PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• beautiful_ravens
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    Beautiful ravens the best thing to do is layer up your bodies. Get your summer vests out and add different layers until you feel comfortable. I've been known to wear a rather fetching blanket wrapped around my body (arms free to do housework). Ack with washing the blankets. They'll be fine. Use what you have and stay here. I think many of us have been where you are this season. I certainly have.

Have you hot water bottles or rice packs that you can heat in the microwave?

Thanks x Im applying for a job that I hope I will get , that would make things so much easier.
    I will have to wash the blankets, they might have mould on and I cant have that on my skin. I should do it this week as its not due to rain.
    I guess I will have to dig out the hot water bottles!
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,180 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been using hot water bottles for a few weeks but have upgraded to two. Mind you, I realised this morning I'd left the windows on the night vent and we had a frost.

Making the most of the fire, as it'll be taken out sometime next week. I'm currently packing up downstairs in preparation for the builders. I have no idea why they never manage to come when it's likely to be warm and dry - I can't put furniture in the garage at this time of year as a. it's full of garden stuff and b. it's damp.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    'bingley bong went the doorbell' has made me smile for hours.
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks x Im applying for a job that I hope I will get , that would make things so much easier.
    I will have to wash the blankets, they might have mould on and I cant have that on my skin. I should do it this week as its not due to rain.
    I guess I will have to dig out the hot water bottles!
    I have mentioned it before on this thread but have you considered cellular blankets? I have quite a collection now as I snaffle them up if I see them in charity shops. They are light, warm and easily washed and dried if necessary. Useful for extra layers on the bed or as throws. (I find the light acrylic ones better than the cotton ones for quick drying)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Really need to pester DH to ensure he's got all the winter bits he needs. Check the car, get in antifreeze and find the scraper etc.

DsS has a proper warm coat at his mum's, new Karrimor trainer/boots etc but i think he's lacking gloves.

I've sorted DS out already. He's got a lovely Matalan coat that was only £1 second-hand, wellies and winter boots, mittens.... debating need for a hat what with his coat hood, it's got nice thick lining.

I'm good except for decent new knee high style boots. I'm also a bit !!!!!!ed for maternity jeans... The ones from last time are too big and keep falling down over my bum and hips :eek: hopefully Xmas gifts will allow me to buy some more?
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • rachel6188
    Options
    Lucy what size are you? X
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rachel6188 wrote: »
    Lucy what size are you? X

I was an 18 in normal clothes but even the size 16 maternity jeans are baggy right now. I lost weight through my last pregnancy overall and out seems to be going the same way this time. My weight has stayed the same for the 16 weeks of the pregnancy.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Slightly warmer here this morning at 6 degrees C, looks like being cooler again by the end of the week and we're lighting the stove every evening now. I was surprised at how quickly it chilled down last night when I was answering the door for the Trick or Treaters some of them were just wearing the 'costume' in some cases a thin 'onesie' and shivering like leaves poor little thing but I guess they were having fun and it's only one day a year. So November is here and just 7 weeks to Christmas, there seems to be some suggestion that this winter is going to be much colder than we've had for the past five years and possibly some snow too, we have to wait and see but a cold winter would be rather nice wouldn't it?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The only reason I like a cold winter is as a gardener when it kills off some of the bugs. Slugs however, seem to survive, however low the temperature drops ! The clouds of whitefly still on my curly kale plants are amazing. Nothing seems to shift them!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    whitefly Grhhh. I don`t grow kale because of them and my purple sprouting are also covered with them

I am in process of sorting some winter hobbies that don`t take up much room. Trouble is that I am in tune with my bodyclock and if I have candles on in the dark evenings, I soon nod off and want my bed far too early. So far, limited knitting as it makes me sleep, spinning and radio is fine for limited time as I need joint preservation, just realised I have needle felting equipment handy. Oh dear, I think I have hedgehog hibernation genes. I get so sleepy for winter, the very opposite to summer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback