PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Scots weather forums getting a wee bit excited about Mon/Tues esp up north, and the mountain forecast is turning snowy. YeeHooo lol

Your Scots weather forums Mar? Are they Scots only forums or forums from Scotland that look at UK wide?

Any use to me at all?
  • the_cake
    the_cake Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    Could I please put in a little reminder that something hi-viz in the car is so useful if you break down and have to walk - or if you have to try and flag down some assistance? Anything will help - ideally a full jacket, but a tabard or even an armband will let motorists see you more quickly and could make all the difference to your safety.
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    Your Scots weather forums Mar? Are they Scots only forums or forums from Scotland that look at UK wide?

Any use to me at all?

You beat me too it Fuddle I was going to ask the same question:D

Polly
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Ooh a new thread - I might join, rather than lurk.

We have one window - the dining room - which is just vertical blinds and can be a very cold spot - there is nowhere to hang a curtain but I do keep pondering what to do. it is double glazed but still can be brisk if you are sat there. It is a wide span for a sprung pole in the recess with anything but the flimsiest curtain, I'd rather like a window quilt in there but i can't think how to carry the weight. :-/

if you have a recess can you add recess cups and put a proper pole in? I've got mine variously from screwfix for little ones and dunelm for big wooden ones - or is the recess all part of the double glazing?

getting over 5 days of being hit by a viral truck, severe cold/or flu - no way to tell the difference without a test, but have been sleeping 16+ hours per day and dreaming I'd fallen out of a tree and broken all my bones! anyway - full store cupboards have been a godsend, but I'll have to restock substantially now..

I'd love some snow,
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    OK brand new thread, many ruffled feathers and lots of misinterpretings of posts, so let's draw a line under it all, post if you want to, read if you want to or don't post and don't read, it's really a choice thing and no one will force anyone either way. It will be sad if we do lose participants but we're all adults and are capable of making up our own minds as to whether we stay or go. Let's all take a deep breath and go on from here in a better spirit?

BRAND NEW START TO A BRAND NEW THREAD STARTING AGAIN HERE?

OK Pooky there is a lovely Weinachts Markt in Aachen which is just on the german border and there is a Lindt chocolate factory there too with a seconds sales outlet!!! If you want the best though it has to be Berlin and there are many markets all over and around the city all of which are worth a visit as they all have a slightly different aspect. In Nurenburg they even have a Weinachts Markt with a live nativity which people visit from a great distance around, beautiful place Nurenburg mostly medieval buildings, so very pretty. Easyjet fly into Schoenefeld in Berlin and the station is beside the airport to get you into the centre, very easy. You can buy a 72 hour transport pass from a machine at the airport which gives you access to all the zones with the markets in, couldn't be easier.
    I love the place so much but do be aware that you can get snowed in, we did last time we went and were stuck for 3 days ( Easyjet were very generous and payed for the hotel and gave us a very adequate meals allowance too) and we weren't sure we'd actually get home for christmas but we did, just. I'm so looking forward to being there again this year!!!

This morning DD2 and I went to a local garden centre with that Zebra child and he woke up just as we were in the christmas section and sat in his buggy wide eyed and amazed as we walked past all the decorations and lights twinkling, his little face was a picture and then......... we went out to where the real trees were and they had real live REINDEER!!!!! his little face was a picture and the reindeer were very tame and came across, put their noses through the bars level with him and nuzzled his feet, oh my, it really doesn't get better than that, it's a picture I'll never forget, his little smile was golden and he crowed with utter delight, amazing!!!
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that Mrs LW - I shall keep a note of those and have a look for deals next year.

Cake - Thanks for the reminder - I have high viz in our car but DD1 needs one in hers, I shall have a rummage in the drawer and see if there's another one. I also forgot we have some of those foil space blankets knocking around somewhere, I shall dig them out and put them in too.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bit confused:o Can you just start a new Christmas thread in the middle of another thread? Sounds lovely at that garden centre though. Forgive me if I've got it wrong, not been posting that long:)
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not a NEW thread, but a fresh start on the OLD new thread??? seemed like it might be a good idea to draw a line under some ill feelings and think happy thoughts??? Hope I've not done anything not allowed, good intentions were all I had!
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OOPS! I am blonde and easily confused:rotfl:
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bless you petal!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories