Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Daydream fund challenge part 4 - Page 501

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

edited 4 October 2014 at 11:24AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10.6K replies 825.4K views

Replies

• DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fay wrote: »
    Completely agree Dave re: burnout, it's s big risk in mental health but most people seem to think us psychologists are immune. But I've felt close to it at times. Sadly the management don't understand what we do and therefore the need for breaks and holidays etc. working over is expected although they will never say this, but the job is not manageable without it.

I loved working with children, but there's no doubt that being locked up with about 30 of them for 30 hours a week isn't a 'normal' experience, or an easy one.

I also felt the tensions in my later career, when more of the curriculum was imposed from above, because I was used to doing things in depth, not flitting about in the ways that became fashionable. I know things have gone full circle now, but during that period when SATs results became the main focus, almost everything I'd stood for seemed to be under attack and it was very disheartening.

No doubt the same sorts of thing have happened in the NHS with targets, quotas and so on. Everyone likes the results if they 'improve,' and no one may question sufficiently just how they were achieved! :rotfl:
    Patron to The Warning
    "No country has ever improved the health of its citizens by making them poorer." John Lee - Professor of Pathology. UK.
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rummer wrote: »
    Dave, would you consider tutoring or would you rather be doing something else?

I've never done any tutoring. I've no objections to others doing it, but I never wanted to charge privately for teaching.

I suppose this goes back to my days in primary school and having extra maths lessons at the home of a very stern, somewhat bearded lady, called Miss Braddick.

There was nothing Miss Braddick didn't know about fractions, but I was just very scared and spent most of my time quaking at the scariness of her dark, Victorian house and the weirdness of her facial hair. :eek:

If I learned anything, it was simply so that I could stop going there!:rotfl:
    Patron to The Warning
    "No country has ever improved the health of its citizens by making them poorer." John Lee - Professor of Pathology. UK.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Well blood test done, think if I need more etc I will def ask to have them done first thing in the morning, as now I got the rest of the day to injoy..was talking to hubby yesterday.. And said since we made / forced to make the decision to close our main business, I have not had a dizzy spell.....

Was going to do some sorting and listing for the bay today, but as its such a nice day, think I will skip that and make the most of the weather ...as they have forecasted rain for the weekend...
    Work to live= not live to work
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fay, a friend our ours is training to be a therapist , and he said it is mentally and emotionally draining...SL they have group talks to make sure they can cope with people they are trying to help,

I take my hat off to people who try to help people through their emotions and trauma that they have been through...
  • alfie_1alfie_1 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Well blood test done, think if I need more etc I will def ask to have them done first thing in the morning, as now I got the rest of the day to injoy..was talking to hubby yesterday.. And said since we made / forced to make the decision to close our main business, I have not had a dizzy spell.....

Was going to do some sorting and listing for the bay today, but as its such a nice day, think I will skip that and make the most of the weather ...as they have forecasted rain for the weekend...

good for you :T
    what a difference a decision makes ! freedom and a puppy :D
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    good for you :T
    what a difference a decision makes ! freedom and a puppy :D

YES.. A puppy , who is zonked out on my lap lol

The small unit we are renting now to store all my vintage crap is on a year to year notice, so hoping to start selling it all off , so I think the nylon fetish brigade will be happy with all it all being listed on the bay lol
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lola
    FB_IMG_1441961603085_zpsdv4iataa.jpg
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh my goodness.... now that face could cheer the gloomiest of days !!!
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alfie I have messaged you on fb, with a thought/ idea
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alfie I have messaged you on fb, with a thought/ idea

answered :D