🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event

Options

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Re: quarterly DD

npower are still cheaper. Even EON's own 1 year tariff is cheaper according to the CEC !
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 November 2014 at 8:06AM
    Options
    MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    The Big Winter Switch Event tariffs are exclusive, but we don't guarantee that they'd be cheapest for everyone.

Indeed.

I've been looking at the Warm Home Discount scheme on behalf of someone else, and am still doing so.

From my fairly beginner standpoint, I see that it has two types of users, a core group that is defined the same with all companies in the scheme, plus a broader group of other people may qualify under discretionary other terms which may vary from one company to another.

But so far it does seem that companies do have actual differences there, and the person I'm looking for presumably qualifies again with the current supplier (a surprise last year), and probably does not with E.on, though I've been rereading their info about this 3 or 4 times so far.

Also, another company points out that for this discretionary broader group the scheme is first come first served. So I've thought that switching to that company in next March risks not getting anything.

Plus some suppliers are not in the scheme at all.

So, given that potential £140 discount difference between moving and not moving is larger than the tariff differences, it looks like stay for now. But at least the move to the latest tariff with the current supplier means keep an eye on things as it has no exit penalty.
  • canterswest
    Options
    Green Star MSE collective 12 month fix tariff - Green Star is not part of the Warm Home Discount scheme, switching to this tariff you will lose entitlement to £140 payment.

As yet there is no clarity on £30 cashback which it seems is only if you have not switched through MSE during the past 12 months.

I am not surprised that MSE's E.ON tariff is only fractionally, by a miniscule decimal point, cheaper than E.ON's own Energy Fixed 1 Year v12.

The size of MSE would have put suppliers off bidding low, plus MSE's members are frequent switchers, and encouraged by MSE by frequent alerts to switch.

MSE has not said which suppliers took part in its bid. It has not said if there were cheaper tariffs with limited availability and if there were why MSE picked the tariffs it did.
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    It sounds like we're waiting for an update from Eon on this one - it normally takes around 12 weeks for this to come through (in line with when cashback is paid), during which time your account is locked with this status.

We'd need to develop some functionality around this to allow our users to manually update this - personally, I think the ideal solution would be for suppliers to provider quicker updates following a switch (we've pushed for this as part of the Big Winter Switch Event), plus introduction of faster switching at the end of this year should also help.

Well that was quick work Dan.

CEC updated this morning with my correct tariff which is now editable .

A new CEC quote now confirms my combined tariffs of ZOG Mercury 12 for Gas and EON V9 for Electric are the cheapest for my circumstances.

It pays to do your research using more than 1 site and splitting suppliers can give you the lowest total.
  • cancunia
    Options
    I saw the email last night about a better tariff from EON, but have only just today received confirmation of my switch to EDF via the Cheap Energy Club. To be honest, EDF have not done a really good job and put me on a pre-pay tariff instead of the one I applied for. They have promised to sort it out, but my confidence in them is not great.
    So, if I switch to EDF, do I get the switch benefits from EDF and the £15 cashback, or do I get just the cashback for the switch to EON?
    It's fairly clear in the FAQ that you can only get cashback once in 12 months, but not what happens in cases where you didn't get the cashback before you switch again.

Thanks
  • PLog86
    PLog86 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    I had a problem switching:

The 'form' asked for meter numbers but the meters in question did not have numbers in the format the form said they would. On both the gas and electricity meters there was only one string that could conceivably have been its identifying number - neither were 13 digits and both contained alpha characters.

These numbers appeared appeared on the respective bills so I am certain they are correct.

These meters were in a London flat and the meters for all the other flats had numbers of the same format so this must affect many people.

Interestingly, when I switched another friend the form did not even mention meter numbers.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    But the end date is provided by the calculator through the name of the tariff you choose.....

That presumably depends on the particular supplier & tariff chosen.

Some suppliers have fixed rate tariffs that eill end on a specific date no matter when they were started.

However all recent Eon one year fixed tariffs (e.g. v9, v10, v11, V12 & the MSE Collective fixed rate tariff) all end 12 months from the customer's start date, and as that will vary from customer to customer, then so the end date varies.

When I tried, it allowed me to put an end date as late as 2017 for such a 1 year fixed rate tariff.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Those days are over, thanks to Ofgem.
    Such cashback is no longer permitted direct from a supplier.

All my fantasies are in tatters.

I am still withdrawing from E.On's FixOnline 11.
    26% online discount, sweet. Sigh......
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shammyjack wrote: »
    ...A new CEC quote now confirms my combined tariffs of ZOG Mercury 12 for Gas and EON V9 for Electric are the cheapest for my circumstances....

Eon one year fixed v9 is not available to new applicants ;)
    (Eon are currently on v12)

In fact V9 was withdrawn to new applicants extremely quickly after launch, and much earlier than the planned withdrawal date of 15 October 2014, as it was wrong (particularly for E7 prices in some regions) and eon were losing lots of money.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66660944&postcount=13
  • niko86
    Options
    Not sure anyone else has received an email saying:

"Oops, the energy firm hasn't accepted your switch"

Weird thing is my current provider has no issues their end no debit owed or anything and the supplier I'm trying to change to has no record of a switch request.

Also all the details were input correctly, I'm going to give it until Monday see if it rights itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport