Options

Comments

• gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 October 2014 at 8:46PM
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    but we've had FIVE cleaners now and every single one has been the same..

I just wonder - in previous post you said cleaner should be in 10-12 so it is 2 hours per week? Of per day several times per week?

If you do not mind, how big is your house and what exactly do you expect the cleaner to do? I assume you are being realistic with your expectations of course and see the time factor info but just curious.

Mine is a regular size 2 bed flat and my cleaner comes for 3 hours per week and once a month for 5 when I want some extra things done.
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Per week. Not a large house 4 bed.

Of course, this was all agreed with cleaner in advance what would be done. And I appreciated that sometimes time runs out which is fair enough.

However, my issue is with the fact that she had been turning up for 30 mins and telling me she'd been there 2 hours and had run out of time.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    30 min instead of 2 hours is obviously a massive issue.

Perhaps time the next prospective cleaner doing the things you want done in those 2 hours for the first 2 times she comes over and take it from there?

As I said, my one comes once per week every week for 3 hours but once per month we make it 5 hours - when I want windows/nets done and some extra bits. For a 2 bed flat it is ok.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Or alternatively tell the next cleaner what you want done and ask her for a price for doing that.
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    edited 25 October 2014 at 6:38PM
    Options
    Paulfoel ..
    you have a 4 bed house and want a cleaner for 2 hours per week NOT per day?
    is this correct ?
    If so what is the cleaner expected to do in these 2 hours once a week?
    Give me a job description
    A 4 bed house, depending on the amount of people living in it and what you actually expect this cleaner to achieve to an acceptable standard, in the time you are prepared to pay for, might well be why you are having problems.
  • Johnandabby
    Options
    cavework wrote: »
    Paulfoel ..
    you have a 4 bed house and want a cleaner for 2 hours per week NOT per day?
    is this correct ?
    If so what is the cleaner expected to do in these 2 hours once a week?
    Give me a job description
    A 4 bed house, depending on the amount of people living in it and what you actually expect this cleaner to achieve to an acceptable standard, in the time you are prepared to pay for, might well be why you are having problems.

Well, we have a 4 bed house and our cleaner only works for 2 hours per week, and does it well. She does the following:
    Cleans the bathroom.
    Cleans the ensuite.
    Cleans the kitchen.
    Dusts 3 bedrooms (4th only every 2nd week), living room and dining room.
    Hoovers carpets upstairs, and mops hard floors downstairs.
    Empties rubbish bins.

As long as you're not expecting the cleaner to tidy things away, and things are relatively clear for them to work around, then 2 hrs has been fine for us for the last 8 years.
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    2 hrs per day. Seriously?

So you are telling me that people with 4 bed houses spend 2 hrs per day cleaning their own houses? I'd have said 2 hrs per week is about right.

As Johnandabby says above- this is about it.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My cleaner'so routine was similar to that of John and Abby.

When the kids had left, there was basically one bedroom to clean, so she would also do the inside of the windows,
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2014 at 9:58PM
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    2 hrs per day. Seriously?

So you are telling me that people with 4 bed houses spend 2 hrs per day cleaning their own houses? I'd have said 2 hrs per week is about right.

As Johnandabby says above- this is about it.

There are 4 bed small houses and 4 bed houses ie manor houses.
    ( these people don't clean their own houses)
    these people require laundry and ironing done, some require beds changed , , antiques that require waxing and polishing , fireplaces that require clearing out.. the list goes on.
    So based on the info you have given, your 4 bed small house could possibly be cleaned to a basic standard in 2 hours per week
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cavework wrote: »
    So based on the info you have given, your 4 bed small house could possibly be cleaned to a basic standard in 2 hours per week

This is completely irrelevant, as the issue OP is having is with the cleaner not staying and working for the 2 hour period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure