How many different vegs with Christmas Dinner?

Comments

• melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    nearlyrich wrote: »
    We do roast potatoes and parsnips carrots, green beans broccoli cauliflower sprouts maybe cabbage boiled potatoes.. never have to throw any away and the 4 tier on hob steamer comes in handy as does the hostess trolley which probably only gets used at Christmas.

I will confess to cheating re the boiled spuds. A large tin of Tesco new potatoes will be rinsed thoroughly, and drained, then put in a dish with sea salt and real KERRYGOLD butter and into the oven for ten or so minutes. Topped with parsley and a bit more butter. YUM. and the leftovers are great in a Spanish Tortilla. MSE or what!

There is just so much veg here!
  • melanzana
    Hoipolloi wrote: »
    Sweet potato mash and ordinary potato mash, roast parsnips, carrots, peas, roast potato, sprouts, braised red cabbage and broccoli.

Served with onion gravy and the main components of meat/vegetarian alternative and yorkshire puds.

That is TEN dishes of veg including spuds. OMG.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Roasties; mash potatoe; brocoli; green beans and cauli
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • melanzana
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Roasties; mash potatoe; brocoli; green beans and cauli

An enjoyable and sensible mix there!
  • We find roast potatoes, carrots, sprouts and roast parsnips is plenty when served alongside everything else.

I'm stunned by some of the menus as I don't know where people put all that food, I wouldn't be able to move for a week after a starter, 27 different veg with the main, Yorkshire puddings and 3 different desserts. Even my hollow boys couldn't eat all that in one sitting.
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • deely
    deely Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    we have quite a few......
    broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, petit pois, mushy peas, Brussels, sweetcorn, roast pots, mash pots with swede, boiled pots, green beans, roast parsnips, cabbage.

for dinner almost every day I have 4 veg (carrots, cauli, broc and petit pois) so C'mas needs to be EXTRA special!!!
  • Adults will have roast tatties, parsnips, brussel sprouts and maybe some carrots.
    Kids will have mashed tatties, except for eldest who could eat buckets of brussel sprouts :eek: and carrots.
    Hoping to get away with good old prawn cocktail for a starter so a wee bit of salad and tomatoes with that.
  • Potatoes (roast and mashed)...Parsnips...Carrots...Onions....Garlic (roasted whole)....Sweet Potato...BNS...Mushrooms....Red Cabbage....Sprouts

So I make that 10 different veggies....may add one or two more nearer the day!

(the carrots, parsnips, onions, garlic, mushrooms, sweet potato and bns will all be cooked in the same roasting pan...we love our Christmas roasted-root-veg-mix)
  • I've no idea how many veg, or what types, we will be eating on Christmas Day. We go to my sister's house :). She enjoys cooking, and I don't. She would rather stay at home, whereas I don't mind driving. I pick up Mum as well, and my sister's MIL lives with them, so along with the kids, it's a full house. There is always plenty of food.

Personally I love a bubble and squeak made up of leftover mash and veg the next day. I do this throughout the year whenever we have a roast dinner. My mum law at cooks extra when doing a roast, so that she can make bubble and squeak the next day.
  • We will be having, roast potatoes, mashed potato and Swede, carrots, roast parsnips, cauliflower, sprouts and roasted shallots yum can't wait!
    Also am I the only one who doesn't put it in serving bowls on the table to let everyone help themselves? I plate it all up for everyone to save on the dishes xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure