We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the compost heap for me or plant a tree atop of me such as am Elder so that wine can be made - once wrote a story about that.

Raining heavy - curtains of the wet stuff, just a day to go away shopping.

Hairy cat jut brought in a baby bird - another.......don't mind mice as such, but the birds............
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fir and I have talked about it a fair bit because it all likelihood I'm going a lot before him. We have thought diamond dress studs for his evening shirts, so he could take me out still. ( more, than we get out nowadays, lol) but I'm going off that idea, and a new partner might be a big put off my me joining them on fancy nights out.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If I go here, they can bury me up at the Dog End and plant 3 populus tremula on top.

Noisiest tree I know, and they'll get into his drains too, with a bit of luck! :rotfl:
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Turns out I DO know someone from the nursery that phoebe mentioned. I contacted to ask him if he knew where it was and he does. I have a few plants from there as it turns out. Ooops. ;) .
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    evening all :D

been at work all day overseeing shutters being put in / on the kitchen windows and then in the sun/bird room.. man is back tomorrow to finish off.... they look superb !

also got to talking to said man and turns out he has a lot of "spares/misfits" in his garage :eek: I tried to keep calm and ask what he does with them... he got as far as "dump em" and I didn't hear past that ! so tomorrow morning I will make him a nice cuppa with a biskwit :D:D

if/when I get them.. I will measure and share ;);)

saw two odd/ funny things tonight ,taking the 2 dogs home, one was on a rural road a traffic halt due to a SQUIRREL !! it was playing in the middle of the road...:rotfl: it was chasing its tail, tumbling and then sitting up looking at the cars.. everyone was laughing and waited patiently .....
    second was a big crow sat in the road [busy road] it was intent on pecking something off the road oblivious to the halting traffic:rotfl: it suddenly looked up and took off at 90mph..

its been hot here today... maybe addled their brains ...
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 June 2015 at 7:16PM
    Options
    Your shutters sound lovely, Alfie :)

Very 'close' here today, but quite overcast and a few spots of rain - hoped it was going to progress into a thunder storm, but nothing as yet.....

Have been busy in the garden again and even managed to drag DH away from business things for a while so he could plant a large Cornus for me ;)

Today's planting - more bog standard cottage garden stuff really - includes Armeria Pseudarmeria Ballerina Lilac, Penstemon Heterophyllus Electric Blue, Helenium Double Trouble, Leucanthemum White Knight, Mimulus (Bifidus & Aurantiacus) and Halimium Iasianthium Concolor......

All of these have been purchased to fill large-ish areas with colour for this year, but my plan is - once I have a greenhouse up and running - to grow some more interesting examples from seed.....I've a list as long as my arm, lol!

Just need to get the alpines planted up in the pond area now, then I'm done for a while......or at least till the next mini project (probably the *architectural* bed, which still needs some work such as planting up masses of box balls :o).....

The garden is becoming quite a riot of colour, what with the established planting (or at least that which survived two years of neglect) and our additions, which hopefully compliment the original stuff.

I'm not happy with the terrace yet - not enough colour there. Trouble is I'm a big foliage person and often choose plants that have disappointing flowers in favour of an interesting leaf :o Need to give that area more thought......
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good news with mauve squeaker cat. Phew.

Hay is cut and yet it seems very dodgy weather wise. We might lose the crop and end up buying in anyway. Yield is very low too, such a dry spring. You just cannot win! Wet and you get a great crop and cannot dry it out ( with out great fancy drying barns) dry and you get a light crop. We seem to have reverse of perfect here.....dry spring and threatening wet cut. Well. You win and some and lose some. I'll take a lost hay cut and a healthy cat over the other way round any year. Even one we are less flush in. :)

Planting for foliage is really very skilled I think phoebe. I am really very poor at it. Its only recently I've come round to foliage at all.... A pretty flower turns my head every time though....
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    talking of foliage planting.. I made up this tin bath at work.. hostas ,ivy,ferns..

rkooeg.jpg
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    yet to flower

2dgoqhi.jpg
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yet to flower? That's a huge bed of Wargrave Pink, or something like it, and that's flowering! :p

I have this B I G geranium, but I can never remember if it's maderense, palmatum or canariense. Anyway, it's slowly taking over the small bank below the poly and it's started popping up in the hedges too......:D

14adf1y.jpg

Finalised our kitchen today. To be honest it's not what I would've chosen on my own, but I'm happy enough. As it's one of the cheaper ranges, we may well team it with a Karndean floor, which is something we both like. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback