PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• Thriftkitten
    Thriftkitten Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    Options
    I am of Cornish stock and I have been keeping an eye on the Through the Gaps web cam....
    currently watching waves bash the sides of Jubilee Pool !

Bit breezy up in Berkshire - glorious sunshine but was torrential rain earlier this morning.

errands to run this morning then hopefully in for the rest of the day - food cupboard stocktake & packing for a few days away in Plymouth!

One of my favourite webcams... I like to watch the hubby sail out and seeing as I'm not allowed to see him off from the pier in person ( bad luck n all) I like to see him steam off and also get excited watching him come back in after a week or so miles off with no contact....Not sure if you have the AIS marine traffic app, I use it to keep an eye on the other half and can see from their boat speed when they are on the way home...Also it gives wind speed and colours to explain the wind... we are on pinks and reds today which isn't the best, hubby says storm force 10, hence why he is home with his feet up...
    Seems to be worsening here, I was up and out cleaning the holiday cottages early and done with both by early afternoon... now shattered after fighting the wind walking uphill home, unfortunately the wind wasn't behind me...
    Have lost our American Post box which was on a post/stump thing...snapped completely and Microwave's gone bang today, yesterday I dropped my mobile and Bu**ered the screen so I'm hoping thats my lot as far as 'comes in 3's' All in all not very frugal as going to have to shell out for repairs and a new microwave:eek:
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Never mind Thiftkitten. Your OH is safely tucked up at home out of the storm where you don't have to worry about his safety, and that's the main thing ! Electrical items can be replaced. Husbands can't!
  • Thriftkitten
    Thriftkitten Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    Options
    I hope you haven't all been blown away.... Surely someone other than me must have a wind update:j
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Looking at the pictures, we got off very lightly compared to further north, for us personally the Thursday night into Friday was a lot worse in mid Cornwall, Brian was not much more than normal Windy Autumn weather in Cornwall.
  • dingdongsaving
    Options
    Dogs walked, leaves raked and a swap from my usual pot of coffee and porridge to a small pot of Earl G. tea :coffee: and bran flakes with lots of sultanas added. My son even said "cereal?" as we all sat down for breakfast and he saw my choice. I must be feeling rebellious today. :rotfl:
  • Austin_Allegro
    Options
    I finally caved in and turned the central heating on today!

I had been hoping to hold out until November, but I work from home, and was sitting at my desk with a blanket round me, feeling very cold and damp. So the heating's on low for a few hours now, just to take the chill off.

I've put up a nice Laura Ashley style heavy door curtain (£5 from car boot sale, curtain rail free from my sister who was having a clearout) and have bought foil to put behind the radiators. I'll also be getting some Wilko blankets to insulate my curtains next time I'm in town.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • LadyhavershamLost
    Options
    Just returned from a few days away in Devon. Popped the heating on as the house felt cold and damp - was on about 40 mins before the kids all started moaning they were too warm! No complaints from me about turning it off.

While away I complied list of boring but important jobs, made HUGE shopping list - with sub divisions - essential/useful/wanted/treats etc.

now for the washing......
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Hard frost up here this morning, husband had to scrape the car. He moaned like hell :)
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    I prepped for winter by finally getting round to sewing some blackout fabric onto my bedroom curtains, bought back in the summer when I actually needed it. It took AGES as curtains are deceptively large, and I am laughably bad at sewing. Still, I suppose the extra layer will help keep the heat from escaping through the large window.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    Completely unprepared - no stock of wood, no stock of coal, only about 200L of oil left, summer curtains still up, fleecy & furry blankets all need washing, no coats bought for anyone, no food store cupboard, no spare money.. Not sure what I will do this year, things are very tight and warmth/heating is going to be difficult if it decides to actully be cold.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure