ftse in fee fall- xmas predictions?

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MadMat wrote: »
    VLS 80 doesn't seem to be faring as well though :( i'm now about 6% down on the highest point mine reached and 0.5% down overall, drip feeding VLS80 monthly for the last 15 months

Which reinforces the oft spoken advice on here that monthly drip feeding helps smooth things out!

Mat

VLS80 is above the risk level of most UK investors. So, to invest in this one, you have to accept the loss potential of around 35-40%. In that respect, 6% is nothing.

Drip feeding is good in periods of volatility. However, it should be noted that in most cases, drip feeding will result in lower returns than investing on a given day. Drip feeding should not be seen as a way to invest above your risk profile as in the long term, the value will get to a point where 35-40% losses will be far more noticeable on the value than the same occurring in the early years.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MadMat
    MadMat Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    VLS80 is above the risk level of most UK investors. So, to invest in this one, you have to accept the loss potential of around 35-40%. In that respect, 6% is nothing.

Drip feeding is good in periods of volatility. However, it should be noted that in most cases, drip feeding will result in lower returns than investing on a given day. Drip feeding should not be seen as a way to invest above your risk profile as in the long term, the value will get to a point where 35-40% losses will be far more noticeable on the value than the same occurring in the early years.

Thanks for the heads up,but I went I to VLS 80 with my eyes open and a 12+ year investment plan, I do log in and look at the value daily, but out of interest not panic ;)

Mat
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unicorn UK income is another story though but with a divi of over 5% need to remember that!

Which shares generate the income?

London Mining caught a few people on the hope when it went under.
  • racing_blue
    Options
    I'll have a punt.

FTSE 6310 now
    average growth 8% per year
    a fifth of a year left until Christmas
    So at a guess the FTSE will be a fifth of 8% higher... 6411

right or wrong, there's my logic!
  • BarleyGB
    BarleyGB Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    FTSE posted a 6 month record gain this week.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 October 2014 at 10:24PM
    Options
    Markets go up. Markets go down. If scared by the recent dips that's a sign that reconsidering your risk tolerance might be appropriate. That 40% drop in two or three days will happen and you won't be able to sell in time to avoid it if you use funds. You could if you used ETFs or shares, but just when do you set the sell thresholds so you don't sell just before a bounce back up? :)

Here's what some more real market volatility looks like, daily value changes for around a dozen funds combined from 9 October to the end of November 2008:

In there you'll finds runs of drops over a few days amounting to 8.9%, 17.7%, 9.1%, 13.3%, 7.3% and 14%. The total drop was 32%. Within that there was a gain run of 18.5%. Hold on to your stomach, it can be a wild rollercoaster ride.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MadMat wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up,but I went I to VLS 80 with my eyes open and a 12+ year investment plan, I do log in and look at the value daily, but out of interest not panic ;)

Mat

And remember that you can always lifestyle with another VLS fund if 80% works out to be a bit much for you. I'm running at about 70% overall.
  • omgpop1
    omgpop1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    just buy apple or shire or abbv beats any index
    shire up over 100% in yr 60% abbv appl 40
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    omgpop1 wrote: »
    shire up over 100% in yr

I can see how often you keep up todate with events. As have fallen back a little.
  • omgpop1
    omgpop1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    I can see how often you keep up todate with events. As have fallen back a little.

please i meant summer last year when it was £20 to now, so 1 and half yr,aka 100% to 41£ now. btw i had shire shares and i sold them at 51.4 before takeover collapsed, wasnt worth the risk in waiting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure