PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

NOT BUYING IT! 2015 - A consumer holiday

Options

Comments

• natnat13
    natnat13 Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening shipmates

Tis a tab breezy tonight, think my house may blow away!!

Glad you're feeling a bit better Islandmaid.

I've had a good day today, NSD and got lots done.

I have thought of a mini challenge for myself, my large waitrose shop that is coming on Sunday, I am going to try and sell stuff to pay for it to make it neutral. Got some gold and other bits to ebay or put on arsebook selling sites. £87 to raise!
    Mum to 2 DSs, dog mum, wife full-time worker.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
  • pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening everyone

After reading the last few pages I think I must be odd...I've never shopped in Boots never mind looked in their sales :o only time I've gone in is if my normal chemist didn't have my tablets in but no longer on medication so no need now.

I've done a lot of thinking since Xmas about my current financial position and life in general and have decided to make a serious attempt at retiring early.

I'll be 41 in two weeks time and I want to retire by time I'm 55 at the latest, it depresses and scares me slightly me that I'm supposed to work until I'm 67...my dad died 2 years ago and he was only 72, if history was to repeat itself that would leave me 5 years to do everything I wanted to do. Bit extreme thinking I know but no-one knows the cards we will be dealt.

So in keeping with this thread I won't be buying unless it's a must...if I'm careful with money I can repay unsecured debts by August this year, i think that's a good place to start. :)
  • Liliyanna
    Options
    I've finally caught up with the posts :j

Well it's been a manic set of shifts so far on this end, worked over everyday - including 3.5 hours on my birthday :mad:

At least that means I didn't over indulge I suppose, to be fair I could barely keep my head up while eating my tea so going out celebrating was out of the question :rotfl: To be honest I think my OH was more disappointed than I was, I just wanted my bed. It's not just the number on the card telling me I'm getting older :o

When I think of our majestic ship I always think of us as a 1920's cruise liner, all the ladies immaculately dressed in amazing hats and gloves and all very sociable. Lots of drinking tea in the salon's and taking the air on deck :cool:

So far this year we're on budget and in the black, that said we've only got £12.71 left in the account so it may be a bit of a challenge to get to pay day....oh how I love a challenge!!

I had lots to say but after catching up on the posts I've worn myself out, going to head off to bed. Got my last shift tomorrow and I think I'll probably sleep through all my days off :o

Hope all my shipmates are in good form and I'll catch you all on the lido deck for a little shuffleboard later if your up for it ;)

Lily x x
    LBM = Jan 1st 2013 - £42,000 owed DFD = Christmas Eve 2014 :D:D
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another NSD for me. Since Christmas I have only bought essential groceries; some choc croissants as a treat for kids; fish and chip supper; one cup of tea in caf! meeting friends, MOT fee (no work needed); small amount of petrol once; 2 newspapers and a pair of trainers reduced to £7 as old ones fell apart. Its sounds a lot typing it out but actually its good for me as I have avoided the sales completely and have bought nothing I didn't really need or want for last 3 weeks. Today I trimmed my hair again so it's now over 2 years since I visited the hairdressers, actually might be over 3 years, I've lost track.
  • savingqueen
    savingqueen Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The picture I have in my head is of a big, wooden boat, - no idea what type but definitely sturdy and well maintained. The crew are cheerful, industrious and practical but also take ample time out to relax on the deck and admire the view. Further out to sea are many little boats, rowing boats, dinghies etc and they only have a handful of people in each but are laden down with too many impractical items, not provisions or equipment needed for the journey but all manner of furniture, trunks of clothes and valuables, electrical gadgets etc. Every time a big wave rises, they are hanging on to their stuff and sometimes objects fall into the water and they argue with each other. Some boats try and reach our big ship. I am waving furiously and there my image ends. I hope the people in the little boats see sense and come and join us. I probably sound bonkers but it makes sense to me!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I see this ship as a tall ship, Onedian line We all have our lives and needs and wants but we all have a common goal, think before buying

I'm sat here right now feeling STARVED. How anyone manages a diet that doesn't need chewing I don't know. I'm ready to rip my own teeth out and eat a loaf of bread lol.

Seriously I would like to eat a meal that's not like warm and doesn't need chewing

However dinner was a success :) even mother enjoyed and said she would eat again. I've gone through the fridge and have a pork chop to use up and the shredding from the Sunday roast carcass so it looks like sweet and sour
    Pork with chicken fried rice for dinner tomorrow ( if only I could eat it lol )

Tomorrow I need a veg shop. Fingers crossed hubby will behave and allow me to decide what gets bought. He is getting better. After spending 8 years living apart I guess he was used to spending to make him feel better or to punch in the time. He's now getting wise to the fact I can actually cook and no matter what the illustration looks like, processed food is CARP. I'm looking at no more then a 30 quid spend for 3 adults for a week

I'm also looking to have a few vegie meals that the whole family will like, eat, and not feel hard done by. Any websites, books, gratefully received thank you. For those two it's got to look like a couple of dishes,you know a main and a couple of sides. Myself I'm happy with a bowl of pasta. Oil and breadcrumbs cooked in garlic

Glad it's not just me who has turned their nose up at the b00ts sale. And the N3xt sale. Last N3 xt sale I wmt to was back in 2004. Got up at 4' we were the last couple in on opening , got a coat ( still wear) and came hone to the news of the tsunami. Sine then I've never seen a thing in the next sale. Perhaps that collided to when they opened their outlets and got a new brand name for the cheap rubbish that they sell ?

Anyway I'm for bed. Working the next couple of days so maybe won't posting, but will be lurking
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all,

Up late hugging tissues.....:o

Blaming NatNat for this one.... (Only teasing ;))

After Natnat saying about Waitr@se I had a gander online - not my usual shop as a fare distance from me and too many lushious temptations but online its so much simpler - half price offers - brill:D

4 x whole chickens
    4 x packs pork chops
    3 x boned lamb legs (400g)
    3 x steak packs
    2 x bags frozen white fish fillets
    1 x 3kg bag posh dry cat food
    2 x large cereal
    4 x 10 sliced ham

These were amonst the Special offer bits I bought, as well as a load of basics like tampons, shampoo, cat food etc that I would normally buy - this was my checkout.

Item Total: £164.34
    Savings: -£61.58
    myWaitrose Savings: -£-0.00
    Promotion Code: -£15.00
    Estimated total*: £87.76
    Total £87.76

Now I know that that is alot of dosh in a supermarket, when I should be turning my back, but this little lot will last a month if not more for meat etc so with my predicted savings for Jan (£75) I was going to start a 'second purse', but have started a storeroom instead - just fresh to buy in Feb....... Gets delivered 27th Jan as last day of these offers

Looks like I,ll be keeping the chest freezer a while longer :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I gave up the B00ts sale years ago. I used to buy lots of the following Christmases gifts but then found out toiletries and smellies go off. The first year I went I did get some real bargains in other things beside smellies after that it just got worse and their Christmas stuff just got over priced. you just do not really save anything. As for next when they sold decent clothes everything just drowned me, I am only 4ft 9in. Now Primarni looks better quality. I have never bought anything in there.

Not been to any sales my one thing I probably should not have bought is two little JCB vehicles for my DGS as I wont be able to give them to him until July as posting stuff to Saudi Arabia only gets them stolen.

Suki I thought the ship on the beginning of the Onedin Line but But I think Slowdown's description was nearer. Lilyanna I love your ship but the prize for the most appropriate description has to to SQ that's absolutely brilliant.

Missed you Parsniphead thought you were missing longer than a few days.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    GQ, 27 minutes of adds? That is insane!
    I went to the cinema on Friday. We were running very late anyway, couldn't find a parking space in the cinemas carpark, so ended up parking quite a bit of a walk away. We arrived there 15 minutes too late and just in time for the start of the movie.
    :( Yeah, I hustled across town to get there in time for the advertised 2.20 pm start and checked the actual start time of the movie on my cheap-n-cheerful light up Casi0 watch and it was 2.47 pm. Bearing in mind the movie didn't finish until 5pm and I'm a wumman of a certain age, I was desperate for the bathroom - most of us movie-goers trooped straight in there after leaving the auditorioum. So dispespectful to charge people to watch blinking adverts, and to take irreplacable time out of their lives.

Of course, I was so entranced by the cinema-sized adverts, I went out and bought several new cars immediately.........:rotfl:

I've always found cinema minions very cagey about the adverts whenever I've tried asking when a film actually starts, as opposed to when the adverts and trailers start. Either they don't know or they're exorted not to tell. I'd consider 5-10 mins more than enough, nearly 30 mins is taking the p.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pm2326 wrote: »

I've done a lot of thinking since Xmas about my current financial position and life in general and have decided to make a serious attempt at retiring early.

I'll be 41 in two weeks time and I want to retire by time I'm 55 at the latest, it depresses and scares me slightly me that I'm supposed to work until I'm 67...my dad died 2 years ago and he was only 72, if history was to repeat itself that would leave me 5 years to do everything I wanted to do. Bit extreme thinking I know but no-one knows the cards we will be dealt.

I took early retirement at age 60 last April and haven't regretted it once. My dad died at 64, he never got to retire even when the retirement age was lower, and I was determined that this wouldn't happen to me!

Funny thing was, people at work thought it really odd that I should want to retire - even though for women just a couple of years older than me, retirement at 60 had been the norm. It is funny how quickly people get themselves into a mindset. Just before I left, one of my colleagues of a roughly similar age thought it a good idea to take on a new mortgage for a holiday flat :eek: And almost everyone else had to have expensive holidays every year, often more than once. No wonder they couldn't understand my mindset! Glad there are like minded people on these boards!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure