The journey to financial independence.

Options

Comments

• Cream_Tea
    Cream_Tea Posts: 427 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Mortgage day! £963 knocked off the mortgage today bringing us to £153,041. More money transferred to the savings.

I worked out a little while ago that DH and I have £xxxx worth of 'commitments' this year which includes the CC, extension, holidays, other home renovations (plastering other rooms, painting, carpeting). I started looking at it like this in March and set a weekly savings goal of £350 which is realistic whether DH is working nights or just basic. We are currently ahead of schedule (£65!:rotfl:) it's only a little bit over the last month there has been one thing after another birthdays, car insurance, etc. so I'm quite pleased we are ahead at all.

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    Well done cream tea :] amazing wont be long youll be in the 140s wooooooooo :]
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Good news re reduced hours! :) Hope you get a start date soon x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Firegirl
    Firegirl Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I work compressed hours and I love it!!!! Still desperate for that lottery win though. Well done for your OP!!!!
    Mortgage balance Feb 2015 start of MFW Journey-£245316.06/Aim to be mortgage neutral 2022 — Target for May 2024 14 Year Target Balance MF50 = £89,535 — Mortgage Balance £106, 000—Target for May 2024! £89,535

Retirement Planning
    Starting Position : Pension 1-£165,000/Pension 2-£50,000/Pension 3-£9,500/ISA-£87,000/Total-£311,500
  • hevabear
    hevabear Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I've just started reading your thread. Re life insurance are you aware that NHS staff's terms and conditions provide a hefty payout for any death in service - I think it's 3x's the annual salary. Maybe you want higher cover but it's worth considering this if u want to cut down on expenditure. :dance:
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Thank you Hevabear. I didn't know that. I will have to look into it.

I've paid another chunk off the CC. We are going great guns saving for everything else going on this year. Nearly have the outstanding balance of our holidays this year saved for and in a few weeks we should have the spending money sorted.

We seem to have cracked it with not wasting so much money. It turns out all we needed to do was both go on a diet and now we barely spend a penny outside the house. I've joined WW and DH is just eating what I do but larger portions. For the first week in a long time we have money left over before DHs Friday pay day.

Sadly have a foot long dent complete with a blue paint stripe down my car this week from reversing into DH car (when he was parked and in it :undecided) this has started the should we upgrade the car conversation which pops it's head up every now and again. I'm happy to hold off until emergency fund is complete and we've paid off everything we have committed to this year. DH would like to do it sooner and get on finance. The conversations continues.

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49

Updated 06/05/18
  • ourcornercottage
    ourcornercottage Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    Options
    Cream_Tea wrote: »

this has started the should we upgrade the car conversation which pops it's head up every now and again. I'm happy to hold off until emergency fund is complete and we've paid off everything we have committed to this year. DH would like to do it sooner and get on finance. The conversations continues.

CT

Like he's going to win that conversation!
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    edited 22 May 2015 at 8:59AM
    Options
    I've been a little bit quiet the last few weeks due to very busy work/home life. I've joined WW because all the weight I'd lost since Christmas I put back on so thought I need someone to help me. I've got a fertility appt up at the hospital next month so thought I need to shift some weight sooner than later. In 2 weeks I've lost 6.5lbs so great headway only 20lbs to go and I'd be the weight I was when I met DH.

We are on track with my savings plan which includes:
    Extension - saving complete
    CC1 - paid off
    holiday (x2)
    holiday spending money (x2),
    CC2,
    DH OD,
    Emergency fund.

We should be clear of all of this by October and if we continue as we are it should be even earlier! I know I am someone who loves figures and stats (hence my signature) and so I get a great pleasure updating my crude spreadsheet I have on my phone each week. I'm off today and I've woken up earlier and DH hasn't transferred his weekly wages (or part of them) to the joint account so I feel lost! I have no money to play with!

I hope everyone is well.

CT

Updated 06/05/18
  • Cream_Tea
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Life is very busy at the moment so a quick update as I feel like I've been neglecting my MFW diary. Since I last posted we have saved up enough money ready to pay off both our holidays later in the year when the deadline comes and saved the spending money for them so that's a weight off now. Now we are starting / getting back to the emergency fund and we continue to slowly chip away at the CC. We are not in a rush to shift that though as it's 0% until September 2015.

A few months down the line and I am converted to L!dl. My weekly spend hasn't gone over £40 and when you're feeding a 6'5" husband / eating machine that is not far off a miracle.

Off the MFW subject another 2.5lbs weight lose bringing me to 9lbs just another 17.5lbs to go!

I've a lovely weekend planned which will involve some baking tomorrow morning with my goddaughter, walk with my sister and takeaway with the besties tomorrow night. DH is away on a stag do so it's girls only this weekend.

I hope everyone is well.

CT

Updated 06/05/18
  • ourcornercottage
    ourcornercottage Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    Options
    I just can't believe how well you are doing, well done you!

I'm hoping to get on a bit of a run like this soon, to hit some targets/milestones as its really motivating. My individual targets are s bit of a way off but like you I will probably hit in one go as I'm chipping away every month.

Sounds like you have lots of fun things planned, that's what it's all about a mix of fun and MSE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure