PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    It's not much but it's still falling, very fine like sand. Have turned the whole house upside down looking for the damn YakTrax and canny find them. He needs them to take the hot ash up the back garden.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 November 2016 at 10:35AM
    Options
    Its bitter out and I never put my vest on this morning as it was blazing in, that is some parky wind. I just put my whirly washing line thingie under cover and stretched out a long line, washing dries so much quicker on a line. A couple of days ago I also covered my benches. There is an orchard behind me and for some reason they didn`t get the (cider) apples picked this year. What a blooming waste, the landowner should quickly offer them to the yokels (I mean local villagers). There are thousands of apples on the ground after the wind last night

I have got paranoid after THAT winter of 2010, so have been buying fuel pellets and have stashed 1/3 of a tonne indoors and I am going to keep them topped up a few bags at a time, as I use them. Only me to shift them and much better to have them close at hand with no risk of me slipping or getting soaked

Enjoy the newly fallen snow up north, nothing like the peaceful calm that descends with snow :D
  • jim-jim
    jim-jim Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Weather up-date for north derbyshire

well it has been steadily falling, really fine, with a sudden burst of big fat lumpy drops ......... of rain:rotfl:

Best bit about it, bbc weather is still showing heaving snow up until 12:00

I know what you mean Kittie about 2010, it snow here in November and didnt shift. My horses were in a field and it was 4' deep with the first lot of snow.

x
  • Cafekate
    Cafekate Posts: 91 Forumite
    edited 9 November 2016 at 11:25AM
    Options
    Wow Jim Jam you must be higher up than me. Here in Leek Staffordshire we've not got any, where as lots of white stuff according to the Flashbar webcam . So some pupils may not be in school today. Bit disappointing as still freezing .

Keep safe and warm.
  • jim-jim
    jim-jim Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    I wish we had some snow, not this manky wet rain.
    It's the stuff that soaks you.

I'm on the other side of derbyshire, out heading towards the crooked spire.

x
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I still don't know which forecaster to go with! Neither of them were accurate. We did get the snow but hours later than we should have and my son who lives ten miles away was predicted heavy snow for ten hours solid and he got very very little at all.

I think next time I will use the 'stick your head out the front door' method of weather forecasting. It will be more accurate by far. If only I could stop myself getting excited at the prospect of snow!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • herbily
    herbily Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Herblily is that Cockbridge to Tomintoul closed already?? ooooo :D
    I am waiting and lamp post watching....
    Yes, that's the one - well done for managing to get the name past the censors!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Culpepper we call our hot water bottles walter hottle bottles - we did when I was a kid in Yorkshire - any ideas why????? I don't know anyone else who does??

Yes I do, when I was small we would read playhour comic and one of the characters was a little hot water bottle with a stripey body ,hands and feet at the corners and a face with a little hat. That was his name and he took his human on adventures every night when they slept.
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Really interesting Culpepper thank you.
    No snow at all here, just rain and cold - really disappointed
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jim-jim wrote: »
    I wish we had some snow, not this manky wet rain.
    It's the stuff that soaks you.

I'm on the other side of derbyshire, out heading towards the crooked spire.

x

Do you mind jim-jim, you go in to home town,not out toward's it, you do that to see his lordship at Chatsworth.
    £71.93/ £180.00
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure