the envelopes :) Once I get the new ones, it will be gracefully retired to the genealogy file along with my 'Birth of an Alien' certificate, one of the joys of being born abroad. :rotfl:
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks nursemaggie for the compliment.

well done Jackie on the non spend despite all those shops! I have a recipe for a nice simple sausage and lentil casserole if that's any help.

Lakeside is nearer to us and I rarely go as its too big for me, I can't cope with the sheer size. Friends sometimes ask why I don't go this shop and that for clothes etc. I buy most of mine from charity shops or failing that sales in supermarkets and similar places. I don't new books often - and if I do its from a discount website. I don't buy trinkets, handbags or shoes for the sake of it - just what I need for everyday use. I don't buy DVDs or CDS or anything. No expensive toiletries or perfume. No ornaments. I don't collect things as a hobby. No hair dye or hairdressers or beauty salons. Really I only buy food, essential cleaning stuff and toiletries, healthcare/prescriptions, petfood and flea/worm treatments, essential clothes and shoes for us all and presents and cards for a select few chosen carefully and within a small budget. My extras are a very cheap council gym membership and a small amount of budget makeup for a natural groomed look, not essential but important to me . I have cut out eyeliner, blusher etc so just a primer, mascara and neutral lippie. Obviously I spent money on maintenance, repair and replacement but only as necessary but not much else. DH struggles to buy me gifts as I like to choose my own clothes, don't want fancy toiletries, expensive jewellery, flowers make me sneeze and chocs are no go as I am overweight and trying to eat more healthily. The practical things I would truly love are no go for him as he says I should have a treat.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I haven't been inside Boots for ages! Have enough toiletries to last about a month or 2 as I usually buy them from the supermarket when they are properly on offer (!) and I am doing quite well at the moment using them up! I do get Boots coupons through the post but after a quick glance they always go into recycling. I think Boots can be quite pricey sometimes.
    I have been into Next more recently, but that was only to show hubby exactly which fragrance to buy for my birthday in a couple of weeks time! I like their Just Pink fragrance and it is so much cheaper than buying branded perfumes. Someone said to try a lidl fragrance once, but whenever I remember to look they never have any in stock, I've forgotten the name of it now anyway.

Our local supermarket had offers on wrapping paper this week, but as you were only saving 20p/roll I didn't bother. I know it's a saving, but I'm not sure where I would keep them for the next year and I don't know how much yet! The plan is to spend less, so hopefully less prezzies to wrap anyway. I have already decided that the kids are going to bake goodies for family members instead of the usual gifts this year and a set of xmas shaped cutters were picked up for 50p, reduced from a fiver!

I have had a couple of NSDs so far this week, but I am clearing out and selling all sorts of bits and bobs at home to try and pay for a larger spend next month. Daughter needs a new bed and so far I have saved up enough money for half of it! A mixture of selling stuff on the fb selling pages, ebay and quidco. It's quite addictive.

I have also started meal planning for each evening meal and find that it makes me have a proper look in the fridge / freezer / cupboards and use stuff up first before buying more. I'm saving about £10 - £20 / week doing this easily.

Off back to the sorting out now! I am loving not buyng anything I don't need and selling the stuff I don't, it makes me feel so much better all round. :)
  • 7_week_wonder
    Options
    I know we aren't buying it but..... there has been a lot of discussion of Waitrose on here. I've just spotted that one of my Bank of Scotland offers is to get 15% cash back on one spend at Waitrose between now and 8th Feb if I use my Bank of Scotland debit card. I don't remember anyone mentioning this yet, so it might be useful to someone?
  • I_want_a_baby
    Options
    Lovely morning here:

A trip to the dentist - free as I have a maternity exemption & all was fine.
    Took my mum who paid for the parking.
    Went in a charity shop and found the most gorgeous tea cups, they have tiny flowers all around and the china is a twisted ribbed effect with delicate handles. 4 teacups, 4 saucers, 4 side plates and a sugar bowl for £5! I couldn't resist spending my Xmas money on that, I've been smiling ever since.
    A trip to asda as mum needed to go and spent 98p on 4 large chocolate bars and a gorgeous babygrow with integral scratch mitts, it was in the sale as it was part of a pair and the other was missing, they were £8 for the set of two, I paid 98p for one :-)

Got home and had leftover pasta for dinner.
    I've taken a photo of my existing modern plain boring white teaset and will offer it up for swaps on my villages bartering Facebook page that was set up last night by my mum and a friend.
    Swaps so far are taking a car full of rubbish to the tip in exchange for a homemade celebration cake and an iPod charger for two portions of homemade beef curry! I'm hoping to find a toasting fork lol.
    2024 - happy, healthy, quality over quantity, buy nothing new (and 2nd hand only if NEEDED), mindful spending, nurturing myself and family, living for now.

Mortgage @ 31/12/23 £248k - too high, interest rate gone up - want this down asap!
    Debt @ 31/12/23 £16k - no interest - will clear over 5 years hopefully.
    Emergency savings £4k - been ransacked over last year - needs attention :-(
  • Thistle-down
    Options
    I did a big shop at Ald!s yesterday - spent £52. It should last us for 3 weeks at least, excluding top ups for fresh milk, fruit and veg.

I took my time looking around and it seems that Ald!s range has increased dramatically over the last few months. There was a time when I bought the bulk of things there but had to go elsewhere for some bits they didn't carry. Now there's no need for me to go anywhere else. :j

Very pleased with how this Not Buying It is going. I'm hoping to make another £50 payment on the credit card next week!
    :happylove
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Any of these any good JackieO? have them bookmarked and really like the look of the burgers, probably could omit some of the herbs as a bit top heavy.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/red-lentil-burgers-with-aioli
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/14253/lentil+and+spinach+lasagne
    http://www.knorr.co.uk/recipes/detail/8457/1/lentil-loaf
    Nice sunny day here - had a spend yesterday as it was my son's birthday so out to a restaurant, took our own booze and cake so worked out very reasonable. Son happy with gift of money for an Isa and help with a weekend away to Rome, result.
    Today has been spent decluttering paperwork, where does it all come from? NSD as don't need anything and menu planned, bit of ironing for this evening.
    Nice to see so many new shipmates hopping on board our very stately galleon.
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • purpleshoes_2
    Options
    Weather terrible here, managed to get out last night and teach a class before it got really wild. Its awful again just now, but the winds have to die down a bit around 4pm, thankfully as Im going out then.

I spent around £4 yesterday, went into lidl for some oatcakes and one other thing, then a couple of small spends at a local shop.

Still have some of the YS veg and fruit I bought 2 weeks ago, some apples and parsnips and they are still in ok condition

Ive just taken out a pack of veg from the freezer, usually I roast it and make fajitas, but Ive just bunged it in a pot with some stock to make soup.

Going out for dinner with my mum and brother shortly, out to teach a class and then back down to the same town for bootcamp, wont get in till 11pm.

I need to stock up again on cat food and litter, but Im ok for dinners for a couple of weeks I think.

If the weather were better I would be out and about more, but its awful, so only going out if I really have to.

I take no notice of any emails offering me money off anything, cant afford to spend and that is that.

Am supposed to be going out on sunday, but I think I'll cancel (its with a meet up group Im in, the meal is £10 and it would be 5.50 into town in fares), will let someone on the waiting list get a space and I'll use a groupon that I have for a sunday 3 course lunch at a local hotel for 2 people that I got for £15 a couple of months ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure