MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event

Options

Comments

• shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Eon one year fixed v9 is not available to new applicants ;)
    (Eon are currently on v12)

In fact V9 was withdrawn to new applicants extremely quickly after launch, and much earlier than the planned withdrawal date of 15 October 2014, as it was wrong (particularly for E7 prices in some regions) and eon were losing lots of money.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66660944&postcount=13

A fact I am well aware of but that was not the point of my posts if you go back and read them !

I originally signed up for V7 and ticked the EON box to be notified of better deals, they offered V9 so I grabbed it !
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shammyjack wrote: »
    A fact I am well aware of but that was not the point of my posts if you go back and read them !

I originally signed up for V7 and ticked the EON box to be notified of better deals, they offered V9 so I grabbed it !

Then I'm not quite sure what the point of your post is... :huh:

Any claim that this is the cheapest tariff (terms and restrictions apply, read the small print!) obviously only relates to tariffs currently available to new applicants.

If you knew you grabbed a deal that was so wrong, the supplier was embarrassingly forced to pull it extremely quickly after launch (even though it was always planned to be withdrawn a couple or three weeks later anyway) to prevent them hemorrhaging money, you don't need to consult a comparison site within 4 weeks to check it's still the best deal.
  • Roversfan
    Options
    Ok, so I put my details in, including the latest bill/DD payment from current supplier Atlantic.
    Our Gas has just gone up to £72 per month and the electric is £53
    Cheap energy club says we can save over £250 a year yet when filling the details in it says the DD from EON will be £102!!!

Not sure wether to switch now, is this just the first DD or all? does it mean just the gas or both?? (I had only put the gas MPRN in so far)

too vague...
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Then I'm not quite sure what the point of your post is... :huh:

Any claim that this is the cheapest tariff (terms and restrictions apply, read the small print!) obviously only relates to tariffs currently available to new applicants.

If you knew you grabbed a deal that was so wrong, the supplier was embarrassingly forced to pull it extremely quickly after launch (even though it was always planned to be withdrawn a couple or three weeks later anyway) to prevent them hemorrhaging money, you don't need to consult a comparison site within 4 weeks to check it's still the best deal.

I did not know I had grabbed a deal that was wrong I took what EON offered. The problem with V9 was not for single tariff electric but they got the Economy 7 rates wrong so pulled the deal and substituted V10.

The current V12 is almost identical to V9 for electric only here in Yorkshire .
  • starlights
    Options
    Is there no other payment option than monthly direct debit on the eon collective switch? I prefer to pay quarterly.
  • MegaMiniMouse
    Options
    I confess that I haven't read through the entire thread, and the point I am about to make may well have already appeared.

It seems to me that the MSE comparison schemes are not much different to all the others - you still have to consider a whole lot of variables in order to be able to make what is little more than an informed guess about what might or might not be best for your individual circumstances.

Despite all the noise last year about simplifying the energy tariff structure, the energy companies are still successfully offering a deliberately confusing array of options, backed up by dismally poor product knowledge at their call centres.

Standing charges bear no relationship to the fixed costs of the service - they vary from next to nothing to quite a significant amount. A standing charge which is always quoted as a daily figure will always appear to be cheap, but there is a huge annual difference between a couple of pence a day and 20-30 pence a day. The energy companies should be required to quote their standing charges as a monthly price, so that the customer has a meaningful figure to think about and compare. Also, like the phone companies, the companies should produce monthly bills - this would obviously depend upon producing monthly meter reads (either actual or estimated), but it would not rule out the option to sign up to a monthly payment scheme based on estimated usage.

Finally, why can't the energy companies just offer a selection of fixed length, fixed price, contracts of, say, 12, 18 or 24 months duration? Again, that's what the phone companies do, and it works. If you want to pull out of the contract, you have to pay most or all of the remaining standing charges. There is a great lack of clarity about the various durations and t&c's of the various energy price fixes, but the phone companies manage to make it all perfectly transparent.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    The tariff is available to existing Eon customers - plus you'll also be eligible for the cashback (£15 per fuel)

I think your CEC site is broke again ;)

Just checking with Eon as a current supplier of at least one supply, and the CEC says no cashback.

Also says
    This supplier won't let us help you switch to it, unfortunately you'll have to do it on your own. ...

And Eon say they can't help either as it has to be switched via the CEC.
  • moneyfoolish
    moneyfoolish Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 November 2014 at 2:12PM
    Options
    I confess that I haven't read through the entire thread, and the point I am about to make may well have already appeared.

It seems to me that the MSE comparison schemes are not much different to all the others - you still have to consider a whole lot of variables in order to be able to make what is little more than an informed guess about what might or might not be best for your individual circumstances.

Despite all the noise last year about simplifying the energy tariff structure, the energy companies are still successfully offering a deliberately confusing array of options, backed up by dismally poor product knowledge at their call centres.

Standing charges bear no relationship to the fixed costs of the service - they vary from next to nothing to quite a significant amount. A standing charge which is always quoted as a daily figure will always appear to be cheap, but there is a huge annual difference between a couple of pence a day and 20-30 pence a day. The energy companies should be required to quote their standing charges as a monthly price, so that the customer has a meaningful figure to think about and compare. Also, like the phone companies, the companies should produce monthly bills - this would obviously depend upon producing monthly meter reads (either actual or estimated), but it would not rule out the option to sign up to a monthly payment scheme based on estimated usage.

Finally, why can't the energy companies just offer a selection of fixed length, fixed price, contracts of, say, 12, 18 or 24 months duration? Again, that's what the phone companies do, and it works. If you want to pull out of the contract, you have to pay most or all of the remaining standing charges. There is a great lack of clarity about the various durations and t&c's of the various energy price fixes, but the phone companies manage to make it all perfectly transparent.
    You're absolutely correct. Oh for the days when Gas, Electricity, Telephone, Transport, etc. was all a standard fair price. Nearly 2 years ago I switched from EON to the Coop via a 1 year fixed collective from Which. At the end of that deal I switched to EDF myself and then a month ago I switched from EDF to EON via a collective deal from The Peoples Power. Now, I'm contemplating whether to switch to the MSN collective with EON and last week I received an email telling me of a Big Deal collective coming out in early November from the Sun which they say is going to be the cheapest ever! If you add all the time spent messing about doing the same thing for mobile deals, train travel, car insurance and home insurance, it's half your life wasted!
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

There is no exit penalty if you move house, so why would you need such a fine stepping? If you had joined Scottish Power in October 2014, the December 2015 fix would have been 15 months, which is nearly 18 months any way.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you add all the time spent messing about doing the same thing for mobile deals, train travel, car insurance and home insurance, it's half your life wasted!

Time is indeed money. That's why an African woman walks ten miles with a pitcher of water on her head. If she had a little money she would pay someone else to do it. If she had a lot of money she would buy a house in Nairobi with running water. If she had even more money, she would buy a £30 million flat from the Candy Brothers in London.

We waste all our lives foraging for 50p off a bag of toilet paper, because we are POOR.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure