Heads up, compers! In order to investigate a technical issue, we've had to move some of the older threads from Game Over into a new category called 'Game Over Archives'. It'll be comps from before 2017, so shouldn't have too much impact on your day-to-day Forum experience. Thanks for your patience!

Spam

Replies

• TowserTowser Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    weeowens I shall keep on going then and follow my instincts if something is not right. I do trust this site was just a bit puzzled by the world I have entered into.

Yes dedicated comping email address
  • weeowensweeowens Forumite
    82K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Towser wrote: »
    weeowens I shall keep on going then and follow my instincts if something is not right. I do trust this site was just a bit puzzled by the world I have entered into.

Yes dedicated comping email address
    Have you thought about leaving the "spinning things" alone as the odds of winning are very low.

There are lots more to keep you busy.Just that I get a feeling that you are doing something on there that is increasing you emails/spam compared to mine.

As I said I never play such as the "spinning things".
  • JessicAhhJessicAhh Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Towser wrote: »
    Everything I touch on here seems to have an email bouncing back asking me to do stuff.

Can you give an example of a comp you enter, and then get spam from, including info about who the sender is of the email? That might help us to help you figure out where it's coming from.
  • LornaJaykayLornaJaykay Forumite
    566 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    Marg2k8 wrote: »
    Do you mean the sprinkle.com competitions that I have been posting lately?

If so, does anyone else think they are dodgy? I have been entering them myself and have not noticed any increase in spammy emails since I started entering them. I have seen quite a few winners posting on the IWIWIW thread, but if more experienced compers know better than me, then I will stop posting them.

Ditto - I haven't noticed any increase in "spammy emails" since doing these comps - and I just had a WEM this morning to say I've won a coffee machine so am very happy at the moment :D

I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one
  • The other sites such as Loquax just look to spammy
    Can't alter your perception - but I can tell you that the comping side is on a forum (like MSE), ran by users (like MSE) and has the same philosophy in terms of comps from those listed in post 2. No data is sold and over the years we've always tried to be decent towards compers in terms of respecting what we send to them via our newsletter and list on our site.

The fundamentals of using the site are the same as here - you choose what you click to and what you enter.

Unfortunately not everyone shares our taste in site design ;)

In terms of the spam issue - just be careful what you're entering - a decent comp shouldn't ask for multiple boxes to be ticked, want to know all your details etc. Look at closing dates too - long ones scream marketing offers. And check their terms - you can sometimes find out about a comp by seeing who the promoter is.

Jason
  • skinnylegsskinnylegs Forumite
    123 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    "Spinning things"
    Nectar is doing a "Thanks a Million" (win points) where you have 3 spins on a one-armed bandit machine daily. So far i have won 20 points!
    WOO! HOO!
  • teffersteffers Forumite
    698 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ALL competitions are there to generate £s or information.
    Most are legitimate and will heed any privacy requests, lots of them won't.

My partner enters them and her phone, email and mobile gets buried in !!!!!.

I'd suggest using a specific email and phone for competitions, to use your main contact details is very near crazy.
  • Sprinkle_CompsSprinkle_Comps Has MSE’s permission to post for company Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    24 Posts
    Hello All

This is Rich from Sprinkle.com

The law is very strict in the UK and we would get massive fines for shady tactics but above all we value your personal details and your membership.

I know a some of the competition websites use questionable tactics, but we are up front and always will be. If your email or details are going to be passed on in any way we will make this very clear and you don't have to do this to enter a competition, just to get extra points.

For us it's very simple, it's the law and it's the right thing to do :-)

Thanks

Rich
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Sprinkle. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • JessicAhhJessicAhh Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    jdsaint wrote: »
    The fundamentals of using the site are the same as here - you choose what you click to and what you enter.

Unfortunately not everyone shares our taste in site design ;)

And who, in their right mind, would consider a cute duck to be spammy? :eek: :rotfl:

Seriously, though, I think you take your choice about what comps to enter: if getting lots of spam, it will be the comper's 'fault', not this (or any other) forum's. I do, though, love the idea of MSE banning every one of us that posts a dubious competition: there probably wouldn't be a board left, as most of us differ in opinion over what's a spammy competition, and what isn't!

As Jason said, be wary of long dates, and prizes that sound too good to be true or something that 'everyone' would be happy with, e.g. cash, vouchers, laptops, cars...
    If it sounds too good to be true, ask in Compers' Chat before entering, or only enter if it's a well known company (e.g. The Guardian / Heart etc).

MSE is never going to 100% protect you from spam, if you enter every competition. Most of us accept that, and don't enter any comp we are vaguely suspicious of - if we think it's very dubious, we'll add a note on the thread.

Ways to minimise the risks...
    1) Don't enter anything until it's been on the board for an hour or so, to give enough regulars the chance to look and comment (or until it's got lots of 'thanks' from regular members);
    2) Read the posts carefully: some will alert you to avoid other comps on the same page;
    3) Don't enter anything posted by a brand new user;
    4) If you're suspicious, ask questions on the thread, or here in chat. We're mostly pretty approachable :cool:

I've been thinking about the OP mentioning MyOffers and MintedMobi... it definitely sounds like those competitions above the main ITV ones, which we're told to scroll past in the post that links to them?
  • Potential Investments Ltd i.e Sprinkle

This business supports "spam advertising" .

AVOID AVOID AVOID
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals