We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    pink_poppy wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: That did make me laugh Dave, the big Yorkie and the plastic 'living' wall :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

alfie, you are a superstar for rescuing that poor dog, hope it hasn't just been dumped :(

went to vets... no micro chip which is a bummer ! ive trawled every house/shop/hotel/pub in the area and still no one recognises it which makes me think its been dumped /stolen ? if it was holiday makers im sure they would have asked everywhere ive been [I would have] so sadly it will have to go "into the system tomorrow or later today :(

244v61k.jpg
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a lovely looking dog, I hope it's just lost and the owners are trying to find it, it looks very well cared for. Fingers crossed for a happy ending.
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope the wee dog finds a kind new owner if the old one doesn't show. I agree, it looks very appealing :A.... fingers crossed.

Nothing of huge interest to report here. No word on Horse Woman, but I blasted her track up to the stable with weedkiller t'other day, as it was beginning to look like the road to the Sleeping Beauty's hideaway. :(

Yesterday, as threats of rain became more solid, I changed tack and spent the afternoon creosoting the chicken shed that's currently 'fallow.' I figured I'd not have such dry, absorbent wood again this year. ;) We'll move the hens in there in another month or so.

Today, I went around that section of orchard and tested all the fence posts.... and two made cracking noises. :eek:

I've figured out a way to put in a new shorter post alongside these sub-standard posts and then coach-bolt them together. With luck that'll hold things for another winter....maybe! :o

Swallows are still here.....:)
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    hi all

oh boy what a 3 day "adventure"....:eek:

having spent Saturday commando style hiding in a maize field and catching a dog that didn't want to be caught.. spent Saturday evening posting on sites re ..lost dog till I was cross eyed !
    sunday to vets for a no chip result, rest of the day trawling round every far flung house/establishment in the district with no result, sunday evening answering 100's of questions on line !! then dog warden taking him today ..
    THEN this afternoon I went with postie to pick up a mare and foal [somewhat neglected] as a rescue !! took them to LIR's capable hands :D.... its a sweet mare but very lack lustre at the moment. needs tender loving care [and the foal] which they will get by the bucket load at LIR's..

got home 8.30 this evening and I am KERNACKERED :o
    driving up to sussex in the morning to pick up friend to bring her home then farrier at 4pm... so another long day !
    roll on next weekend ... im gonna sleep for England !
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    just got up the track towing a trailer and ive got a flat tyre !!!! :mad:

ok all the way to sussex, and bu**ar me its flat as a pancake... so ive got a stacked trailer [due for delivery this evening] and can I find my jack etc ... nah !
    waiting now for gardener chap who lives up the road to rescue me:o

roll on the weekend ....
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Hope someone rescued you alfie. Punctures at home are always preferable to those on the road though!

Still in a stalemate situation with the conservatory company. They are saying, "Tell us what you want and we'll draw it." while we are saying, "How the hell can we do that, when the only CAD pictures we have aren't accurate?"

We don't know how many windows they would place down the front of the structure; it could be 7 or 6. ....along one end it could be 3 or 4. They show doors in the centre of each bit, but they aren't. It goes on...

So....they now have an accurate floor plan and we're saying, "Show us what you'd build on that." And they're saying, "No, can't."

From experience designing kitchens with half a dozen different suppliers, we know this is bollox. :( We have offered to drive 60 miles to their main office to do the design, but that's apparently unacceptable.

And unlike kitchens, where you do a design with 6 different companies, stealing ideas left, right and centre, and only one of them eventually gets the job, this lot have a contract.

Perhaps that's the problem, eh?

We're letting them stew on the back burner. I'm fixing the posts in the chicken run before the storms start instead. :p
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Had builders in for over a week. The last couple of days have been hard as they've srceeded the kitchen floor. Did mean I had to eat out for a couple of nights. Still got the joys of builders dust to clean, Sigh.

DS2 turned 18 yesterday. He decided not to go back to do his second year of A levels but has got an interview to be an apprentice at JCB. Fingers crossed please peeps.

OH picked this week to go on some 'work' trips. Blooming good planning. Took Izzy to companion dog class and she was the naughtiest one there...

L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, digger went last weekend, wife has withdrawal symptoms and looks longingly at JCB website. Am buying her a hard hat as solace for now. A HiViz jacket sits in a package for her at the weekend (and I hope she's not expecting chocolates...)

It's scary how much work a digger can do, and how little I can do in tidying up afterwards with a spade and rake. We took out about 200 metres of utterly useless hedge (much of it dead ash, barbed wire, broken posts, feed bags, thistles, general rubbish and mystery plastic), and I've been tidying it up with hand tools, ready for planting in a couple of months. I've got about 30 metres done so far, and I'm knackered! I've emptied countless wheelbarrows of rubble into the two soakaways for the barns, and still the rubble heap is huge! But, although it's mess, it's progressive mess! Please, tell me it is... it is, it is, it is, IT IS!!! And so it is ;)

Went to a farm auction, was raining lions and wolves the night before, leaving much for sale a mess. Well, most was already a mess when it was dropped off. Rusted-through wheelbarrow, anyone? A dozen office pedal bins? Who wants a wooden ladder (feet rotten, one tread absent) or a now-soggy office chair (three casters only)? Well, it appears some folk did, as only a few lots went unsold (although some went for two quid). It was a toss-up whether the auctioneer would die from lung cancer, stroke or old-age before he managed to kill a punter with his large poking-waving-stick. Several lots (including a large fibreglass water tank did come a cropper as he walloped away inciting bidding (or folk fleeing from the flailing staff). However, he survived, and didn't brain anyone. I got a couple of cheap lots, but failed on the ones I wanted, as they went for silly money. Folk did seem carried away - cheap used, rusty, and possibly long-dead Argos-brand chainsaws going for £25 (they are sometimes £50 new), rotten chicken coops for thirty, hose pipe for a tenner (was £12 on Hotdeals same day for twice the length).... Hmmm... Keep hands in pocket and stick to your max.

I did play "spot the bidder", and it's sometimes impossible. There seems maximum kudos to being an old smelly wreck able to bid with a quantum nostril twitch... I found I fitted in well!

I'm going through the early stages of winnowing the conservatory folk down. I think I've got two reasonable chaps in mind, and have seen their work. It should be all-go in about six weeks, with roof, central heating, conservatory and replaster happening reasonably simultaneously. It will be very messy - especially if "she" gets her hands on a digger at the same time.

At least my guys come up with decent plans, all drawn to scale, nice measurements, clear window openings, decent specs... but different manufacturers... so have to ponder whether one is better than the other, or what. I did price a wooden one, handbuilt. Then I fainted, and changed plans.... Very nice, but I don't really want the same debt mountain as Greece!

Otherwise, it's been a quiet time. No more animals arrived since the sheep, goats have to wait until fencing is better, please no more donkeys (too smart for me, they laugh at my antics, and refuse to help, but are great for a hug).

Oh, and darling wife dug me a flower bed with digger. A big one. It's about four feet above ground in a heap! I shall have nightmares .... if I even get to sleep! :rotfl: It will take days just to flatten out.

Hope everyones beasts dont have punctures, tyres keep on running, and gardens stay as plastic as possible :p

... and :beer: time ....
  • Davesnave
    Options
    We have 200m of hedge to do too, Dafty, but in our case it's going to be reducing it and replanting in places rather than a full replant. At present, we have trees up to about 20', so although we have the face of it cut, it just keeps going upwards and becomes more unkempt and straggly each year.

It can't be like last winter when we took on some of those 20' trees armed only with a hand saw and a rope....:eek:but what to buy???? I am quite tempted by some of the new battery tools coming onto the market now, especially for close combat. Something like a reciprocating saw might come in handy for the thinner branches/trunks and a pole saw for the larger ones. I could operate the latter from the field, rather than balancing precariously in the hedge with a 14" Husky, sawing the occasional limb off.....mine that is!:(

I was looking at a new Brushcutter today. I asked the man what he would recommend for rough grass and he pointed to a DR with wheels. I told him not to be silly, so he led me to a Kawasaki-engined beast and told me it would out-rev the Honda by miles.....I'd like that. :)

Much as I like what's left of the Honda, it doesn't do the two-stroke acceleration thing...... Raaaaaaa!:DRaaaaa! :D

I was really in town to look at conservatories and make a few decisions, which I've done, but with nothing emanating from the company in the way of a scaled plan, or even a further communication, I think I'll have to try the salesman for my next approach. Once I've spoken to him, I may know whether the deal we did was just too good.....:o

We have the potential flower bed too, about 20' long and 4' high. DW is currently sieving it, but when the weather turns that'll become tricky. We're just trying to get all the good stuff out before Pete removes the surplus. The new patio areas and pathways are taking loads of the rubble, smashed-up tiles, etc we still had, which is great. Note I said 'patio areas' The patio will be some time yet! :rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    this is the rescue pair.... now with LIR :T

2edb5sx.jpg
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts