PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• jim-jim
    jim-jim Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Oh bagger, one's been rumbled. It's the big house you know, I have to cut the heating costs somehow. Mse all the way :T (posh accent)

actually I'm a dee-daa, an inport from yorkshire :rotfl:
    if your a local you'll know what I mean

x
  • Thriftkitten
    Options
    boultdj wrote: »
    Do you mind jim-jim, you go in to home town,not out toward's it, you do that to see his lordship at Chatsworth.

Ahh fond memories of Chatsworth, my Dd1 (now 18) used to cry all the way home from from a day out there..... " I miss Bahhh Bahhhh" She'd still be blubberring when we reached home in Derby...Her dad and I were in pain trying to hold our giggles in... She had found a black sheep amongst the many and really fell in love, all week she would mention this sheep and we would have to go up again so she could spot it (one of many I'm sure) and we'd tell her.... "See Bahh Bahh's just fine"..... When I think of the fuel expense in those days to check on that D*mn sheep it makes me shudder...:rotfl: Oh and I remember being so proud of a peony plant that I purchased there and the thing never survived for very long... cost me a small fortune too...
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jim-jim wrote: »
    Oh bagger, one's been rumbled. It's the big house you know, I have to cut the heating costs somehow. Mse all the way :T (posh accent)

actually I'm a dee-daa, an inport from yorkshire :rotfl:
    if your a local you'll know what I mean

x

:eek:Not another one from the steel city! Yes I'm local, born & bred 7th generation for mum's side of the family, she found a sailor from Evesham so not 100% Derbyshire.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • Very wet, cold and bleak here today so I've been houseworking to keep warm (and because it needed to be done), we'll have some nice home made hot soup for lunch and this afternoon there are many rugby matches to watch on the TV which will also help to keep us warm, jumping up and down with excitement or despair as the game dictates. We're lighting the wood stove a little earlier in these autumn afternoons usually as it starts to get dark but we've not been tempted to use the central heating we rather add an extra layer and have a hot drink. I know that it's starting to be winter though because, great excitement, the Alpine Ski Programmes are back on the TV woohoo!!!
  • jim-jim
    jim-jim Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not liking this weather at the moment, is very strange. 16 degrees yesterday while I was Christmas shopping. It's the middle of November :eek:

Anyhow I was reading the local paper on-line The Derbyshire Times, and came across this
    http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/is-derbyshire-about-to-have-its-coldest-and-snowiest-winter-in-years-1-8237584

I hope the link works, not quite sure how to do it.

I remember that the snow in 2010 was not forcasted to the amount we got. As I have mentioned before the first lot of snow left 4ft overnight, and it carried on. The village we live in looked like a scene from the film 'Day after Tomorrow'

x
    Ps I might be from the steel city but my kids are born & bred Derbyshire and I wouldn't go back there to live x
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Scottish weather forum saying an intense cold spell coming and lots of snow for the north west. Scotland that is, not Carlisle lol.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 November 2016 at 11:02PM
    Options
    culpepper wrote: »
    Does anyone use a hot water bottle? I've just bought some and hubby says don't use boiling water in them..but I can remember mum filling them from the just boiled kettle...Is there a reason not to?
    I can't let this one go unanswered.

The metal hot water bottles need to be topped up completely, so that you see a little dome of water on the top, with boiling water, and then closed immediately. As the water cools, it will shrink and create a vacuum, and this will seal the bottle properly.

The rubber hot water bottles (or rather, bags) should be filled with non-boiling water, as boiling water will make the rubber deteriorate.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The link worked,JimJim, and having just come back from having to visit steel city, I don't blame you for wanting to stay in the relitive calm of Derbyshire, the road work's over the shire border are a hightmare!

I was in a small farming village with my leg in pot in 2010, and the snow was that deep it buryed the cars and we could just see the top of the van on the car park.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I mind one year a neighbour decided to dig out his car to go out, found a silver car roof and started digging... to find it wasn't his car at all but somebody further up the road. Who didn't want to go out at all. He had to start again, checking all the white humps in the road :D:D
  • LadyhavershamLost
    Options
    I am at home with 2 poorly children - sun streaming through the windows - which are wide open!
    def doesn't feel like mid-November in Berkshire!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback