in Phones & TV
255 replies 44K views

Replies

• fuzzgun19fuzzgun19 Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    AndyPK wrote: »
    From receiving the letter. I think there is a date at the bottom of the letter. 31 Jan rings a bell.

Dial 150 from your landline and be polite.
    Thanks again. I called VM and chose the 'I want to leave' option.
    The lady I spoke to said I was already on a good deal so couldn't really do anything, but after she put me on hold she came back and said they'd credit my account with £50 to cover the price rise for 12 ish months.

Better than nothing.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • AndyPK wrote: »
    Were you still under contract or not ?

Had you paid the line rental at the time the deal was done? or was that part of it ?

just out of contract by a couple of weeks

yes paid for line rental saver when i arranged the new deal.
  • edited 9 January 2015 at 1:48PM
    darkcloudidarkcloudi Forumite
    541 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 9 January 2015 at 1:48PM
    Just called them today and originally cost me:
    150 mins to 0845 number, Mobile and International Calls
    Talk XL
    50Mb Broadband
    TV M (Tivo 500MB)
    £33 (Was going to go up to £43.64 when I lose my discount and price increase from next month (Feb 2015))

I now have:
    250 mins to 0845 calls (lost the mobile calls and international calls as didn't make use of these)
    Talk XL
    50Mb Broadband
    TV M (Tivo 500MB)
    Paying £38.99 for first 6 months then £43.99 (without line rental advance)

Also Netflix 6 months free

I decided to pay line rental in advance as signed up for another 12 months. So paid £144 in advance so my new monthly payments are:
    £23 a month for 6 months then £28

Also got the SuperHub 2AC thrown in for £10

Hope this helps someone else :)
  • latecomerlatecomer Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds very similar to our package and the new price after the increase. We have

Phone XL
    BB M (currently 30Mb but going to 50Mb)
    TV M wth Tivo
    Multi-talk 150 (0845/0870 + mobiles)

New price is going to be approx £46/m

Similar package at sky is £42/m including Variety TV package with has Kids TV. Including incentives and cashback its significantly cheaper including the £30 setup fee. Downside is ADSL rather than Fibre but then we dont have a lot use a lot of high bandwidth usage on virgin - only BBC Iplayer and its pretty dire at times via Virgin.

I am looking for a price around the £30 again including line rental otherwise we're going to Sky.
  • darkcloudidarkcloudi Forumite
    541 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    latecomer wrote: »
    Sounds very similar to our package and the new price after the increase. We have

Phone XL
    BB M (currently 30Mb but going to 50Mb)
    TV M wth Tivo
    Multi-talk 150 (0845/0870 + mobiles)

Got the same package as you but been upgraded to 50Mb already :) Forgot what the 150 mins was called, you get international calls to certain destinations with that. I don't usually account for the 0870 number in MultiTalk as we get that free as standard as part of Phone XL package we're both on
    latecomer wrote: »
    New price is going to be approx £46/m

Similar package at sky is £42/m including Variety TV package with has Kids TV. Including incentives and cashback its significantly cheaper including the £30 setup fee. Downside is ADSL rather than Fibre but then we dont have a lot use a lot of high bandwidth usage on virgin - only BBC Iplayer and its pretty dire at times via Virgin.

I am looking for a price around the £30 again including line rental otherwise we're going to Sky.

I was shopping around and couldn't find anything around the £30 mark, just like you wanted to be in the same pricing bracket. BT had something equivalent you suggesting with Fibre for £42.49 but you also got £100 voucher for Sainsburys.

However with VirginMedia and the line rental advance which works out at £144 / 12 = £12 monthly. Its costing me £35 a month for 6 months then £40. This was the closest I can get to the £30 mark.
  • latecomerlatecomer Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was considering BT as they had £210 cashback and a £75 gift card but we dont have an aerial and hence I'd need to sort one out or get one installed to be able to get TV channels. The BT monthly package was around £43 but if the cashback tracked etc would have been effectively around £20.

I am using £30 as a base figure as thats what I've paid over the last 3 years or so including line rental. Always managed to get it for this so thats what I'm aiming for. The one thing that virgin cant give me is the kids channels as thats on TV XL and I've never managed to get even a remotely agreeable price for including that.

I realise its the anytime calls thats killing us but then OH works part time and does use the landline so its worth the premium - just makes it a lot harder to get a great all round package!
  • DustykittenDustykitten Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My virgin prepaid line rental runs until 28.3.14
    Bill we go up by £2.99 for Feb and March with increase.

Can pay £144 now for another year line rental (running from 28th) but have to pay by 1.2.14 according to the letter. Do you think they would still offer a deal if I give notice at the end of February? Don't want to miss out on the line rental deal but don't feel in a strong position to negotiate now as I don't want to give notice and loose a month's prepaid rental.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • edited 10 January 2015 at 11:53AM
    waliowalio Forumite
    10 Posts
    edited 10 January 2015 at 11:53AM
    walio wrote: »
    <...>

Anyway today is exactly two weeks as I called, so we called back and said we'll take the offer, but they couldn't offer it anymore, no more sky sports and movies, although before that they told it's valid for two weeks.
    Well if they can't offer what they promised then I can't stay with them, told them consider this call as cancellation request then.<...>.

£48/month is a bit steep for what we were getting.
    So on Friday the 2nd, told them to cancel it.
    Retentions lady called quite early morning on Monday the 5th, so less than 3 full days later or just next business day. She asked me why we decided to leave and I just started with my arguments: Sky can offer half price to virgin leavers, BT infinity can offer good deals, quidco/topcashback cashback etc, Sainsbury's vouchers with BT, so basically told her that it works out very cheap to sign up with alternative providers.
    She understood that I did my homework and immediately offered the same package that we're on, 12 month contract at 28.99 + negotiated her to throw in the new AC superhub. That's for M TV package, weekend calls and line rental (don't need it anyway) + 50 meg broadband.
    I confirmed on the phone with her 3 or 4 times the deal and that the price is 28.99.
    Got a letter on Friday "thanks for renewing contract"... blah blah blah, the price shows £30.99 - not what I agreed to.
    It i still better than if we were to stay at £48/month, but it is not what we negotiated - £28.99, so will phone again to argue or might actually email.

DO NOT ACCEPT what you're being offered by inbound retentions team, they can't offer anything good, wait for outbound to call you back and make sure you answer the phone even if the number is unknown to you.
    THEY WILL CALL YOU BACK, so just tell you want to cancel and wait! Even if they don't phone back (doubt it) you could phone back few days before your disconnection date and ask to postpone cancellation for another month.
  • DustykittenDustykitten Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ScoobyZ wrote: »
    I called them today.

I'm paying £20 (Feb Rise to £24)

Basic Weekend Calls .Line Rental (paid in advance)
    M+ TV
    50MB Broadband.

Best they could do was £16 off for remaining 4 months of my 12 month deal negotiated last year reverting back to £20. Then £24 from June.

I asked if they could do a new deal for the leaflet that they posted through my door and they wouldn't. Definite change in attitude to when I called last year.

Have put in notice to cancel and will see if they call me back.

Did they call you back? You have the same 'deal' as me and same price increase apart from my LR runs out at the end of March.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • edited 10 January 2015 at 12:09PM
    AndyPKAndyPK Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 January 2015 at 12:09PM
    Fair play to sky for offering these deals to VM customers. Genius :p
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid pass scam robbed grandfather of £25k

He got his money back after MSE intervened