PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Beautiful ravens the best thing to do is layer up your bodies. Get your summer vests out and add different layers until you feel comfortable. I've been known to wear a rather fetching blanket wrapped around my body (arms free to do housework). Ack with washing the blankets. They'll be fine. Use what you have and stay here. I think many of us have been where you are this season. I certainly have.

Have you hot water bottles or rice packs that you can heat in the microwave?
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    These are great for those who work from home or are AT home most of the day. I have one they are brilliant. Saves putting the heat on all day. So cozy and inexpensive to run also.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cosy-Heated-Cape-Heat-Settings/dp/B003N2AKHU
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Important in these circumstances to keep the extremities of your body warm, I.e. head, hands and feet. This makes a huge difference to feelings of comfort /discomfort. Wear a woollen hat and scarf indoors, fingerless gloves wherever housework permits and warm long socks or leggings. Many charity shops will have containers of cheap wooden hats, gloves etc. It doesn,t matter what you look like. It’s how you feel that’s important and avoiding hypothermia is vital.
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I noticed an AA power pack on offer in Sainsbugs petrol station this evening - £50
    (I lifted a leaflet to scan but can't find it)
    They'e on Amaz0n - £100!

AA Portable Jump Starter - With 8000 mAh power bank (exact wording for the search)

Sound almost too good to be true, possibly not worth £100 but probably worth a punt at £50,if only for phone / tablet charging

(Provided you remember to keep them charged)
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dropped right to 2°c here overnight. Glad I'd put DS in a sleep suit with feet and his little bedroom heater on.

Due to clock change we've been up since 5.30am so we're both in our dressing gowns.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    That's the padded inner zipped into my waterproof as it was -1 last night. Glorious sun right now but the temp is still sat at 1 degree.

Owner thing that will be constantly on right now is my scarf. For those of us with asthma and respiratory issues it's a good idea to warm the air we breathe (and it's my defence for sharing air with the great snotty unwashed) :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We're so lucky! 'bingley bong' went the doorbell and there was one of our neighbours saying we've just cut down a cherry tree, would you be interested in the logs? Oh YES PLEASE!!!
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    How very lucky I love the smell of cherry wood I keep my mother's prunings for Christmas day to start the fire with.
    Beautiful day in Cornwall still in double figures as usual, will get the grass cut and keep hoping it's the last cut of the year but doubtful as summer raspberries and bedding plants still going strong
    Logs are in that hurt the wallet as we usually season our own but didn't bother with plans not to be here this winter.
    Dug the room divider curtains out thrown across the washing line for an airing.
    This will have to be the frugalist of winter as we have so much planned for the new house to make it more passive and more self sufficient and insanely that doesn't come cheap but we should reap the rewards in retirement, or we can't retire :)
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Didn't go above 10°c here today. Been in a proper jumper all day even with pregnancy body heat!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    We were stuck on 6C Lucy, and this morning it was 1C - quite a shock to the system!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback