The journey to financial independence.

Options

Comments

• ourcornercottage
    Options
    good to see you back CT!

Will try to have a read through your updates later :)
  • Cream_Tea
    Cream_Tea Posts: 427 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    The house went on the market today. Viewing will start from Saturday. I also started shopping around for better loan and found one with h!tach! Which knocks a year and 3 months off our current loan and is £2 less a month.

I'm getting back to my money saving obsessions and it feels good.

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    Cream_Tea wrote: »
    The house went on the market today. Viewing will start from Saturday. I also started shopping around for better loan and found one with h!tach! Which knocks a year and 3 months off our current loan and is £2 less a month.

I'm getting back to my money saving obsessions and it feels good.

CT

Good to hear it!

Are you looking to move far/add much to your mortgage?
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    edited 26 January 2016 at 10:50AM
    Options
    Slightly annoyed today, we have taken out a cheaper loan to pay off the higher interest rate loan and when I've gone to check DH credit score it has negatively effected from a high rating good to fair because we have taken out two within 6 months. Very annoying timing on our part as we are planning to move although if it takes 5 months one of those will be out of the 6 months bracket they asses.

In better news I've been told today that I will inherit about £10,000 from one of my grandparents passing last month at the grand old age of 98! Hubby thinks clear debt so we are not paying interest which is very sensible but we have always wanted to have a buy to let property once we had bought our forever home and by the time we were 40 so it was paid by the time we are 65 and ready to help us retire. I think this money would be a great jump start for us.

Simple calculation we did the other week was £200,000 deposit would £50,000 BTL stamp duty as of 04/2016 would be £7,500 total £57,500 saved over 8 years is £599 a month or with the £10,000 it would be £495 a month so probably still unrealistic but closer!

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Options
    Hi Ourcornercottage, we plan to move to one of the neighbouring areas. A little more expensive but nicer. Hopefully not adding too much to the mortgage as we already have the size house we want so we only increasing the mortgage by the cost of a nicer area.

We had an offer on our house. It was £20,000 under asking price so we politely declined at this time. We haven't heard anything more but fingers crossed we get something sooner than later. I'm not very patient!

A friend has given me a car seat so with the cot, pram, Moses basket and new born clothes plus nappies all given to me From friends and family I think we are nearly sorted for babies arrival. Just need isofix type base for car and sheets, muslin clothes, changing bag and mat. I think! Although I'm sure here is much more. We've only bought a cot mattress and baby monitor so far and I feel like there must be more to do/buy but the moving house has put all those sort of thoughts on the back burner.

CT

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Options
    Another mortgage payment gone out bringing our equity up and making money more comfortable for the move!

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Options
    £180 dent made in the debt this week. Quick calculation shows if we continue at the rate we are and don't overpay anything we will have it all paid off in 29 months. I'm hoping sooner obviously.

We dropped the house price by £10,000. We decided that since we are having two or three viewings every couple of days and only one offer possibly the estate agent was optimistic. Since we want to move and don't want to have the house sit on the market for months we would drop it. Hopefully this works. The estate agent seemed pleased with the decision.

CT

Updated 06/05/18
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Good luck with the house sale, just read your diary as your username caught my eye. I love a good cream tea :)
  • Cream_Tea
    Options
    Thank you EatingtheElephant. I love cream tea too! Shame it isn't good for you.

This week we have knocked £130 off the debt. No update on the house. Except that our estate agents are very smarmy and I now dread answering the phone to talk to them so avoid them and get DH to call back.

Our savings stand at £950 so nice little nest before baby is here. I talked with payroll at work and have requested my maternity is spread equally rather than decreasing each month. I'm hoping this will help us keep money on track better and even possible be able to save a little. Who knows!?

CT

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    edited 21 February 2016 at 12:17AM
    Options
    Been house hunting today and found the most perfect house. It ticks all my boxes. It needs lots of work as it's very dated but that doesn't put us off because we aim for our next house to be one we are in for years and we want to hopefully be able to make improvements. DH made me laugh the other day talking to friends his criteria for a house is 1) run down/dated and 2) water tight. It's a short list! :rotfl:

We are going to have a think do some calculations and hopefully on Monday put on offer in. We need to make sure we can move in with some cash spare to start home improvements straight away because we don't want to find ourselves in the same situation as this house where it took us years to get money together to do everything and only got it finished before we were starting to talk about moving!

Trying to stock the freezer in anticipation for baby coming so made a big batch of meatballs which is always a winner with DH and some homemade pork and apple patties (I think that is basically American for burgers. If it isn't then I am stumped as to what is the difference between a pattie and a burger!)

CT

Updated 06/05/18
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family