PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• candlelight_2013
    Options
    It really should be cooled slightly after boiling, or put a drop of cold water in first. I was always told this, I am not sure if it is because the rubber might perish with always having boiling water in it, or just in case it leaks and burns someone.

Candlelightx
  • Thriftkitten
    Thriftkitten Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    Options
    So... has anyone got any of the white stuff to report? I'm currently at work in our quaint little fudge shop in St Ives, not so sunny Cornwall and have been watching my live webcam of St Petersburgh in Russia... Boy they are having plenty, its been non stop for about a week now, it's so glorious to watch everyone squirrelling homeor digging their cars out and wrapped up so warm...
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Oh wow TK, could you give me a ink for that webcam? I'd love to see Russia in winter. And I never put boiling water into a HWB either, always thought it perished the rubber - but then nowadays they probly aren't made of rubber so I dunno. LOL!
  • Thriftkitten
    Thriftkitten Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    Options
    Be warned Mardatha, its very addictive and sooooooo many to choose from this is what i click on and save to book marks, theres hundreds of cams aand have been watching for years at this time of year for my snow fix.
    http://www.cactus.tv/cam1/
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Righto thanks for that me dears! I shall endevour to cool the water a little before filling my Walter hota bottle on Friday. Hubby does 'nights' on Fridays and our bed can get a bit nippy without the added human .
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Freezing overnight and not above 5°c all day here, south Hertfordshire, only just above the M25....
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • herbily
    herbily Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 November 2016 at 5:59PM
    Options
    On Radio 4, they said you know it's winter when the A939 is closed:
    http://www.highland-news.co.uk/Travel-and-Transport/A939-!!!!-bridge-Tomintoul-Snow-Gate-Closure-0-4603057.xnf

Guess it's winter then ...

Edited to add that the filters don't like the mention of a male hen before the word "bridge" - people who live in that part of Scotland will know where I mean!
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    no snow here yet, but loving TK's snow cam. We have snow forecast, and it's certainly cold enough. Keeping everything crossed!!!
    Culpepper we call our hot water bottles walter hottle bottles - we did when I was a kid in Yorkshire - any ideas why????? I don't know anyone else who does??
  • Littlefrugalcottage
    Options
    culpepper wrote: »
    Does anyone use a hot water bottle? I've just bought some and hubby says don't use boiling water in them..but I can remember mum filling them from the just boiled kettle...Is there a reason not to?

I've always used hot water straight from the kettle, but I do have handknitted covers over all mine. The reason normally for not doing this is so you don't get burned if it leaks but I've never had one go on me so I'm happy to continue doing what I'm doing :)
    Little Frugal Cottage x
    SealedPotChallenge 2017 No.573 :j Grocery Challenge - £250/£250 left to spend £250
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Herblily is that Cockbridge to Tomintoul closed already?? ooooo :D
    I am waiting and lamp post watching....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business