Spam

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    gholmes724 wrote: »
    I don't know why that Sparkle site isn't on the list to me it screams dodgy.

Where is it?
  • Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't know why that Sparkle site isn't on the list to me it screams dodgy.

Do you mean the sprinkle.com competitions that I have been posting lately?

If so, does anyone else think they are dodgy? I have been entering them myself and have not noticed any increase in spammy emails since I started entering them. I have seen quite a few winners posting on the IWIWIW thread, but if more experienced compers know better than me, then I will stop posting them.
  • Yes that's the one, just a gut feeling which is why I haven't pursued it.
  • Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes that's the one, just a gut feeling which is why I haven't pursued it.

Well, we can each make our own choices about what to enter and what not to. If several other experienced compers come forward and say they think the same, I will stop posting them, but otherwise, I will carry on and leave people to decide for themselves.
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Marg2k8 wrote: »
    Do you mean the sprinkle.com competitions that I have been posting lately?

If so, does anyone else think they are dodgy? I have been entering them myself and have not noticed any increase in spammy emails since I started entering them. I have seen quite a few winners posting on the IWIWIW thread, but if more experienced compers know better than me, then I will stop posting them.

I don't think they're dodgy at all. Like yourself I've seen plenty of winners on IWIWIW and I haven't had any spam from them either. Please keep posting! :)
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I don't think Sprinkle.com is dodgy. I received an email today to tell me I have won an Articulate game from their site. :)

Thanks Marg2k8 for posting. I haven't got around to posting in IWIWIW yet. :)
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,837 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I joined the site when you started posting them Marg &
    have had no problems or extra spam,

I advised Gholmes if they think a site is spammy to
    forward pm to velvetglove,
    over my years on MSE i've sent many pm's for sites
    i've sometimes been unsure of at first & for VG to
    have a look at,
    VG will always check the site out first before
    adding/not adding to the spam list & if it's not needed to be added,

i'm very happy to have you keep posting them & have seen
    lots of winners in IWIW from your postings :T
    just hope i'm lucky enough to have a winner from them
    soon :)
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    From posts made by some winners it is clear that are asked to post on here that they have won which fits with the posts for the site originally being removed for self-promotion before someone else started posting them (doesn't mean they are spammy).
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Thank-you all for your replies.

I have definitely ticked all the the I do not want information etc boxes.

Everything I touch on here seems to have an email bouncing back asking me to do stuff.

The spinning ones giving you so many gos and the ones giving you credits to enter so many times. Are they just rubbish?

As soon as I get an email asking me to do stuff in return I just park that there! Especially if they are asking for money.

The other sites such as Loquax and Pricefinder just look to spammy so I have not touched them.

As MSE is tried and tested I trust it more but surprised to have such large amount of leading you up the garden path rubbish. Or is that just my perception?

No pain no gain?
  • weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 November 2014 at 7:57PM
    Towser wrote: »
    Thank-you all for your replies.

I have definitely ticked all the the I do not want information etc boxes.

Everything I touch on here seems to have an email bouncing back asking me to do stuff.

The spinning ones giving you so many gos and the ones giving you credits to enter so many times. Are they just rubbish?

As soon as I get an email asking me to do stuff in return I just park that there! Especially if they are asking for money.

The other sites such as Loquax and Pricefinder just look to spammy so I have not touched them.

As MSE is tried and tested I trust it more but surprised to have such large amount of leading you up the garden path rubbish. Or is that just my perception?

No pain no gain?

I'm puzzled re your experience.
    I get loads of emails but view that as part of comping.
    I do not touch the daily mag comps so do not know what you mean by: The spinning ones giving you so many gos and the ones giving you credits to enter so many times. Are they just rubbish?

Maybe they are a byproduct of something that you are doing on the daily comps?

Have you set up a dedicated comping email address as mentioned in: Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs

I have never felt "lead up the garden path" via this site & have had lots of great wins via the site.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure