PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Options

Comments

• Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    smileyt wrote: »
    Ches I hope you don't think I was having a pop. Everyone's circumstances are different and I'm sure no-one is judging. If you have worked hard all your life (and 70 hours/week is madness!) then enjoy the reward you have reaped :beer:

ETA I think I'll be better off when I get to pension age too, although that's a looooong way off yet!

No smiley I didn't think you were getting at me so please stop worrying.:A I am my own worse enemy. :(
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks GQ. Can't help with mobile phone costs as we only have PAYG and £5 a month is more than I need. BB etc, I have gone back to BT as they phoned me and offered me a good deal £27.29 per month which gives me free phone calls 24/7 up to an hour each then redialling. Unlimited BB and BT sports (OH is so happy). When I asked why they couldn't do that before I left them to go to Post Office, I was told he was calling from a new dept with the power to do deals to get people back to BT.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :)Ches, I've heard it said that a good way to re-negotiate anything is to ring up your existing provider and say that you want to cancel your subscription and, dollars to doughnuts, you get transferred to something like a 'retention dept' who can somehow manage to offer you the same or even better, for less than you've been paying.

I've been out for most of the afternoon at the flicks, spending some of my Xmas money. I don't enjoy films in the evening, even ones starting 18.00, which I can just about hook up with working friends for, don't work too well for me - have ME and tire easily.

I got a wriggle on to make it there on time (never have I racked a laundry load so quickly, lol) and then had to sit thru 27 mins of adverts and trailers (i.e. movie adverts) whilst getting a numb b*m. What a load of tripe. I shall make sure I add 20 mins to any advertised start time when I got the that place again, just so as not to have my brain polluted.

Got 2 full-on days for the rest of the week and by the time I tumble out of the workplace, I very much doubt anything other than scurrying home and getting t'kettle on will be in my mind.

Keep up the good work, lovely peeps, wonder if B00ts is going to notice your abstinence when the get their Q4 reports come May?:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • 76rosie
    76rosie Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    i am a regular lurker on this thread.

i do follow the not buying it philosophy in my life...

but i am getting worse.

i work in the food industry so i know a lot about food spoilage etc so i never throw food away until i have opened it and checked. i hate waste.

i absolutely love extreme cheapskates and love jeff yeager.

i just wanted to say that if you don't mind a little bit of effort e2save has good redemption deals. My talkmobile contract has 250mins and works out free....
    grocery challenge 9.86/60
  • Busymumofthreeplusdog
    Options
    NSD! Woohoo. Took lunch to work and purse stayed firmly shut!
    Busymumofthreeplusdog......
    ..............on a mission to curtail the spending and build up the savings
    2015 NSD total - 5
  • Bathory
    Bathory Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Boots 50% and 70% off sales - something that suckered me in for quite a few years.
    Was in the Macclesfield branch today and came out with zilch, what a load of rubbish, don't need it and if I do run out of anything there is always loads of deals on throughout the year.
  • imataloss
    imataloss Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Hello. I've been reading this thread since it started. I'm also guilty of buying too much stuff that I don't need. Will be making an effort to stop this year.
    Had a result with Sky today. Was offered 35% discount off package cost for 8 months if I commit to a new 12 month contract. Also price checked gas and will be changing supplier. Will save over £200 per year.
  • 7_week_wonder
    Options
    Able SeaWoman 7WW reporting for duty!

Phone shop visited, "tempting" offers on tablets refused, tariff reduced to £10 per month :j:j:j

Thank you ship-mates for all your prompting! It was, as I should have guessed, completely straightforward. I'm glad I did it in a store as I have the paperwork just in case anything goes wrong.

And thank you Fairy3 for the link to the happiness website: it has been saved for future use.

A very quiet day here, and now we are getting organised for a visit down to my mum's. We're going directly from work tomorrow evening so we are having to be ultra-organised this evening.

Have a good evening everyone. I'll be reading on my phone over the next day or so, but may not get a chance to check in until the weekend.
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Evening shipmates!

Well done on everyone who resisted B00ts sale.

I just had a laugh when I got a mail from Amazon that I will get back €0.54 or something likely that I was charged too much when ordering something before Christmas. Well than, take care of the pennies and and the pounds will look after themselves.

I haven't felt so reluctant to open my purse for a long time. I had a 10% off for a departement store and I knew that I will need some yarn soon for my charity knitting. So I thought that would be a good way of getting it a bit cheaper. I almost had to force myself to go into the shop, but then I told me that it makes much more sense to get it now while the offer is still on than in a week or two and pay full price.
    So I got 8 balls of yarn (which in theory aren't for me) and a bottle of my foundation as this is about the only thing cosmeticswise where I don't have a stock to last me for pretty much half of the year (shampoo til summer, face cream til May or so, toothpaste til autumn and shower gel til doomsday...)

Groceries round tomorrow. Can't think of anything besides groceries that I'll need in the next week or two. So far I've spent about as much as I would normally spend for a week for 10 or 11 days worth of food.

GQ, 27 minutes of adds? That is insane!
    I went to the cinema on Friday. We were running very late anyway, couldn't find a parking space in the cinemas carpark, so ended up parking quite a bit of a walk away. We arrived there 15 minutes too late and just in time for the start of the movie.
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been of line for a few days and she I last came n here I think it was at about 50 or so pages. Its going to take forever to catch up.

I have really taken this to heart so far as I have hardly spent a penny. I'm looking at each part of life and seeing where cuts can be made and alternatives can be found. I even planted a tub of peas in the bathroom mainly because the little one decided it was his pea planting time. It will be interesting to see what happens.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure