PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have the pellet stove on for two sessions just now. 3 hours am and 2 pm until bedtime. I am keeping the house core temperature at a good level so that there is reserve in the fabric of the house. We have tiny rads in the bedrooms and the one in ours is on full at the moment and maintaining 19.2 degrees, which will cool when the stove is off. The living area is a nice constant 21

I decided to wear a nice heavy full length skirt today and I am finding it so much more comfortable and warmer than trousers.

Made a cake and a lovely pan of soup as well as a lamb and roots stew, so nice food today and tomorrow. I think I will soak the split peas and get the hock out of the freezer tonight. I feel a pea and ham soup in the offing. Amazing how the appetite changes with the season
  • greywitch
    greywitch Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2014 at 9:31PM
    Options
    greenbee what is a thermal bag is it like a haybox? where do u get them?
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,242 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    greywitch wrote: »
    greenbee what is a thermal bag is it like a haybox? where do u get them?

Like a haybox but squashy :)

You can make your own or buy one. (I bought mine)

It's particularly brilliant for cooking chickpeas - leave them in overnight and they are perfect in the morning! Most successful way I have ever cooked them.
  • twiglet98
    Options
    craigywv wrote: »
    I use a bamboo cane to stick into the oil tank as have had all the gadgets in the past and none as effective . Then put cane up agaist outside of tank and mark with crayon, i can monitor how much in inches i use, works for me xxx

Thanks for the tip, marking the outside of the tank is a brilliant idea. I have marked the cane now I've had 500 litres delivered and have made a mental note to dip it on the first of every month.

The boiler man came to clear the airlock and restart the boiler but says this may well be its last winter before the heat exchanger failsl. It's 28 years old so I can't complain, but neither can I afford to replace it so fingers crossed it will plod on for a long while yet.
  • rufydoofyM
    Options
    Well it looks like the Met Office is finally forecasting the cold weather that was warned of by others some weeks back. We've most things covered and I just need to do one more online supermarket shop and everything will be in for Christmas. For the last few years I've avoided the shops as much as I can in December as I can't stand the crowds and consumerism, so much more relaxed by the time Dec 25th arrives:)

Part of winter prepping for me is baking so we have lots of nice things in the freezer or cupboard to have with a hot drink or just to lift our spirits on a dull or bad day. This weekend I made 2 large chocolate cakes and my first fruit cake. Today I'm making ginger cake with the stem ginger I found in the back of the cupboard from last January. I'd forgotten I'd brought so much, but it was reduced to clear from the gift section and has whisky in:D Then I need to make more chocolate cake since OH will have finished the first one by Tuesday! (or today unless I can hide some) The sooner I get things portioned and frozen the better or they disappear. Will also be making a large tray of millionaire shortbread and some cookies. Then it will be on to the cheese scones, savoury pasties and pies whilst I have the energy. Health ups and down cause me to make the most of my current energy levels before they plummet so whatever the weather we should have lots of yummy things to eat to see us through with minimum effort once I'm done this week. So long as I can keep OH from consuming them before they reach the freezer that is.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I've got snow but not a lot of it, yet. Wed is to be hellish here.
  • Frugal_Dreamer
    Options
    rufydoofyM wrote: »
    Well it looks like the Met Office is finally forecasting the cold weather that was warned of by others some weeks back.

We are not allowed to talk about this as it upsets some people.

It's easy to predict cold weather this time of the year. It's winter. The Met Office are more accurate and don't make wild guesses with huge % variability that 'others' do. Besides it's hardly unusually cold. It's just typical winter weather.

I'm still waiting for the worst winter in a century to happen that 'others' predicted months ago. Scaremongering and done to get headlines.
  • Crochet_Teapot
    Options
    We are not allowed to talk about this as it upsets some people.

It's easy to predict cold weather this time of the year. It's winter. The Met Office are more accurate and don't make wild guesses with huge % variability that 'others' do. Besides it's hardly unusually cold. It's just typical winter weather.

I'm still waiting for the worst winter in a century to happen that 'others' predicted months ago. Scaremongering and done to get headlines.

We could be getting some bad gales later this week, but it's not been unusually cold here yet. As I'm well prepared for bad weather, a few days notice is enough for me.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some people just don't know when to stop do they? :(

I am beginning to run the freezer half down ready for all the Christmas bits! I have also booked my xmas food shop to be delivered on 22nd... Luckily I booked that one as then I forgot for a few days and all the closer slots had gone! :eek: I cannot bear the crowds in supermarkets at Xmas so what doesn't come in the delivery and can't be found in the coop up the road, won't be got!

It has turned very chilly here but been beautifully sunny - my favourite kind of winter weather (apart from snow of course!)

All time off work over the festive period has been booked and childcare sorted for the days I am in.

The next week will be spent doing my spring clean (hopeless I am, it didn't get done in spring, or summer, or autumn!) and then I will be all set for Christmas!

Hope everyone is keeping warm and snuggly :(
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I've got snow but not a lot of it, yet. Wed is to be hellish here.
    Same here, we're expecting the boat to be off the latter half of this week. We have snow and hail showers - very windy and cold too. Just getting dinner in the dutch oven as wondering if power will go off in winds.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure