We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The £1,000 emergency fund challenge.

1…306307309311312…340

Comments

  • My direct debit has gone out so a further £25 has been added to my emergency fund. That means that #232 is now up to £327 - that's just under a third of the way there :j. Happy days
    £2 coin savings club 2026 #1 £88 (2025 £696; 2024 £692; 2023 £754; 2022 £472; 2021 £256; 2020 £358; 2019 £512; 2018 £404; 2017 640) Saving for Xmas £1 a day 2026 #1 £270 / £730 3-6 month emergency fund challenge #48 £20.050 Save a penny a day 2026 #4 £127.05 / £667.95 £1000 emergency fund challenge #232 £1,007/ £1,000 (achieved Nov 2020)
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Xmas Saver!
    #288 - Update from me now that it's October.

    Currently I only have £13.45 in my EF account, but I do also have about £60 in savings 'sinking funds' for things that I've started now that my debts are all but gone and 100% under control. My EF is getting a regular payment weekly, plus all pennies are being rounded whenever there is a bill that comes out. If I'm honest, so far this month money is giving me kittens - I think it's because we've changed emphasis and now I feel like we 'should' have more money than what we do...I've re-done my budget which I work to zero so every £1 has a job. Hubby seems to think that we have loads of money to spend, but what I keep saying is that we have dug ourselves out of the hole, now we need to build ourselves up. 1st target is my £1000 EF plus making sure we pay cash for Christmas :eek: which we have NEVER been able to do before, not without seeing ourselves very short in other departments.
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 14/4/25 = £14,880.45
    Savings Goal = £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • Hello all, checking back in after a ridiculously long absence!! Anyway I’m back on the savings wagon again so current total for #141 is £151.12/£1000 :)
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Xmas Saver!
    #288 mine has just been wiped out becuase the car decided to develop an issue and need a part costing me £68.....had £78 in my savings/EF and after using the last £10 to get my guinea pigs a couple of much needed new things....iI'm wiped out. Roll on Thursday when I can start the replenishment!
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 14/4/25 = £14,880.45
    Savings Goal = £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • dreambig19
    dreambig19 Posts: 112 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Hello, can I join in with this please?
    If so my current total savings towards my EF is £50.
    Thank you - R
    New Lightbulb moment: August 2023 (originally Sep 2019 but fell off the rails... more than once)Starting Debt: £??? | Current Debt: £??? | ???% paid :j
    Debt-free Wannabe challenges:August 2023 £10 a day: £16.51/£310PAD: Additional payments made: £8.40 (start: 01/08/23)Tilly Tidy: £??? (start: 01/08/23)
  • 293 checking in. Have been having a very un-MSE few weeks so not making much debt busting progress.
    A couple of delay repay payments have trickled through.
    EF: 65.60/1000
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Welcome to member #297, dreambig19.


    Had an eye test this week, so £40 spent. This is the first time I have had to pay for an eye test as I used to be exempt due to having to wear glasses with complex lenses. Cataract surgery back in 2011 cured this, but the opticians I started to use still filed the NHS form for free site tests.
    Their logic was that even though I no longer needed glasses as my right eye was non-functional, it would still require a complex lense to correct the vision due.


    Still, I did at least put £2.60 into my EF and have a load more to deposit at home.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

    Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

    3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

  • Hello everyone,


    I've had to take £300 out of my EF as I couldn't physically access my other savings to take £250 out of them and £50 from the EF to make up the money for the emergency, so my EF now stands at £200.


    #187 £200/£1000


    I hope to make it back up to £500 or thereabouts on payday.
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Xmas Saver!
    Replenishment has begun!! 2 paydays - and I've put £50 into my 'fund'. Who knew that having no debts would make it easier to save!! :rotfl: I've never had £50 in it EVER!!!!
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 14/4/25 = £14,880.45
    Savings Goal = £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • Hi all

    Can I please join this challenge? Have been attempting to start an emergency fund for a few months but keep overspending and pulling the money back into my main account. Have rejigged my finances to properly start my emergency fund and currently have £41.14 in the account I have set aside for it. Have spent the last few days reading all 155 pages and have picked up some ideas and looking forward to putting them into practice.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.