🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!

Options

Comments

• Eager_Elephant
    Options
    I agree that the rewards for surveys are not great but if you have no other way of increasing income then it is better than nothing.

I have about 10-15 survey sites that I use. Some pay more than others. I just do a few each evening (not a few from each site, a few across all the ones that invite me) and they usually pay out every 3 months - I'm sure it could be a lot more if I actually did all the surveys.

At the moment I am concentrating on YouGov which pays out at £50. It usually takes me a few years to get to pay out but I am doing every survey they send and am doing really well. This was also helped by a win of 2000 points. I should get to payout in Feb, last payout was August.

If you want to see quick results then MySurvey (UK site of Globaltestmarket) pays out at 500 points which is £3 in Paypal or Amazon vouchers.
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just popping in to wish you a happy new year. I really hope you get yourself debt free this year. Good luck with it.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • trix-a-belle
    trix-a-belle Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I spoke to Mr Lucky last night about keeping some sort of feelings diary, and although it took a while to convince him, I think he's going to try. He's worried he will forget, or if he's having a particularly bad day (ie the days we really need to know about!), he won't be able to do it. He tried to think about his whole day at 10pm last night and got nowhere, so was quite dismissive of the idea immediately, but I pointed out that it was to be done as he went along rather than trying to remember later on. We will see how he gets on.

:j
    As SA says they are all stubborn lol. He could put what hes eaten, done during the day & things that people have told him in there too. (I realise the last could help his mind to stick to information or frustrate him when he forgets it later :o )
    Maybe the boys could do them as well to show its not just a girly thing.
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
  • cazzyd
    cazzyd Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    :j
    As SA says they are all stubborn lol. He could put what hes eaten, done during the day & things that people have told him in there too. (I realise the last could help his mind to stick to information or frustrate him when he forgets it later :o )
    Maybe the boys could do them as well to show its not just a girly thing.

Just popping in to add the diary idea thing works well if you right it down almost straight away, like a stream of conciousness. I went through a phase of going to bed and waking up at stupid oclock in the morning and not being able to get back to sleep, so I wrote everything down, it reads back a bit silly now, but at the time it helped and after about 2 or 3 weeks I was able to sleep straight through. It's not as girly as you might think either, for example, I teach so keeping a diary is a good way of remembering all the things that happen through the day, especially in EYFS, as it helps me for assessment purposes. I really hope Mr Lucky sees it through, perhaps for the first little while you could do something joint, and then he'll have an idea of what he needs to or wants to record.
    Lose 1st 7lb

Starting weight 11st 8lb weigh in every two weeks from 12th January

Operation Save for House Current Savings Total £550.00
  • liltdiddylilt
    Options
    Ooh Cazzy you teach EYFS? Jellytot is 2 and on the EYFS learning at nursery. I am a bit confused with the way they are teaching her letters as I was lead to believe it was all lowercase phonics stuff (alphablocks!) and then she comes home and points out a capital E, and says it as a capital... 'is for Ellie' - she doesn't seem to be picking things up as well, and I need to figure out how I should be teaching at home in order to help her learn at nursery too! I come from a family of early readers and fast learners and she is no different so really needs to be pushed a lot harder than the other kids in her age group so I am told. Any idea how letters are taught?!

Lucky - think the diary is a great idea. I am having to keep a pain diary and it is very helpful to me, and I am one of those people who very much struggles to write things down in any kind of log on paper!

I also think the boys keeping one too would be a good idea!! Thinking of when they say things like you never do anything with them and never buy them anything they want for instance ;)

Hugs to all xx
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • cazzyd
    cazzyd Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooh Cazzy you teach EYFS? Jellytot is 2 and on the EYFS learning at nursery. I am a bit confused with the way they are teaching her letters as I was lead to believe it was all lowercase phonics stuff (alphablocks!) and then she comes home and points out a capital E, and says it as a capital... 'is for Ellie' - she doesn't seem to be picking things up as well, and I need to figure out how I should be teaching at home in order to help her learn at nursery too! I come from a family of early readers and fast learners and she is no different so really needs to be pushed a lot harder than the other kids in her age group so I am told. Any idea how letters are taught?!

Sorry to take away from your thread PLMBL...

I am a little confused as to why nursery are attempting to touch on letter names at 2 (sorry :() as we don't even teach letter names until children are secure with sounds (till they are towards the end of reception Year, and that is IF they are ready. I taught top phonics group in Reception last year, and we only touched on letter names (ABCD etc) at the end of the summer term, and there were eight in my group.) At my school we teach a scheme called Read Write Inc. which teaches pure sounds (there are some videos on you tube as to how you pronounce them. )

However at this young age, the main things I would suggest you do are recognising brands (e.g. coca cola, cadbury's) any logo she comes across, this is an early reading target (30-50 mths). Read regularly and share picture books, discuss the pictures and ask simple questions or give simple directions e.g. point to the Gruffalo. Read stories with repeated refrain (e.g. run, run as fast as you can, you can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread man, that way jellytot can join in with you..and 'read' with you too) Sing Nursery rhymes with her.

In terms of anything number related, I normally encourage parents to count everyday things, e.g. counting the steps up to the top of the stairs (just orally) and another thing you could count sweets, or sandwich quarters. etc. but any oral counting is good.

Hope this helps and sorry once again PLMBL
    Lose 1st 7lb

Starting weight 11st 8lb weigh in every two weeks from 12th January

Operation Save for House Current Savings Total £550.00
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Quick note re DH's diary - it might be easier for him to make voice / video recordings than write stuff down.

Would a smart 'phone work? ..Record through the day as thoughts occur, then transfer onto a memory stick each evening?

Good opportunity for boosting short-term memory, if you and DH watch and discuss the clips he's made while they're being transferred, Lucky. ;)
  • liltdiddylilt
    liltdiddylilt Posts: 4,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Yes, sorry Lucky!!

Cazzy, sorry but Jelly is doing 90% of what you have said already. She was counting to 10 and recognised each of those numbers at 18 months. She now counts to 20 and recognises those numbers too. For a long time she didn't want to look at letters, but then alphablocks took her fancy and she has come on in leaps and bounds recognising letters and sounds... but then my confusion arose when her nursery teacher said 'we've been learning E' today mummy... and Jelly proceeded to pick up the capital E and pronounce it... Now I am lost in a limbo as I too thought that lowercase and letter sounds were what we should be aiming for.

She has a 'bedtime' book which names all of the actions people are doing during the day and can pick out a lot of 'words' matching them to pictures so I will just continue this!!

Thanks again Cazzy!! And sorry Lucky, bit of a random takeover!!! xx
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    You lot can take over all you like!! DS2 is in reception so it's all stuff I'm dealing with too. We are using lower case sounds and learning to read at the moment, exciting stuff!

I don't think Mr Lucky feels the diary is girlie, he just doesn't think he is up to the task. I shall prompt and prompt until he does it though, through whatever means he feels is best. I suggested it in a 'wouldn't it be helpful if we both made a diary that we could show the Epilepsy nurse when we see her and rule out any triggers' sort of way, which he is on board with, so it will happen as long as I push it.

Quick update tonight as I'm off to bed. Had a nice but freezing cold day at Beamish. Took MiL for the first time but she brought her dog which meant I spent a lot of time standing outside buildings while she, DH and the boys went in to look. On the upside, she paid for lunch so all it cost me was £5 for the skating rink. Had a lovely bubble bath to warm up when we got back and I even painted my nails afterwards as a bit of a pamper. Get me!! La-di-dah Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • liltdiddylilt
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely day Lucky... although not so much the standing out in the cold with the dog.. that isn't very fair now is it! Yay for only costing £5 though!! You do get some bargainous days out!!

Bless DS2. My friends little boy is in reception and he is finding it exhausting. Does DS2 nap when he gets home? As Jelly gets 2yo funding, they have to start the EYFS to prove they are giving us the governments moneys worth, hence starting early with all this, but she loves it and would rather play the shape/colour matching games/read some words or count than watch tv! She rarely sits still so the hard task is getting her to concentrate and sit down for things like a tv programme so I can have 2 minutes peace!

Sleep tight you yummy mummy!! Hope your bath was not shared ;) xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure